Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start putting out this video everywhere, I'd appreciate your views as I can always make changes. I've only used thumbnails as I can't afford video clips, but I've used some effects intead.

Thing is, I've done video trailers for single books, but never for a series or a trilogy, so I'm asking if you think it works, having kept it to one minute?

If you have suggestions they'd be appreciated, I won't be offended by crit.

It's best viewed by clicking on the screen where it says YouTube as you can't expand to full screen on here

·
Registered
283 Posts
Its not bad but if I came across it randomly, I would click away. The reason being it does not grab my attention. My first thoughts are the images are out of place. For example, the opening image of the trilogy I would leave at the end. The text throughout are more like bullet points that are causing no excitement. I dont need to know every single issue, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, just name a few :)

Something to consider, the image at 43seconds is powerful, its attention grabbing and sets the tone/theme for your books . (I presume) Why not put it at the start of the video with something like,  The consitution is dead, and a rebirth is about to begin....

Only other advice is to set the stakes early on.... ie In a world besieged by natural disasters, hope lies in x, the problem? Rob and son must travel 1k miles on foot to get there...

The above is just a basic example, not perfect but might have you thinking of other ways to get this story across.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trioxin 245 said:
Its not bad but if I came across it randomly, I would click away. The reason being it does not grab my attention. My first thoughts are the images are out of place. For example, the opening image of the trilogy I would leave at the end. The text throughout are more like bullet points that are causing no excitement. I dont need to know every single issue, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, just name a few :)

Something to consider, the image at 43seconds is powerful, its attention grabbing and sets the tone/theme for your books . (I presume) Why not put it at the start of the video with something like, The consitution is dead, and a rebirth is about to begin....

Only other advice is to set the stakes early on.... ie In a world besieged by natural disasters, hope lies in x, the problem? Rob and son must travel 1k miles on foot to get there...

The above is just a basic example, not perfect but might have you thinking of other ways to get this story across.
Really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Some good points about the bullet points and setting the stakes earlier. I'd not though of that when putting it together.

It tricky about where to place that image of the constitution on fire, other that most people click off video trailers at 40 or so according to youtube, and that's where it starts, so maybe it will keep them watching if they get that far. I didn't put it there because of that, It's in there in order of the trilogy as it only applies to Secession, the second book. I'm wondering if maybe putting that image in as a thumbnail so it shows before the video starts would help with clicks?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
The music is good. I'd start with one of the disaster images, then maybe cut to the book covers. But then, I'm not a video expert or good with advertising, so maybe more with experience at it can give you a better idea of your ad's effectiveness.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Trioxin 245 said:

Something to consider, the image at 43seconds is powerful, its attention grabbing and sets the tone/theme for your books . (I presume) Why not put it at the start of the video with something like, The consitution is dead, and a rebirth is about to begin....

This.

I'd also try to put as little text as possible on each slide. When people are reading more than a line or so of text, they aren't looking at the images so why bother with having a trailer and not just a blurb :D

I'd think about having one central image - the fire works really well - and speeding things up as the trailer progresses to get a sense of urgency and tension. I'd also think about changing up the music. Currently it sounds a bit corporate training video.

Btw, have you looked at videvo.net - they have a bunch of footage that you can use for free so long as you credit the creator.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kathrynoh said:
This.

I'd also try to put as little text as possible on each slide. When people are reading more than a line or so of text, they aren't looking at the images so why bother with having a trailer and not just a blurb :D

I'd think about having one central image - the fire works really well - and speeding things up as the trailer progresses to get a sense of urgency and tension. I'd also think about changing up the music. Currently it sounds a bit corporate training video.

Btw, have you looked at videvo.net - they have a bunch of footage that you can use for free so long as you credit the creator.
That's one for and one against the music so far.

Thanks for the observations. I think you're both right about reducing the text. I set each caption at seven seconds to try and give time to read, so best I cut the text down as you say.

I looked at the free video site you mentioned where you can give credit to the originator, but I couldn't find anything suitable.

286 Posts
Not my genre, but I think I'd start with the Constitution burning, then the dad and his son, add a few other images (like the map) and end with the burning book covers. 

The music is okay, but I think you could find something a little more intense.  I use the free version of Lumen5, and they have a lot of great music!  Best of luck with the trailer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Decon said:
Before I start putting out this video everywhere, I'd appreciate your views as I can always make changes. I've only used thumbnails as I can't afford video clips, but I've used some effects intead.

Thing is, I've done video trailers for single books, but never for a series or a trilogy, so I'm asking if you think it works, having kept it to one minute?

If you have suggestions they'd be appreciated, I won't be offended by crit.

You should have a Voice Over for this trailer, really.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] said:
Not my genre, but I think I'd start with the Constitution burning, then the dad and his son, add a few other images (like the map) and end with the burning book covers.

The music is okay, but I think you could find something a little more intense. I use the free version of Lumen5, and they have a lot of great music! Best of luck with the trailer.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check out Lumen5.

I'm wondering if I should do separate book video trailers after considering the suggestions.

The reason for the burning constitution which everyone likes being further down the line is that it only apples to the second book, but I understand what everyone is saying.

Book one is the disaster. Book two is about secession brought about after the disaster, and book three is about invasion of the resulting weak divided country. That's the problem I have

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
God only knows I'm no expert on video trailers, but I thought it was attention grabbing with the flames popping up throughout.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LUO BAI said:
You should have a Voice Over for this trailer, really.
You could be right, but I don't have the voice for it, and voice overs cost money which I don't have. :) :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gregg Bell said:
God only knows I'm no expert on video trailers, but I thought it was attention grabbing with the flames popping up throughout.
Thanks Greg. My MC in the trilogy nearly had your name. but when I saw your posts a while back, I change it to Rob Bell, lol

The thing is, I don't think video trailers sell books for individual authors with only a few books, or gain subscribers to youtube. They just give an awareness of brand with something of interest on say your blog. The size of files uness you compress them are usually above the file limits for sending e-mails to your mailing lists.

Video trailers as far as books are concerned on youtube or any other type of similar media don't attract you subscribers because you are not catering to readers interests to search it out. You are just saying, look at me, look at what I can do, I've wriiten this book and you're promoting it to an untargeted audience. Without views and a considerable number of subscribers, then youtube algos wont give you visibilty, even with specific tags, which is why I wont pay anyone say $350 to produce a video trailer..

To get subscribers that mean anything you have to have a channel that offers something readers will search for because they have a need, and even then, they say you need at least 30 video trailers before you start to piling up the subscribers with such as how to- video trailers. Then it's a numbers game as you could say slip in a video of one of your books, and one of your thousands of subscribers might just buy it from a notification of upload. Trouble is, making how to video trailers are time consuming, though you can earn money from them. It would just detract from valuable writing time.

I did think about setting up a kindle unlimited video trailer channel and asking authors to let me post their video trailers to get the number as that would be a need, but that would be time consuming, especially marketing the channel.

At least that's what I think.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Decon said:
Thanks Greg. My MC in the trilogy nearly had your name. but when I saw your posts a while back, I change it to Rob Bell, lol

The thing is, I don't think video trailers sell books for individual authors with only a few books, or gain subscribers to youtube. They just give an awareness of brand with something of interest on say your blog. The size of files uness you compress them are usually above the file limits for sending e-mails to your mailing lists.

Video trailers as far as books are concerned on youtube or any other type of similar media don't attract you subscribers because you are not catering to readers interests to search it out. You are just saying, look at me, look at what I can do, I've wriiten this book and you're promoting it to an untargeted audience. Without views and a considerable number of subscribers, then youtube algos wont give you visibilty, even with specific tags, which is why I wont pay anyone say $350 to produce a video trailer..

To get subscribers that mean anything you have to have a channel that offers something readers will search for because they have a need, and even then, they say you need at least 30 video trailers before you start to piling up the subscribers with such as how to- video trailers. Then it's a numbers game as you could say slip in a video of one of your books, and one of your thousands of subscribers might just buy it from a notification of upload. Trouble is, making how to video trailers are time consuming, though you can earn money from them. It would just detract from valuable writing time.

I did think about setting up a kindle unlimited video trailer channel and asking authors to let me post their video trailers to get the number as that would be a need, but that would be time consuming, especially marketing the channel.

At least that's what I think.
LOL Gregg Bell as the MC would've been interesting. (I wouldn't have sued.) But I hear you about the video trailers. You've got to write books that hit the spot with a target audience. That's what we need to do. That said, you did a nice job on the trailer and it certainly will help you to connect with that target audience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts