Kindle Forum banner

VOYAGER: Week of 5/11; Reading Chapters 32-39, Discuss Chapters 24-31 here

12K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  danfan 
#1 ·
Again, big apologies for not keeping up with you guys. It's been a very big week for me.

Short section to read this week (chapters 32-39), but lots of things happening.

Here are the questions for Chapters 24-31.

Part 6--Voyager

"Edinburgh"
Chapters 24-31

1. What was your first reaction to Claire being back in the past?

2. What would you have thought if you found that bit of Saran Wrap that Claire dropped in the street?

3. What do you think was the purpose of having Claire meet the 29 year old woman with the three children in the shop in Edinburgh?

4. What were you feeling as Claire approached Jamie's print shop? Do you think DG took too long to get Claire there?

5. Did Jamie and Claire's reunion live up to your expectations?

6. Discuss Jamie's reaction to seeing Brianna's photos? How did you feel when he broke down in Claire's arms?

7. What was your first impression of Mr. Willoughby?

8. Were you surprised that Jamie and Claire almost immediately got into trouble?

9. Why do you think it was important for Jamie to know why Claire came back?

"Sassenach, will ye take me - and risk the man that I am, for the sake of the man that ye knew?"

10. We already know that Jamie is involved in seditious activities. Do you think his life has changed so much that Claire may have a hard time accepting who he is now? How do you feel about the man Jamie has become?

11. Ian shows up at the "kittle-hoosie." and he seems to be at odds with Jamie. What do you think of their changed relationship?

12. Young Ian then shows up. What is your first impression of him?

13. Were you happy to see Fergus again? What do you think of his involvement with Jamie's smuggling activities?

14. What did you think of the story of The Fiend. Do you think this will play a part in the story?

15. What did you think of the print shop burning down and Jamie's rescue of Young Ian?

16. Do you think Young Ian's refusal to go with his father that night further strained the relationship between Ian and Jamie?

17. What did you think of Fergus' solution for Young Ian's sleeping arrangements?

18. What was your impression of Rev. Archibald Campbell?

19. What was your impression of Miss Campbell? Did you believe that Jamie was involved with her during the Rising?

20. Who do you think betrayed Jamie at Arbroath?

21. Jamie, Claire and Young Ian are headed back to Lallybroch. What surprise do you think is in store for Claire when they get there?

See less See more
#2 ·
Part 6--Voyager

"Edinburgh"
Chapters 24-31

I felt like Claire was where she belonged. It isn't just Jamie, although he is certainly the biggest factor in her traveling back in time. She was happiest at that time and in that place.

2. What would you have thought if you found that bit of Saran Wrap that Claire dropped in the street?

Witches!!! I think Claire could have disposed of it a bit better. It's like throwing something out your car window and thinking you haven't littered because it's being blown away. It's blown away to somewhere and doesn't just disappear.

3. What do you think was the purpose of having Claire meet the 29 year old woman with the three children in the shop in Edinburgh?

I think meeting that woman gave Claire more confidence that Jamie wouldn't think she had aged so much.

4. What were you feeling as Claire approached Jamie's print shop? Do you think DG took too long to get Claire there?

I think my heart was fluttering a bit, not knowing what Claire would find. At first I thought DG took too much time. Now I feel that time was necessary for Claire to reabsorb herself into the past.

Oh, yes. They were a tentative at first, trying to bridge 20 years apart. Poor Jamie. Of all the shocks he's had in his life, I think this one about did him in. There was laughter, too, with all the tears.

6. Discuss Jamie's reaction to seeing Brianna's photos? How did you feel when he broke down in Claire's arms?

Jamie had never even seen a photograph before, but he accepted them, just as he had accepted Claire 20 years before. It had to be one heck of a shock to see her grow up before his very eyes.

I can certainly understand Jamie breaking down. He's had to give up both his children, but at least he knew William was safe with John. He had no idea if Brianna had survived and never expected to know anything about her, even her gender. Underlying all that was the feeling that he had actually succeeded in what he meant to do just before Culloden.

Trouble. Major trouble. I had to wonder what Jamie was really doing with him. Of course Jamie rescued him. He just can't resist taking care of strays.

8. Were you surprised that Jamie and Claire almost immediately got into trouble?

That's our Jamie and Claire!!! It seems to me from reading this section that Jamie had his business pretty much in order. Claire comes along and right away, things start to go wrong. Love it.

I don't think Jamie is willing to risk the life he has built, such as it is, and especially his heart, if all Claire intended to do was tell him about Brianna and leave again. He's spent the last 20 years being very careful of opening himself up to anyone, and wants to make sure he can still trust her.

"Sassenach, will ye take me - and risk the man that I am, for the sake of the man that ye knew?"

10. We already know that Jamie is involved in seditious activities. Do you think his life has changed so much that Claire may have a hard time accepting who he is now? How do you feel about the man Jamie has become?

I think Claire went back with the intention of accepting whatever circumstances Jamie was in. The only thing she was worried about was the possibility of another woman in his life.

Jamie is still walking a dangerous tightrope, but he's become much better at it. He is still doing what he has to do to take care of his own. I think the difference now is that he's no longer concerned that his activities are illegal. He is following his own path, not one laid down for him by other people ... Colum, Dougal, Charlie, John.

11. Ian shows up at the "kittle-hoosie." and he seems to be at odds with Jamie. What do you think of their changed relationship?

Very surprised. Considering what Jamie put himself through to make sure Lallybroch and his family were safe, I would think Ian would be a bit more tolerant. I'm sure this scene isn't the first where they were at odds.

A very likeable kid and one fated to get himself into a lot of trouble. He's got a lot of Jamie in him, I think.

13. Were you happy to see Fergus again? What do you think of his involvement with Jamie's smuggling activities?

Very happy to see Fergus. I don't think it's much of a leap to take Fergus from pickpocket, to rebel, to smuggler.

14. What did you think of the story of The Fiend. Do you think this will play a part in the story?

Very Jack the Ripper-like. Yes. Knowing DG, we'll see The Fiend again.

15. What did you think of the print shop burning down and Jamie's rescue of Young Ian?

Jamie has to start all over again ... again. No way was he not going to rescue Young Ian. Just another spectacular Jamie feat.

16. Do you think Young Ian's refusal to go with his father that night further strained the relationship between Ian and Jamie?

Yes. There's more going on here than meets the eye at this point. Young Ian hero-worships his uncle and his father has to resent that. That undercurrent of something wrong between Ian and Jamie has to add fuel to that fire.

17. What did you think of Fergus' solution for Young Ian's sleeping arrangements?

Well, hmmm, yes. Fergus would think of that. Jamie must have been shocked to the core to find out Fergus had brought both Young Jamie and Michael to Madame Jeanne's.

He's a fanatic, and possibly a dangerous one.

19. What was your impression of Miss Campbell? Did you believe that Jamie was involved with her during the Rising?

Obviously, she went through a terrible experience after Culloden and most of the time, she manages to block it out of her mind. No way did Jamie pretend to be her sweetheart to get information from her.

Not sure at all. There was no one near Claire and Ian when the two excisemen were under the tree. It seems like the person who betrayed Jamie is the one who hanged the exciseman.

21. Jamie, Claire and Young Ian are headed back to Lallybroch. What surprise do you think is in store for Claire when they get there?

It's obvious that Ian, Fergus and Young Ian nearly let something slip several times, which means Jamie is hiding something. I guess it's not enough that Jamie is involved in sedition and smuggling. There's something else going on.

#3 ·
Part 6--Voyager

"Edinburgh"
Chapters 24-31

Scared about what the trip would do to her, but thrilled that she would be back with Jamie.

I probably would not have really paid much attention. Too many other important things to worry about, like how to feed the family.

Although Claire was almost 20 years older, she looked younger because of modern hygiene.

I was getting tense, waiting for that moment. DG added to the suspense by drawing it out.

It was typical of them. You would expect them to rush into each other's arms, but instead, Jamie sits in the ale.

He knew he had a child, but to actually see the evidence was so overwhelming. It really hit home what he had missed over the last 20 years, but it also made him feel like he had done the right thing to send Claire back.

Very amusing. But I wondered how Jamie ended up with him.

They always managed to get into trouble. So, it made it seem that some things had not changed for them.

Claire had no way of knowing all he had been and done over the last 20 years. He was probably afraid she would leave again, and he could not let her go again.

Jamie is still the same man. He is doing what he thinks he has to to take care of his responsibilities. Claire would have been disappointed with anything less. I don't think he is ashamed of what he has done, but is worried that Claire may not understand why. It has been 20 years, after all, and she comes from a time when life and morals are very different.

He doesn't like what Jamie does, but seems to have a hard time understanding that he is doing it for the family. Maybe the problem is his own feelings of inadequacy that Jamie has to take care of the family.

Typical teenage boy. He is determined to prove himself, but just ends up causing more trouble.

I was so happy. I love Fergus. He is completely devoted to Jamie, so he could not be anywhere else.

Take off on Jack the Ripper. The Fiend has to show up somewhere else.

Someone burned it down because of what Jamie was printing. Again, Jamie just did what needed to be done. I was so glad Ian was ok.

Definitely. Ian feels like he has lost his son to Jamie and this just increases the problem.

To Fergus, this was perfectly normal. Fergus probably saw this as the best way to get Ian's mind of what had happened.

Pompous and arrogant. But, he did care about his sister.

She had been through such a trauma that she could not deal with it and her mind just shut down. She knew Jamie, but Claire was with Jamie during the Rising, so it was not possible.

I thought it was one of the smugglers who had been bribed.

There are going to be a lot of questions from Jenny about where she has been, and Jenny will probably blame Claire for Jamie being so miserable the last 20 years.
Ah, that would be telling. But, it will be fun.

#4 ·
tlshaw *Padded Cell 511* said:
It was typical of them. You would expect them to rush into each other's arms, but instead, Jamie sits in the ale.
I loved when Jamie sat on the ale pot. It broke the tension of the moment.

He doesn't like what Jamie does, but seems to have a hard time understanding that he is doing it for the family. Maybe the problem is his own feelings of inadequacy that Jamie has to take care of the family.
I agree. They really owe Jamie everything, and like most people, Ian resents the person who is helping him and his family.

There are going to be a lot of questions from Jenny about where she has been, and Jenny will probably blame Claire for Jamie being so miserable the last 20 years.
Ah, that would be telling. But, it will be fun.
You're probably right. Claire will always have to get past Jenny to reach Jamie.

#5 ·
Gertie, you asked a question about how we felt about seeing Fergus again. I wonder how Fergus felt about seeing Claire back. In the scene where Fergus sees Claire, he is thrilled to see her, and talks about her being back, but never questions where she has been the last 20 years. I think it is interesting that out of everyone, he is the one person who takes her return as "normal". But, he has been around for the last 20 years like everyone else, and knows all that Jamie has been through. But, like everyone else, doesn't know that Claire is a time traveler. I wonder what Jamie had told him about Claire leaving, did he assume she had gone back to France?

#6 ·
Gertie, you asked a question about how we felt about seeing Fergus again. I wonder how Fergus felt about seeing Claire back. In the scene where Fergus sees Claire, he is thrilled to see her, and talks about her being back, but never questions where she has been the last 20 years. I think it is interesting that out of everyone, he is the one person who takes her return as "normal". But, he has been around for the last 20 years like everyone else, and knows all that Jamie has been through. But, like everyone else, doesn't know that Claire is a time traveler. I wonder what Jamie had told him about Claire leaving, did he assume she had gone back to France?
Good question. I think Fergus' life has made him see the surface, only. He's had to accept so much at such a young age, that any gift he receives, such as Claire returning, he will take at face value. Of course, Fergus isn't about to question anything that makes "milord" happy. Also, at the time he saw Claire, there was business to be done, and that had to take precedence.

Probably, Jamie told everyone that Claire was "gone" as he told John, and they all assumed that meant she was dead.

#7 ·
Part 6--Voyager

"Edinburgh"
Chapters 24-31

It was like she was going home.

Litter! But I don't think she could have kept it with her. If she had been caught with it, it could have been taken as a sign of her being a witch. By the way, she thinks it would have been safe to have a water proof lining in a cloak? That would have been fine until a seam came lose.

Reassure her that she looked OK. Claire has a little bit of insecurity going for her. It's like she doesn't realize Jamie is also 20 years older. I guess that's what you get for marrying a younger man.

4. What were you feeling as Claire approached Jamie's print shop?
About time! Would Jamie be there? What would his reaction be to her reappearing and to the changes in her? What would her reaction be to the way he has changed? This all made for a tense time.
Do you think DG took too long to get Claire there?
It was a long time coming but the trip was a long one and to have shortened the trip for us would have taken away some of the understanding of what Claire went through to get there.

Yes, emotional but with an element of misunderstanding and humor - loved the ale pot. Exactly what I've come to expect - and like.

6. Discuss Jamie's reaction to seeing Brianna's photos?
I was surprised he didn't react to seeing photos. His reactions to the pictures were wonderful. Especially the first one in color; that one must have said this is your daughter like none of the other pictures.
How did you feel when he broke down in Claire's arms?
20 years have passed but he is still so comfortable with Claire that he can let his emotions out. In a way he got to watch her grow up, as Claire no doubt planned. This scene goes down as another of my favorites

I don't trust him. Where did Jamie find him? Jamie seemed to treat him like a pet. There was something about their relationship that I found distasteful.

No, but it did come fast a furious. Is Claire sure she doesn't want to go back to regular meals and hot and cold running water?

He needed to know if she was staying. If she wasn't staying then he wouldn't open up his heart - how could he. He's lost so much; how can he open himself up to more hurt.

10. We already know that Jamie is involved in seditious activities. Do you think his life has changed so much that Claire may have a hard time accepting who he is now?
No, his life has changed but at the core he is still the same man. Claire has changed too but remains the same at the core.
How do you feel about the man Jamie has become?
So different than the life he was raised for. It's as though he has lived the last 20 years trying to take care of everybody but not caring if he lived.

Jamie isn't the boy or the man who was Ian's friend. And, Ian has what was always Jamie's. There relationship is strained but deep down they remain friends. I think the only thing that could shatter that completely is Jamie's life seriously hurting or killing one of Ian's kids.

Like uncle like nephew. Jamie has always gone his own way and it looks like Ian does too. Ian obviously idolizes Jamie. I wonder if he has been told the story of Jamie hiding with him when he was born?

13. Were you happy to see Fergus again?
Yes, don't kill off Fergus.
What do you think of his involvement with Jamie's smuggling activities?
Fergus will be where Jamie is. Fergus never did have much respect for the law so he would probably not have any difficulty being a smuggler. It's still probably better than he would have had in France.

14. What did you think of the story of The Fiend?
Jack the Ripper the prequel
Do you think this will play a part in the story?
Oh it's definitely going to have something to do with the story. Does The Fiend threaten Claire later on? Does she uncover who it is and help capture him? Probably a good excuse for Jamie to come to her rescue which will, of course, be followed by something steamy.

Another loss for Jamie but at least it wasn't Young Ian. I though it was interesting how all the neighbors helped him get his stuff out. He knew it would be safe with them too. They must have known what he was printing and they are willing to protect him. Of course Jamie rescued Young Ian, what else would he do.
Jamie needs some tights and a form fitting shirt with a J on the front to wear when he rescues people. Look, up on the roof it's a bird, it's a horse, no, it's Super Jamie! Disguised as a mild mannered printer, Super Jamie leaps into action whenever someone is in danger. He protects the weak and the poor, he rescues damsels in distress and fights injustice (and the English) to free Scotland Whenever, wherever, whoever needs help, Super Jamie will save the day!

Yes. Ian must be afraid that that Young Ian will turn out like the uncle he so admires.

Intersting. A reminder that people grew up so much faster then.

Slimy

19. What was your impression of Miss Campbell?
A shattered soul
Did you believe that Jamie was involved with her during the Rising?
No, not at all. Claire was with him then and Jamie would not have taken advantage of her.

It's got to be one of the secondary characters we have met. Fergus and Young Ian can be ruled out. So who does that leave? There was the guy that was following Young Ian, The Rev (but I didn't get the impression he knew about Jamie's activities), There was Geordie but Jamie said he kept his printer and smuggler activities separate. Mr Willoughby certainly could have betrayed Jamie but so could any of the other smugglers. If it's one of the other smugglers they will appear a little more. I don't like the Rev or Mr Willoughby so I'm keeping them on my list. The best would be if one of them was the fiend and one of them was the traitor. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep wondering.

Everything will be changed; this is not the home Claire new before. Did Jenny ever give up on trying to get Jamie to marry again?
And, Claire, you got some 'splainin' to do! You disappear for 20 years and Jenny's beloved brother was miserable…not necessarily going to be the happiest of reunions. She could always whip out the pictures of Brianna and tell them everything. That could be fun.

It's a little late in the week, but I'm ready to start the next section. I hope I get it read before the weekend is over. I used to be a one book at a time reader (and none of them were romance novels) so that wouldn't have been a problem. What have Jamie and Claire done to me

#8 ·
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Good question. I think Fergus' life has made him see the surface, only. He's had to accept so much at such a young age, that any gift he receives, such as Claire returning, he will take at face value. Of course, Fergus isn't about to question anything that makes "milord" happy. Also, at the time he saw Claire, there was business to be done, and that had to take precedence.

Probably, Jamie told everyone that Claire was "gone" as he told John, and they all assumed that meant she was dead.
I had assumed that he told Fergus the same thing as everyone else, if Fergus even asked. He was pretty used to people going in and out of his life. I got the impression in DIA that Fergus was closer to Jamie than to Claire anyway. I don't think Fergus lets people know how he feels so he could be deeply affected and never show it. I do like that he accepts Claire without question. Even if Fergus was there on business, I don't think he'll question Claire's return, unless it somehow causes problems for Jamie.

Jamie sure does inspire strong emotions in people.

#9 ·
imallbs said:
Litter! But I don't think she could have kept it with her. If she had been caught with it, it could have been taken as a sign of her being a witch. By the way, she thinks it would have been safe to have a water proof lining in a cloak? That would have been fine until a seam came lose.
Then there was the zipper in the Jessica Gutenberg. Someone must have seen it when they threw out the remains of the dress.

Jamie needs some tights and a form fitting shirt with a J on the front to where when he rescues people. Look, up on the roof it's a bird, it's a horse, no, it's Super Jamie! Disguised as a mild mannered printer, Super Jamie leaps into action whenever someone is in danger. He protects the weak and the poor, he rescues damsels in distress and fights injustice (and the English) to free Scotland Whenever, wherever, whoever needs help, Super Jamie will save the day!
;D ;D ;D

#10 ·
Then there was the zipper in the Jessica Gutenberg. Someone must have seen it when they threw out the remains of the dress.
I remember wondering about that when I was reading about the dress. I also remember thinking about the scene in the Dark Shadows mini series when Victoria Winters tries to explain a zipper and laundry instructions and it ends up being used against her at her witch trial.

Yes! He needs that mask too.

#11 ·
Yea! She made it to the right time. When do we get back to Jamie?

I don't know. Not ever having known a life without it, it's really hard to imagine what I would have thought it was. I wondered why she didn't get waxed paper for her food. It would have been less obvious.

I agree with Gertie. She had been very worried about how she had changed and even asked Joe what he thought of her looks.

I hoped he would be in when she arrived. My heart was pounding and I felt like I was taking each step with her. It took awhile, but I loved the build up. DG couldn't just shoot Claire through the rocks directly into his waiting arms.

I liked it. I am glad Jamie didn't have a heart attack. It was tender and tentative and great. I didn't know what to expect. I like reading and not knowing what will happen next for the most part.

I'm sure it was overwhelming on a number of levels. He'd never seen photographs before. He had only a vague sense that maybe he had a child out there in the future, one he would never see. And he was still reeling from Claire's arrival. I think that could bring any man to tears.

WTF. I didn't like him and couldn't figure out why he was part of Jamie's circle.

No. It wouldn't be interesting if they just went home and made tea and lived happily ever after.

I think he felt like he had done things to not deserve her and that perhaps the business of his life would upset her and she would want to leave if she had returned for the wrong reason. He was so unsure of himself, which is very unlike him. Everyone needs a little reassurance.

Well, she can't go back now, so she has to suck it up whatever it is. He is definitely hardened to the world, more jaded and reserved in some aspects. But he has his honor and his sense of responsibility.

11. Ian shows up at the "kittle-hoosie" and he seems to be at odds with Jamie. What do you think of their changed relationship?
Twenty years is a long time. And young Ian is already bucking authority and running off to be like Jamie, which neither man wants for the teen. Ian has to have some resent-ment toward being taken care of and needing Jamie to help provide for his family.

*laughs* Ah, what he must have thought of Claire. But he seems like a child who seeks adventure and is trying to figure out what kind of man to be.

Love Fergus. Seems like a natural fit.

14. What did you think of the story of The Fiend? Do you think this will play a part in the story?
Of course this will reappear. I had my early suspicions and I was right, so I won't say more.

DRAMA! I was very interested to find out how it happened. It was a total Jamie move to climb up a building and save his nephew.

Yes. Even though Young Ian was the one delivering the slap, his father felt it came directly from Jamie's hand. It wasn't like Jamie said, stay, but he wasn't going to step in and tamp down Young Ian's growing manhood.

Ha! He may seem young to us, but then he was practically a man with a man's respon-sibilities. Besides, he might have found his way there under the circumstances.

Creepy. I don't like him and I couldn't put my finger on it. Seems to care about his sister, but why? Is there something in it for him? I just don't feel good about his pres-ence.

19. What was your impression of Miss Campbell? Did you believe that Jamie was in-volved with her during the Rising?
It's sad. I wonder if she had lived today whether something could have been done. I think Jamie may know her or her young man, perhaps he was one of Jamie's men from Lallybroch, but no, he wasn't involved with her. He was pretty much always with Claire.

Someone he knows. I'm not sure who or why. (Well, I know now, but when I read it I was really confused about whodunit.)

*laughs* This is hard to answer because I've already read this one, but I figured it wouldn't be smooth sailing because DG likes to resurrect her villains and roadblocks just when you think they are gone for good.

#12 ·
NessaBug said:
DG couldn't just shoot Claire through the rocks directly into his waiting arms.[/b]
But it would have been so cool.

*laughs* Ah, what he must have thought of Claire. But he seems like a child who seeks adventure and is trying to figure out what kind of man to be.
Well put.

#13 ·
Wonderful! Back home at last!

Who's the bloody litterbug?? Kinda shocked she did that! But if I was from the 18th century, then wouldn't have had a clue what it was & would have ignored it probably.

She's very self conscious that she's not the younger girl that Jamie loved & lusted for. The fact that she looks younger & healthier than a 29 year old gives her that courage & calms at least that fear.

I was nervous for her and very excited. No, I didn't think it took too long - I was surprised it wasn't drawn out longer.

At the beginning but it was too short. I wanted them to have a few days together at least, before everything kicked in.

How overwhelming that must have been! He never knew if they survived, never expected to know that news - let alone the concept of photos and being able to see the timeline of her life. I felt his pain and joy when he broke down, and sad still that he can't meet her.

Odd little man, and very annoying. Why on earth is Jamie bothering with him? Another prodigy like Fergus? Jamie sees that potential that others would miss.

No, it's Sod's Law, as we English say. What can go wrong, will. Would have been nice for them to have a few days of grace though.

I think it would be important for anyone. 20 years is such a long time & over time, memories change, people romanticize what once was. Was she back for good? Did she love him enough to accept how he'd changed? Had they both changed too much to get back what they had?

I have mixed feelings. Up until now, we'd been kept abreast somewhat of Jamie's life and activities, in prison & in the Lake District. I hadn't seen such big changes in him as a character or personality, but was surprised by a few of them in the first week back with Claire. I think Claire would accept almost anything about him, understanding what he needed to do. But at the same time, he seemed a little colder to me somehow. I was saddened by that.

I was surprised by the change but had to remember that they've also had many years apart, and the changes that affect Jamie & Claire, would be the same for anyone who spends much time apart. I was reserving some judgment on it, knowing we'd find out more.

Too early too tell

Very happy to see Fergus, and given his early years in a brothel then pickpockting then stealing letters of the Stuarts for Jamie, it's not much of a stretch into the smuggling business.

Horrible, and I am sure it will come back into the story. Now wondering about the skeleton in the cave too that Claire & Joe looked at in Boston.......

Another part of Sod's Law but no clue why or how at that point. And how could Jamie have stood by without trying the rescue?

Most probably. Ian sees Young Ian drawn to the adventurous exciting Uncle Jamie and is helpless to stop it. There seems to be new resentment anyway and now this.

Very funny! But Fergus, with his history, can't see anything remotely wrong with it, of course.

I'm sure we haven't see the last of him.

How tragic! That poor poor woman. It might come out that Jamie knew more about her from that time.

At this point, I wouldn't like to speculate at all. Seemingly inconsequential characters always pop up when I least expect them.

Of course hoping for welcoming embraces & some real time for Jamie & Claire to kick back, get to know each other again and share some lovin'. Can't ever expect that though!

#14 ·
oh, a question..... Jamie used to call Claire mo duinne, my brown one. Why did that change to mo nighean donn? And he says: "Your hair - I called ye mo nighean donn, d'ye recall? My brown one." (ch 26, location 7519)

Did he forget that it was mo duinne, only remembering it as "my brown one"? And error? That's bugged me for a few days; surely he wouldn't misremember that?

#15 ·
danfan said:
oh, a question..... Jamie used to call Claire mo duinne, my brown one. Why did that change to mo nighean donn? And he says: "Your hair - I called ye mo nighean donn, d'ye recall? My brown one." (ch 26, location 7519)

Did he forget that it was mo duinne, only remembering it as "my brown one"? And error? That's bugged me for a few days; surely he wouldn't misremember that?
No, Jamie didn't forget. Apparently, someone from Scotland corrected DG's use of that phrase. Mo nighean donn is correct, but I miss mo duinne.

The same thing happened with the timeline between Outlander and DiA. I feel she should have left well enough alone. It's not like she renamed Bonnie Prince Charlie to Freddie Mac. Those were minor errors, and it's very jarring to those of us who take these stories to heart.

#16 ·
Thanks for explaining. Yes, sometimes the corrections are more irritating, especially to the vast majority of us who wouldn't have known the error to begin with.
Well, better an author error than Jamie forgetting! *gasp*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.