Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I searched and found what a Vook is, but couldn't find anything about how to use it on a Kindle. I have a few and they are on my Kindle. I can read them, but don't know how to get the videos to work. Can anyone explain that to me?

smwoodcrafts

·
Super Moderator
67,441 Posts
You won't be able to get the video part to work on the Kindle.  But they should work via the "Kindle for" apps that are available form many computers, smartphones and tablets.  I admit, however, that I have basically zero interest in a "vook" so I've not tried it on either my Droid, Xoom, or PC.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
is it setting up for a tablet coming? I have 3 ebooks with video componants on my ipad and it is really nice, 1 is Bernard Cornwall talking within and about the book "The fort"  the other 2 are demos of moves within pilates books. they were free at the time so I though I would try.
sylvia

editing to add I got to try it on my ipad.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I grabbed a couple of the Vooks cause they were interesting.  The videos are nice, but I don't mind missing them on the Kindle. 

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I grabbed a couple of the Vooks cause they were interesting. The videos are nice, but I don't mind missing them on the Kindle.
Yeah, I always thought the video was more of a novelty than a necessity for a book. Even audio is unnecessary. I've tried a few books on tape, and the first thing I noticed is that they take much longer to get through.

For that reason, the audiobooks are sometimes "abridged" -- you're not getting every word that's in the print edition -- and that got me thinking about the issues of distribution. It would be even more expensive and cumbersome to try having video that corresponded to what you were reading in a video-book at all times, and the makers of vooks obviously know that, and have confined themselves to supplementary material.

But then by definition, "supplementary" material isn't essential for the book -- which goes back to my first point. It's just more of a novelty than a necessity...

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've been snapping up interesting free Vook titles lately, stashing them in hopes that they will work and be cool when the Amazon tablets come out. Fingers crossed. I really want a tablet, but am waiting to see what the ones from Amazon can do before buying one. I'm hoping they have settings to make reading a better experience than what I hear about the Ipads, etc. I love my kindle, but want a tablet too for things that are better in color, like magazines.

·
Registered
993 Posts
One of the books I bought for the kindle has some weird sections that say, "video disabled on this device." I didn't even know they were supposed to have video!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Tara Maya said:
One of the books I bought for the kindle has some weird sections that say, "video disabled on this device." I didn't even know they were supposed to have video!
Tara, the Enhanced or Animated books that are meant for Kindle for Apple devices average between 40-55 megabytes, one of those taking up the room equivalent to 40-60 text novels on the Kindle. The average novel is under 1 megabyte.

Since they can't be played on the Kindle, I wouldn't keep it on the Kindle unless the text is really fascinating :) But, once you've bought one of these books (for $0.00) you'll be able to download one to your Apple device if you have or ever get one...

·
Super Moderator
67,441 Posts
artsandhistoryfan said:
Since they can't be played on the Kindle, I wouldn't keep it on the Kindle unless the text is really fascinating :) But, once you've bought one of these books (for $0.00) you'll be able to download one to your Apple device if you have or ever get one...
Or another brand tablet device. . .they're not apple specific in most cases, I believe. At least, the write up on the pages only reference iThings, but it allowed me to download to my XOOM just fine. . . so I'll have to see if they work on it. . . . .

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Or another brand tablet device. . .they're not apple specific in most cases, I believe. At least, the write up on the pages only reference iThings, but it allowed me to download to my XOOM just fine. . . so I'll have to see if they work on it. . . . .
I'll be interested to hear/read what you find, re your Xoom. Yes, the Vook descriptions say they're for the iThings but one would think they'd mention other devices since Kindle users have a variety of side devices...

Maybe they have an agreement with Apple to push Apple devices for the books.

They're in a special format for Kindle for iApps, I'd think. They'd need a different app to read them on Kindle for Android, normally... Hmmm.

·
Super Moderator
67,441 Posts
Well. . .sadly. . . .though I could download them just fine. . .they're really just books on my Xoom.  You can see the links for the videos, but they're not live and you can't go anywhere to actually see them.  My Xoom is WiFi only, but it was definitely connected at the time.

One would think, as Amazon is rumored to be working on an android based tablet, that they'd sell "Vooks" that would work on Android.

Be interesting to see where this concept goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts