Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving right along, we'll read chapters 40-52 this week. 

Lots of things happening in this week's chapters so let's get to it.  Feel free to add anything that I might have forgotten. 

"Home Again"
Chapters 32-39

1.  How did you feel when you first saw Lallybroch again?

2.  Do you think Jenny was truly glad to see Claire?

3.  How did you feel about Ian and Jenny’s treatment of Jamie?

4.  What did you think of Ian making Jamie punish Young Ian?

5.  What did you think of Jamie having Young Ian thrash him?

6.  What did you think when the teenage girl showed up at the bedroom door and yelled, “Daddy?”

7.  What did you think of Claire’s reaction?  Jamie’s?

8.  What did you think of Jamie and Claire’s “argument,” ending with Jenny throwing a bucket of water on them?

9.  It appeared that Jenny couldn’t wait to get rid of Claire.  Why do you think that was?

10.  Did you think Claire would really go back through the stones, or did you think she would just go back to Edinburgh and wait for Jamie to come after her?  Any other scenarios come to mind?

11.  What did you think of Young Ian riding after Claire to bring her back to Lallybroch?

12.  When Claire gets back, she all but pushes Jenny out the door.  Why do you think she did that?

13.  Do you think Jamie was really dying?

14.  It’s a good thing Claire brought penicillin back with her.  Why do you think she did that?  Is there anything else she might have brought with her?

15.  After Jamie explains the situation to Claire, do you think she has really forgiven him for marrying Laheer?  Why do you think she didn’t tell Jamie that it was Laheer that tried to have her killed at Cranesmuir?

16.  What did you think of Jenny’s confession to Claire?

17.  Wasn’t it great to see Ned Gowan again?  Do you think the settlement he worked out for Laheer was fair and equitable?

18.  After everything that happened, were you surprised that Ian and Jenny let Young Ian go with Jamie and Claire?

19.  Why do you think Young Ian was taken? 

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"Home Again"
Chapters 32-39

1. How did you feel when you first saw Lallybroch again?

Like I had come home. Some things had changed, at least outwardly, but it was still home.

2. Do you think Jenny was truly glad to see Claire?

Yes, but guardedly so. Her first thought is Young Ian, and there's a lot of tension surrounding that. Also, she doesn't know what Claire returning means for her relationship with Jamie.

3. How did you feel about Ian and Jenny's treatment of Jamie?

Ian and Jenny resent what Jamie does and they resent their dependence on him. That doesn't stop them from taking his money. I feel like they put an awful load on Jamie and that they feel it is their due. At least they have rationalized it that way.

4. What did you think of Ian making Jamie punish Young Ian?

Sounds like a very Brian Fraser solution to the problem.

5. What did you think of Jamie having Young Ian thrash him?

A very Jamie-like thing to do. He has a very well-developed sense of justice.

6. What did you think when the teenage girl showed up at the bedroom door and yelled, "Daddy?"

Whoever she is, she's too old to be Jamie's real daughter, even if Mary McNab had gotten pregnant from their night in the cave.

7. What did you think of Claire's reaction? Jamie's?

Claire gave up everything, risked her life to come back, and she finds out Jamie didn't trust her enough to tell her the most important thing about himself? Yes, I can understand her anger. I also understand that Jamie was terrified of losing her again. He didn't trust her either.

8. What did you think of Jamie and Claire's "argument," ending with Jenny throwing a bucket of water on them?

Some very, very strong emotions going on, here. These two people don't do things by half when it comes to their feelings for each other. Jenny had to stop them somehow. I'll bet the chickens stopped laying for a week.

9. It appeared that Jenny couldn't wait to get rid of Claire. Why do you think that was?

Jenny said something strange, I thought. She said that she wouldn't let Jamie get at Claire again. Jenny is no stranger to this kind of scene; she knew what was really going on. I think she was already pushing Claire out the door, trying to convince her that Jamie was a danger to her.

Jenny doesn't know what to expect. I think she sees Claire as trouble for Jamie and the whole Murray family.

10. Did you think Claire would really go back through the stones, or did you think she would just go back to Edinburgh and wait for Jamie to come after her? Any other scenarios come to mind?

I think Claire would have gone somewhere and waited for Jamie to find her. She had plenty of money and could always set herself up again as a healer. Jamie would be sure to find her and she knew that. No way was she going to risk everything to find Jamie again, and then just fade quietly away without a fight. That's not Claire.

11. What did you think of Young Ian riding after Claire to bring her back to Lallybroch?

Ian has guts and initiative. I know I'm going to like this kid very much.

12. When Claire gets back, she all but pushes Jenny out the door. Why do you think she did that?

Claire needs Jamie all to herself so she can take care of him. She can't let anyone see the penicillin. More than that, Jenny can't bring herself to keep out of Jamie's business. She's a very strong woman, but sometimes very strong women can't help meddling in other people's affairs. Claire let her know that she wouldn't tolerate Jenny's interference. Jamie is Jenny's brother, but he is Claire's husband.

13. Do you think Jamie was really dying?

He might have since he had a pretty high fever. I think he was just hoping he would die since he'd lost Claire alone. Jamie has a very morbid streak.

14. It's a good thing Claire brought penicillin back with her. Why do you think she did that? Is there anything else she might have brought with her?

Jamie does have a tendency to be mortally wounded. I think Claire was just being practical. After what they went through at the Abbey, she wasn't about take any chances. Claire took a big chance bringing the penicillin and the photos. I think she wanted to keep the risks to a minimum.

15. After Jamie explains the situation to Claire, do you think she has really forgiven him for marrying Laheer? Why do you think she didn't tell Jamie that it was Laheer that tried to have her killed at Cranesmuir?

I think it's a provisional forgiveness. She understands that kind of loneliness, but she needs to see if Jamie is going to set things right. Claire may have been afraid that if Jamie knew about Laheer, he would take matters into his own hands.

16. What did you think of Jenny's confession to Claire?

Meddling old besom. I understand Jenny's concern for Jamie, but his welfare wasn't her primary concern. It was her own need to keep Jamie tied to her. I lost a lot of respect for Jenny here.

17. Wasn't it great to see Ned Gowan again? Do you think the settlement he worked out for Laheer was fair and equitable?

Gotta love Ned. No, I don't think it was a fair settlement. Jamie has supported Laheer and her daughters, but their marriage is now invalid. I don't think bigamy can be proved because Jamie didn't know Claire was still alive. But knowing Jamie as we do, he would take care of them.

18. After everything that happened, were you surprised that Ian and Jenny let Young Ian go with Jamie and Claire?

Yes, very surprised, even though they said they wanted to give him his freedom while it appeared that the choice was still their's.

19. Why do you think Young Ian was taken?

Ian was obviously where he wasn't supposed to be, taking the treasure that these people thought was their's and maybe it was. I wondered though, why they didn't kill him. They could have just left him there or dumped him in the ocean. Not that I want anything to happen to Young Ian. He's going to be alright, isn't he? Right?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
    I almost dropped the kindle when I read Laheer's name. Then, I remember when I wondered into the wrong thread, the 1 where people read the series. Like a moth to a flame, I saw the word, Outlander & went there. Then, realizing that I should not read this thread, I quickly exited.  :eek: Anyway, I thought that Claire had already told Jamie about that Laheer tried to kill her in 1 of the past books. I thought that Jamie had asked her why she left the castle, when he told her not to. Did she tell him???
    I was so upset last week walking around in a daze, wondering why doesn't Jenny like Claire anymore? Then, I read the answer & understood a bit of her motivation, but felt like you Gertie. My opinion of her went way down in my book. I also agree with you about them taking Jamie's money. Jamie's only doing the best he can & after everything that he's gone through, Geesh, give him a break!!! I think Ian has that male ego. He can't support them - male pride & Ian & Jenny are possessive of Young Ian, who is a mini Jamie in character. After all, it's their son, not Jamie's. Uggggg!!! Give me a break!
    I forgot, why did Jamie NOT  tell Young Ian to go after Claire??
    Ned Gowan - I love him. LOL! It was wonderful to see his character again. He & Claire hit it off. Actually, even though he tried to get Claire off during the witch trials, it was Jamie who rescued her, otherwise I thought it was Geille that convinced the judges. Or..was it Ned? Can't remember as that was a very scary scene.
    Got to go read now.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Toby said:
I almost dropped the kindle when I read Laheer's name. Then, I remember when I wondered into the wrong thread, the 1 where people read the series. Like a moth to a flame, I saw the word, Outlander & went there. Then, realizing that I should not read this thread, I quickly exited. :eek:
She got what she wanted then she didn't want it. I'm guessing that Jamie was the one thing she wanted that she didn't get, and so when the chance came, she married him. She knew what that entailed, but married him anyway. That is one selfish, self-centered, female dog.

Anyway, I thought that Claire had already told Jamie about that Laheer tried to kill her in 1 of the past books. I thought that Jamie had asked her why she left the castle, when he told her not to. Did she tell him???
She never said who sent her to Gellie's house. She didn't know herself right off.

I forgot, why did Jamie NOT tell Young Ian to go after Claire??
"Want ye back? No! Want ye to come back to me for nothing but pity, the same as ye might show for a dog in a ditch? Bloody hell! No! I forbade the little bugger to go after ye!"

Ned Gowan - I love him. LOL! It was wonderful to see his character again. He & Claire hit it off. Actually, even though he tried to get Claire off during the witch trials, it was Jamie who rescued her, otherwise I thought it was Geille that convinced the judges. Or..was it Ned? Can't remember as that was a very scary scene.
Ned did his best, but they had decided to toss Claire and Gellie into the water. Jamie might have been able to save Claire. He certainly stopped them in their tracks when he tossed the ebony necklace over Claire's head. But it was Gellie that threw herself away by declaring that she was the witch, not Claire, and showing them the witches mark (vaccination scar) on her arm. That gave Jamie and chance to get Claire away.

Yes, it was scary. Every time I read it, it's scary.

Got to go read now.
More adventure to come.

·
Registered
321 Posts
wow, this was an exciting and tense section of the book!

"Home Again"
Chapters 32-39

So happy but a little nervous. Jenny has been matriarch for a long time now - how will she feel at the thought that Claire may move back in? Can Claire & Jamie move back in? I was hoping so!

Yes and no. I think she was very tense about what it could mean.

As said above, they resent having to depend on him. Am I right in remembering that Young Jamie doesn't live there, even though Jamie deeded it all to him? So Jenny I think sees herself as "laird" (I'd say Lady and Ian as Laird, but she wears the trousers, so to speak)

I think perhaps it was Ian's way of making sure Jamie didn't encourage the kid ever again!

He's done it before I recall. But also his way of making sure Young Ian never puts Jamie in that position again!

6. What did you think when the teenage girl showed up at the bedroom door and yelled, "Daddy?"
In my moment of horror, I didn't think about age and thought of Mary McNab.

Claire was totally horrified, as she would be. When I read the name Laoghaire (sp?), I physically gasped out loud and covered my face! I couldn't believe what I was reading and I could 100% understand Claire's fury & terror, shaking as she dressed. I would have been the same, I am sure! Heck, I was the same, thinking WHAT HAS HE DONE????? I wasn't thinking much about his reaction, I was too shocked. This was a whole section of his life Claire, or us, knew nothing about. How could he??

8. What did you think of Jamie and Claire's "argument," ending with Jenny throwing a bucket of water on them?

!!!!

9. It appeared that Jenny couldn't wait to get rid of Claire. Why do you think that was?

That was a double whammy, wasn't it? I thought so many things - I had to take a break to think about them. My main thought was that she was worried that Claire would want to move back in and have them take over Lallybroch. The only unselfish reason I could think was that Claire would disappear again & leave Jamie in mourning once more.

10. Did you think Claire would really go back through the stones, or did you think she would just go back to Edinburgh and wait for Jamie to come after her? Any other scenarios come to mind?
I think she was hoping he'd follow her, but yes I though she would go through the stones. As she sees it, to have other children of that age, he must have remarried & had a whole other life that she didn't know about and that kind of secret was a major betrayal. Did he really want her back that much? Did he really mourn her absence that much?

11. What did you think of Young Ian riding after Claire to bring her back to Lallybroch?
I was reserving judgment on it - had Jamie sent him because he thought he'd make it worse if he went himself? I really wasn't sure why until it was all explained.

12. When Claire gets back, she all but pushes Jenny out the door. Why do you think she did that?
Heck, Jenny betrayed both of them. Who'd want her there?

Don't know, Claire never really said if she thought he was. Probably he would have though without her help.

14. It's a good thing Claire brought penicillin back with her. Why do you think she did that? Is there anything else she might have brought with her?
She'd wished for it many times when she was there the first time. I'm sure she wished she'd took much more. Many other things she knows she can get by with herbs etc, but antibiotics were surely the "must have" item.

15. After Jamie explains the situation to Claire, do you think she has really forgiven him for marrying Laheer? Why do you think she didn't tell Jamie that it was Laheer that tried to have her killed at Cranesmuir?
I think she understands but it might be a while before she can forgive, perhaps. I never understood why she didn't tell him. She knew as soon as she arrived at the fiscal's house and found Geilie that it was a set up. Still, I don't understand why she didn't tell him when she finds out they'd married. Certainly he'd understand her fury even more. I'd have told him just to make him feel more guilty LOL

Well, it wasn't the unselfish reason she could have given (protecting Jamie from more heartache) but it wasn't the worst reason I was thinking. Still selfish though - Jamie didn't even live there and she was worried that Claire would take him away. I still think there was more to it.

17. Wasn't it great to see Ned Gowan again? Do you think the settlement he worked out for Laheer was fair and equitable?
It was great! Shame he wasn't acting on Jamie's behalf and it might have been better. Not sure how fair it was but beats the other options.

18. After everything that happened, were you surprised that Ian and Jenny let Young Ian go with Jamie and Claire?

Very! Also confirms my thinking that Jenny's displeasure it more selfish that really about Ian. Can you tell I don't like her anymore??

I suspected that someone was waiting for the day Jamie returned with someone, perhaps as hostage or to kill Jamie.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
danfan said:
wow, this was an exciting and tense section of the book!

"Home Again"
Chapters 32-39

So happy but a little nervous. Jenny has been matriarch for a long time now - how we she feel at the thought that Claire may move back in? Can Claire & Jamie move back in? I was hoping so!

Yes, they can move back in, but Young Jamie is laird, now.

As said above, they resent having to depend on him. Am I right in remembering that Young Jamie doesn't live there, even though Jamie deeded it all to him? So Jenny I think sees herself as "laird" (I'd say Lady and Ian as Laird, but she wears the trousers, so to speak)
Young Jamie has his own house. Three guesses as to why he doesn't want to live with his mother. Nothing is said in the books, but it's pretty obvious, as you said, that Jenny thinks of herself as laird. Maybe we should say "lairdy."

That was a double whammy, wasn't it? I thought so many things - I had to take a break to think about them. My main thought was that she was worried that Claire would want to move back in and have them take over Lallybroch. The only unselfish reason I could think was that Claire would disappear again & leave Jamie in mourning once more.
They can't take over. The estate legally belongs to Young Jamie.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Yes, they can move back in, but Young Jamie is laird, now.

Young Jamie has his own house. Three guesses as to why he doesn't want to live with his mother. Nothing is said in the books, but it's pretty obvious, as you said, that Jenny thinks of herself as laird. Maybe we should say "lairdy."

They can't take over. The estate legally belongs to Young Jamie.
Yeah, I realize that but perhaps she thinks they'll still try to exert themselves. I think she fears Claire in more ways and feels very threatened by her, whatever the cause. She's dependent on Jamie and they all know that so despite the legality of the ownership, he has more sway and power than he'd ever enforce. Jenny knows he wouldn't hold that over her, but she doesn't know if Claire would.

One of the reasons I say that is because of the hastiness in her decision to inform Laoghaire. She couldn't wait and see, even give it a day or 2 to interrogate Claire - it was an instant decision to cause trouble and get Claire out the door.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
danfan said:
Yeah, I realize that but perhaps she thinks they'll still try to exert themselves. I think she fears Claire in more ways and feels very threatened by her, whatever the cause. She's dependent on Jamie and they all know that so despite the legality of the ownership, he has more sway and power than he'd ever enforce. Jenny knows he wouldn't hold that over her, but she doesn't know if Claire would.
I think you're right about that. Jenny already knows to what lengths Claire will go to protect Jamie. Claire could very possibly push Jenny aside; not as far as the estate, but Claire won't tolerate Jenny meddling in Jamie's life anymore. What she doesn't know at this point, is Claire's purpose in coming back.

It's an interesting development. I think we all liked Jenny at first. Now, it's 20 years later, and circumstances have changed everyone.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've often wondered why Jamie never told Jenny the truth about Claire's disappearance - maybe he just thought that it wouldn't make a difference so why bother. But I wonder if it would have made a difference to how she felt about Claire's return and about Claire herself?

As an aside, The other thing I've been wondering about Claire coming through the stones is that she could have agreed with Brianna some way to communicate, at least one way. My first thought when she came through was Brianna doesn't know if she made it or not. I'd have set something up - whether it was carving a message into a rock or burying something for Brianna to find in the future. Maybe I've just read too many sci fi books!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Home Again"
Chapters 32-39

Ah - home at last! After 20 years, with so many changes, Lallybroch was pretty much the way Claire had left it.

She didn't act like it, but maybe that was because she was more concerned with Young Ian.

They seemed to be so hard on Jamie. They blamed him for Young Ian running away. They also acted like Jamie was such a bad person for the things he did, even though that was how he provided for everyone. Maybe the problem was that he did provide and they resented the fact that they were dependent on him.

At first, it seemed unfair to Jamie, but Ian had tried everything else. Jamie seemed to be the one person Young Ian would listen to, so Ian thought this might work. They were pretty much out of options.

Brian Fraser would have been proud. Jamie was so good at reading people (except Claire). Young Ian was so much like him, that he knew that what would work on him would work on Young Ian.

Who in the world is this? Jamie only had 2 children - William and Bree. Was he married?

If I was Claire, I would have been furious too. She was devastated. She knew when she went back that there was a chance Jamie had married, but that was one little "detail" he neglected to tell her about, especially when he introduced her in Edinburgh as his wife. Jamie had no right to be angry. He should have trusted Claire and told her. Instead, he let the fear of losing her rule.

This was so true to their personalities. Both of them had tempers and they tended to bring out the best and worst in each other.

I have wondered if Jenny blames Claire for leaving Jamie and is afraid she will desert him again.

Claire just needed to get away from Jamie and be able to think. I don't think she was ready to go back through the stones, but that was the first thing that came to mind. She was hurt so bad. Jamie had lied to her and then Jenny was so anxious to get rid of her.

Young Ian was showing how much like Jamie he really was. Even though Jamie told him not to go after Claire, he knew that was the right thing to do.

She would take care of Jamie, but she was not up to dealing with Jenny. Also, she could not let Jenny know about the penicillin that she had.

Whether or not he was, he wanted to. He had lost Claire again, and could not face it.

Claire remembered how it was the first time, and knew that she could help more with some modern medicines. Penicillin was the best overall option, because it could take care of a lot of different problems. Since she could not really carry a bag with her, she had to limit what she brought.

She could have forgiven him for marrying anyone but Laheer, but that was not fair to Jamie, because he didn't know about what happened at Cranesmuir. Claire knew that it would only make things worse to tell Jamie now.

I am not sure if Jenny was thinking of Jamie or herself. Claire was the only love of Jamie's life, so she should have been happy for him to have her back.

I love Ned. He had already proven that he would take care of Claire, when he went to Cranesmuir for her. I think he was overly generous to Laheer, but he knew what it would take to clear things up for Jamie and Claire.

I was at first, but after the way Jamie had handled disciplining Young Ian, Ian and Jenny knew that he really cared about the boy and would do his best to take care of him. They also knew if they said no, he would run away after Jamie at the first opportunity, and that could be more harmful.

Being young and strong, he would make great slave labor.

·
Registered
677 Posts
danfan said:
I've often wondered why Jamie never told Jenny the truth about Claire's disappearance - maybe he just thought that it wouldn't make a difference so why bother. But I wonder if it would have made a difference to how she felt about Claire's return and about Claire herself?

As an aside, The other thing I've been wondering about Claire coming through the stones is that she could have agreed with Brianna some way to communicate, at least one way. My first thought when she came through was Brianna doesn't know if she made it or not. I'd have set something up - whether it was carving a message into a rock or burying something for Brianna to find in the future. Maybe I've just read too many sci fi books!
Jamie couldn't really tell anyone about Claire's leaving. That would mean telling that she was a time traveler. A lot of people already thought she was a witch. If Jenny knew how Claire left, and then she showed back up, Jenny would be convinced she was a witch and then what would happen? It was easier to let people think she was dead, because she was to Jamie. He never thought he would see her again.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
    There was also something that I thought was odd. Jenny had apparently told Young Jamie's child/children that Claire was a witch. The child had said that to Claire, when they all came over to see their great auntie Claire. I remember reading something to that affect & now am wondering if Laheer had told Jenny that Claire was a witch.
    Thanks Gertie! That is what I remember. That scene is aweful as well as that French Dr./Executioner, with the cream. Ich!!! Also Black Jack. With all that, I was so disturbed by Jenny's actions towards Claire. I felt Claire's betrayal. It was like they were friends/sisters before. Claire saved them from starving with planting the potatos. I could not imagine why Jenny would not want Claire as opposed to snivling Laheer. Also, as someone said, Jamie wasn't even living at home. I do think it helped reading what everyone said. I think Jenny was selfish & wanted to be Queen of the roost, the top dog. Laheer always was in love with Jamie. She didn't care if Jamie was NOT in love with her. LOL! Selfish girl!! I wanted to say the B word.  ;D
    Thanks Gertie for the quote. so, Jamie wanted to never have Claire come back if it was only in pity. Okay, I get it. I really do. Plus, he was in pain & not thinking straight. Still, he knew that she could leave him FOREVER. He should have forgotten his pride & told Young Ian to go after her. Thankfully, Young Ian, did go after Claire. Smart boy.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Toby said:
There was also something that I thought was odd. Jenny had apparently told Young Jamie's child/children that Claire was a witch. The child had said that to Claire, when they all came over to see their great auntie Claire. I remember reading something to that affect & now am wondering if Laheer had told Jenny that Claire was a witch.
Yes, that bothered me too when one of the grandchildren said that. Didn't Jenny ask Jamie at one point when he was hiding in the cave if Claire was a witch, and Jamie said (paraphrasing) "something like that". I'll have to look it up; it was when he dipped his knife in boiling water to cut meat & said Claire taught him to do it.
I think over time Jenny came to her own conclusion without that other evil one, Laheer, sticking her nose in, and since she never dreamed that Claire would be back, passing the stories on to her children may have seemed harmless I suppose. Made me mad though! I've really gone off Jenny!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wonder what other people think about Jamie's choice of work, smuggling and the printing business, living by aliases and having to make his living through crime?  I know that time was particularly brutal for those in Scotland, but Jamie wasn't exactly typical - a natural leader, street smart as well as book educated, and with friends in high places. He had already been pardoned twice, so I found myself frustrated that he was again in a position that could/ would put him on the wrong side of the law and at risk of hanging again.

I know Jamie has his pride and honor, not one to draw in favors from others & that he felt he had no choice but to do this so he could take care of his family, so I completely understand it, but I can't help feeling frustrated. Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
danfan said:
I wonder what other people think about Jamie's choice of work, smuggling and the printing business, living by aliases and having to make his living through crime? I know that time was particularly brutal for those in Scotland, but Jamie wasn't exactly typical - a natural leader, street smart as well as book educated, and with friends in high places. He had already been pardoned twice, so I found myself frustrated that he was again in a position that could/ would put him on the wrong side of the law and at risk of hanging again.

I know Jamie has his pride and honor, not one to draw in favors from others & that he felt he had no choice but to do this so he could take care of his family, so I completely understand it, but I can't help feeling frustrated. Anyone else have any thoughts on it?
Smuggling seems to have taken the place of cattle lifting as an honorable highland profession. Yes, Jamie is definitely a risk taker. I think his experiences in the last 20 years have hardened him. He's no longer the dashing young laird. Now, he's a tough, mature man, willing to do what is necessary to take care of his family and tenants, even though they are no longer his responsibility. Jamie could no more shirk what he perceives as his duty, than he could cut Claire out of his heart.

What he's seen happen to Scotland after Culloden certainly taught him that the English wouldn't play fair. As far as he's concerned, turnabout is fair play. Jamie is not about to let the injustices of the last 20 years go without an answer from him. He's always been a man of action. He's just taking action in a different way.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for that perspective, Gertie. Yes, I see that too, *sigh* I'd just like to see him not struggle & suffer for change, and either running from something or chasing something else. I'd happily read a while of a simple happy life for the pair of them.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Smuggling seems to have taken the place of cattle lifting as an honorable highland profession. Yes, Jamie is definitely a risk taker. I think his experiences in the last 20 years have hardened him. He's no longer the dashing young laird. Now, he's a tough, mature man, willing to do what is necessary to take care of his family and tenants, even though they are no longer his responsibility. Jamie could no more shirk what he perceives as his duty, than he could cut Claire out of his heart.

What he's seen happen to Scotland after Culloden certainly taught him that the English wouldn't play fair. As far as he's concerned, turnabout is fair play. Jamie is not about to let the injustices of the last 20 years go without an answer from him. He's always been a man of action. He's just taking action in a different way.
You said what I was thinking. Jamie's first priority was taking care of his people, whether it was family of tenants. Whether or not he was breaking the law was not really a factor, as much as what he felt was the right thing to do. Jamie was first and formost, a man of honor - isn't that part of what make him so irresistable? ;)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tlshaw *Padded Cell 511* said:
You said what I was thinking. Jamie's first priority was taking care of his people, whether it was family of tenants. Whether or not he was breaking the law was not really a factor, as much as what he felt was the right thing to do. Jamie was first and formost, a man of honor - isn't that part of what make him so irresistable? ;)
That he is. Honor, duty, responsibility, loyalty. He gives all he has to others, yet his sister, the one who should love him best, will deny him the one and only thing that Jamie wants for himself; Claire.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.