Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this in my email this morning and have confirmed that it is true and not a hoax. I wasn't sure where to post this, Harvey & Mods move it if you feel there is a better place.

Since many of us are waiting on shipments for kindles, covers, rice cookers :), etc I thought it would be prudent to warn everyone of the virus below.

The newest virus circulating is the UPS/Fed Ex Delivery Failure. You will receive an email from UPS/Fed Ex Service along with a packet number. It will say that they were unable to deliver a package sent to you on such-and-such a date. It then asks you to print out the invoice copy attached. DON'T TRY TO PRINT THIS. IT LAUNCHES THE VIRUS! Pass this warning on to all your PC operators at work and home. This virus has caused Millions of dollars in damage in the past few days.

Snopes confirms that it is real.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/ups.asp

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
Care is warranted. . . .but read carefully: according to Snopes, the one going around last year says "we couldn't deliver the package you sent" So if you didn't send any packages. . . .

Chey indicates the message he got says the bogus message says "package sent to you." So it's not clear if there really is a new version going around that Snopes just hasn't got info on yet, or if this is a warning of a virus that sort of isn't.

Incidentally the latest update on Snopes is from March. . . .I'm sure if something similar starts circulating they'll update again. . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts