Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm posting early again.  Tomorrow looks like another over-booked Monday, and I would rather be early than late. 

Please feel free to continue discussing the previous chapters in the appropriate threads. 

Part 4–Voyager
"The Lake District"
Chapters 14-17

1.  What did you think when the prisoners in Ardsmuir were sent to the colonies and Jamie was taken to Helwater by John? 

2.  Considering Jamie thought he was facing a lifetime of servitude at Helwater, do you think he adjusted to his new circumstances well?

3.  What was your impression of the Dunsanays, especially Geneva?

4.  What do you think of Geneva’s blackmailing Jamie?

5.  Discuss Jamie’s feelings about Geneva during the night they spent together. 

6.  Do you think the steamy book Jamie was reading was Fanny Hill (1749)?  How do you think Jamie came to be in possession of this book?

7.  How did you feel about Lord Ellesmere’s treatment of Geneva after he found out she was pregnant?  Did you feel she got what she deserved for blackmailing Jamie?

8.  Do you think Geneva knew she was likely to get pregnant by Jamie when she set the date for their  night together?

9.  Were you surprised that Geneva died?

10.  Were you surprised that Jamie grabbed the gun and shot Ellesmere? 

11.  Do you think Lord or Lady Dunsany know Jamie is Willie’s father?

12.  Did you want Jamie to go back to Scotland when Lady Dunsany offered him the chance?  What would you have done. 

13.  How did you feel about Jamie offering John Grey his friendship?

14.  What do you think of Willie?

15.  Why do you think no one noticed the resemblance between Jamie and Willie?

16.  How did you feel when Jamie spanked Willie and then hugged him?

17.  What did you think about Willie’s desire to become a “stinking papist” and Jamie performing the baptism, giving him the name of William James.?

Part 5--Voyager
"You Can't Go Home Again"
Chapters 18-23

1.  What was your impression of Joe Abernathy and his relationship with Claire?

2.  Discuss the last scene between Claire and Frank. 

3.  Do you think Joe Abernathy was the only one who guessed that Frank wasn’t Bree’s father?  It’s possible Bree might have been adopted.  Why do you think Joe believed that Claire was unfaithful to Frank?

4.  How did you feel when Roger and Bree showed Claire the Deed of Sassine? 

5.  Q.E.D. stand s for “quod erat demonstrandum,” Latin for “which was to be demonstrated.”  Why do you think Jamie chose that signature for his seditious writings?

6. What were your first impressions of the significance of the skeleton when it was brought into Joe Abernathy's office?

7.  How do you feel about Roger and Bree’s conversation on All Hallow’s Eve?  Do you understand Bree’s feelings of being all alone with no one to remember her as she was?

8.  How has Roger changed since we first met him?

9.  Were you surprised that Bree was determined to go back if Claire didn’t? 

10.  When you got to the point where Claire went back, did you stop reading or did you go on?  Be honest, now. 

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 4-Voyager
"The Lake District"
Chapters 14-17

1. What did you think when the prisoners in Ardsmuir were sent to the colonies and Jamie was taken to Helwater by John?

I thought that the English were afraid to turn him loose in the colonies because he might foment a rebellion there. Red Jamie was a very important prisoner, and I think they wanted to keep a close eye on him.

2. Considering Jamie thought he was facing a lifetime of servitude at Helwater, do you think he adjusted to his new circumstances well?

Jamie seemed resigned to his fate. To him, it was just another prison. No Scotland, no Lallybroch, no Claire, no hope. It probably took him a long time to appreciate that life at Helwater was a big step up from Ardsmuir.

3. What was your impression of the Dunsanays, especially Geneva?

Typical English country squire, with all their class prejudices. Geneva likes to get her own way.

4. What do you think of Geneva's blackmailing Jamie?

That brat. She has no idea of what she's playing at. The lives and freedom of so many are at the mercy of her whims. She doesn't care for the consequences to others; only what she wants.

5. Discuss Jamie's feelings about Geneva during the night they spent together.

I think mostly Jamie sees Geneva as a woman, not as Geneva. His body can perform while keeping his mind pretty detached.

6. Do you think the steamy book Jamie was reading was Fanny Hill (1749)? How do you think Jamie came to be in possession of this book?

I wouldn't have asked this question is I didn't think it was. It could be Pamela by Samuel Richardson, but I'm pretty sure it's Fanny Hill. Jenny certainly wouldn't have sent it to him.

7. How did you feel about Lord Ellesmere's treatment of Geneva after he found out she was pregnant? Did you feel she got what she deserved for blackmailing Jamie?

The cook seemed to have hit the nail on the head. The only way Lord Ellesmere could be certain that he wasn't the father, is that he was impotent. He didn't seem to complain that Geneva wasn't a virgin when they married. As much as I would like to see Geneva get her comeuppance for what she did, it was the action of a foolish and very naive young girl.

8. Do you think Geneva knew she was likely to get pregnant by Jamie when she set the date for their night together?

Yes, I think she did. Jamie told her how to time it, so she wouldn't get pregnant and I think she used that information so she would have Jamie's baby. It's too much of a coincidence that her non-fertile time came three days before her wedding.

9. Were you surprised that Geneva died?

Yes, I thought she might be a thorn in Jamie's side for a while. Poor girl. Whatever her sins, she didn't deserve to die.

10. Were you surprised that Jamie grabbed the gun and shot Ellesmere?

Jamie has always been a man of action, and he wasn't about to stand by and see his son dropped from a window.

11. Do you think Lord or Lady Dunsany know Jamie is Willie's father?

I think Lady Dunsany knows. Geneva probably confessed on her deathbed and would have begged her mother to protect the baby. Considering the fact that Lord Dunsany insisted on custody of his grandson, I think he knew or suspected.

12. Did you want Jamie to go back to Scotland when Lady Dunsany offered him the chance? What would you have done.

Yes, I wanted him to go back. As much as Jamie deserved to spend some time with his child, even though he couldn't acknowledge him, the longer he waited, the harder the separation would be. I think I would have gone back home.

13. How did you feel about Jamie offering John Grey his friendship?

Jamie's honor would let him do no less than repay John the only way he could.

14. What do you think of Willie?

Spoiled brat ... just like his mother.

15. Why do you think no one noticed the resemblance between Jamie and Willie?

No one notices a servant, especially someone working in the stables.

16. How did you feel when Jamie spanked Willie and then hugged him?

First, I cheered Jamie for spanking the little brat; then I cried when he thought it was the only fatherly caress he would ever be able to give his son. I was glad when Jamie hugged him tight.

17. What did you think about Willie's desire to become a "stinking papist" and Jamie performing the baptism, giving him the name of William James?

Another thing that Jamie was able to give to his son. Willie might even forget the incident as he grew older, but for Jamie, it was a spiritual bond.

Part 5--Voyager
Chapters 18-23

1. What was your impression of Joe Abernathy and his relationship with Claire?

Strictly professional colleagues who bonded over their mutual "outsider" status. I don't think Claire had an affair with him or anybody else for that matter.

2. Discuss the last scene between Claire and Frank.

What made Frank think he could take Bree with him? I doubt if she would agree to go to an English boarding school and leave all her friends six months before graduation. She might agree to go live with him after graduation and attend Cambridge.

I also doubt if Claire would use the paternity issue to prevent Frank from taking Bree. She wouldn't expose him so cruelly, nor would she put Bree through the scandal.

I wasn't surprised Frank had multiple affairs. I don't think he ever really understood Claire or could handle her. He probably enjoyed the attention of his young students, as they did the older, sophisticated Brit.

If Frank hadn't died, it would have been very messy for everyone.

3. Do you think Joe Abernathy was the only one who guessed that Frank wasn't Bree's father? It's possible Bree might have been adopted. Why do you think Joe believed that Claire was unfaithful to Frank?

I'm guessing that "Lady Jane" was a bit standoffish with her colleagues, and Joe was the only one she let get close to her family. Joe must have sensed the tension between Claire and Frank and, as he said, he saw the way she looked at Bree as if she saw someone else.

4. How did you feel when Roger and Bree showed Claire the Deed of Sassine?

More tears. If further proof were needed, there it was in rain-spattered black and white. It brought back that whole scene from DiA.

5. Q.E.D. stands for "quod erat demonstrandum," Latin for "which was to be demonstrated." Why do you think Jamie chose that signature for his seditious writings?

Or, the proof is in the pudding, but it sounds better in Latin. Jamie has some idea of what is to come, and the proof of what he's saying will be in the results.

6. What were your first impressions of the significance of the skeleton when it was brought into Joe Abernathy's office?

Found in the Caribbean? A white woman surrounded by African artifacts? Could it have been someone killed in the slave uprisings in Haiti and Santo Domingo? More like a ritual killing.

7. How do you feel about Roger and Bree's conversation on All Hallow's Eve? Do you understand Bree's feelings of being all alone with no one to remember her as she was?

Yes, I understand that. Both of them are alone in the world. It's like Bree has lost her history, and with her father an historian, it's got to be doubly difficult for her.

8. How has Roger changed since we first met him?

I'm feeling more maturity emanating from him. Before, he was an academic, cloistered in his ivory tower. Now, he's in the real world; more real than he could ever have imagined.

9. Were you surprised that Bree was determined to go back if Claire didn't?

Yes, very surprised. She certainly has turned around. I think she's seeing what kind of man Jamie is (was?) and wants to give something back. He gave her and Claire life and she wants him to know his sacrifices weren't in vain.

10. When you got to the point where Claire went back, did you stop reading or did you go on? Be honest, now.

Nothing could have stopped me the first time I read the book. Notice that when we started reading Voyager for the Klub, I said that I had gone ahead to my favorite part. This is it coming up. ;)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
***Just a quick reply right now. Number 10. I kept reading. I went to bed at 4:30 AM. Lucky me that it was Sat. night. Now, I know the part that you skipped ahead to. I had stopped the ch. before she went back, the night before, because I knew what would happen & I needed to sleep. LOL! Well, I just loved that part. I woke up with a smile on my face this morning, because that part was sooo good.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Toby said:
***Just a quick reply right now. Number 10. I kept reading. I went to bed at 4:30 AM. Lucky me that it was Sat. night. Now, I know the part that you skipped ahead to. I had stopped the ch. before she went back, the night before, because I knew what would happen & I needed to sleep. LOL! Well, I just loved that part. I woke up with a smile on my face this morning, because that part was sooo good.
It's what we've all been waiting for and it lived up to expectations. :'(

·
Registered
677 Posts
Part 4-Voyager
"The Lake District"
Chapters 14-17

1. What did you think when the prisoners in Ardsmuir were sent to the colonies and Jamie was taken to Helwater by John?
What was Lord Grey up to? Was Jamie not sent because he was Red Jamie?

2. Considering Jamie thought he was facing a lifetime of servitude at Helwater, do you think he adjusted to his new circumstances well?
Jamie seemed to have a fatalistic streak in him that allowed him to accept things and move on with his life. Considering where he had been for the last several years, Helwater was a huge step up.

Typical noble family. Geneva was spoiled and selfish.

She was determined to have her own way. She wanted Jamie and would do whatever she had to to get him in her bed.

He felt sorry for her, I think, that she was going to marry the Earl, but he also saw her for the brat she was. At the same time, he admired her courage when it actually came time to go to bed. She was terrified, but would not back down.

6. Do you think the steamy book Jamie was reading was Fanny Hill (1749)? How do you think Jamie came to be in possession of this book?
I would say it was Fanny Hill. Did Lord Grey bring him books?

7. How did you feel about Lord Ellesmere's treatment of Geneva after he found out she was pregnant? Did you feel she got what she deserved for blackmailing Jamie?
I could definitely understand his rage. Not being a virgin was a huge deal. She probably deserved it, she knew what she was doing, but I felt sorry for her too, she was trapped in an arranged marriage with a man old enough to be her grandfather.

8. Do you think Geneva knew she was likely to get pregnant by Jamie when she set the date for their night together?
He told her exactly when not to go to bed with him. I think she knew.

Yes. Although it was common then, I was very sad that she was gone.

No, Jamie knew that was his child, but even if he didn't his moral character would not let him see an innocent child killed.

They at least suspected. I think that is why Lady Dunsany offered to let him leave.

12. Did you want Jamie to go back to Scotland when Lady Dunsany offered him the chance? What would you have done.
He really had nothing to go back to. Even with the pardon, people would still think there was a price on his head. I don't know what I would have done.

John Grey had proved that he cared about Jamie, and that was why he took him to Helwater. After the one pass, Grey had never again tried anything. He was as lonely and needed a friend as much as Jamie did.

Normal little boy. Fraser stubbornness though.

No one thought it possible, so why look for it?

Jamie wanted to be a father so bad, and take care of Willie. It was a natural paternal reaction.

17. What did you think about Willie's desire to become a "stinking papist" and Jamie performing the baptism, giving him the name of William James.?
I almost cried. Jamie was the one person who loved Willie enough to stand up to him, and that is why Willie wanted to be like him.

Part 5--Voyager
Chapters 18-23

I was very glad she had a friend. He was the one person who could understand her.

I thought Frank was totally selfish in wanting to take Bree away. That was the best way to hurt Claire. I am not sure if Frank really thought Claire was having an affair, or just wanted to try to excuse his own behavior.

3. Do you think Joe Abernathy was the only one who guessed that Frank wasn't Bree's father? It's possible Bree might have been adopted. Why do you think Joe believed that Claire was unfaithful to Frank?
Joe may have been the only one to pay enough attention to the 3 of them. Joe also knew how unhappy Claire's marriage was.

She already knew about the Deed, she had signed it, so there had to be more to the story for them to think it was so important.

5. Q.E.D. stand s for "quod erat demonstrandum," Latin for "which was to be demonstrated." Why do you think Jamie chose that signature for his seditious writings?
Jamie was always willing to stick his neck out for what he believed, and here he is doing it again. He believed in what he was printing, and put himself on the line for it.

This person would be seen alive somewhere along the line.

7. How do you feel about Roger and Bree's conversation on All Hallow's Eve? Do you understand Bree's feelings of being all alone with no one to remember her as she was?
Bree is devastated at losing her mother, after losing Frank just 2 years ago. She is still young, and with Claire gone, she will have no family. I can definitely understand. She is torn between wanting Claire to be happy again with Jamie, and wanting to keep her mother.

He has grown from a shy academic to a man who cares about people.

No. She was determined not to be the reason Claire didn't go back. Claire gave Jamie up once for her, and now that she knew the full story, she could not let it happen again.

10. When you got to the point where Claire went back, did you stop reading or did you go on? Be honest, now.
Of course not, I had to get to my favorite part.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I have been waiting impatiently for the questions so I can read ahead some more :D

Chapters 14-17

John wanted to keep him close even though he could not do anything about it

yes

probably very typical, at that time, of the "upper class". Geneva was a typical spoiled brat - even for today's times

She ws a brat plain and simple, let's face it we probably would have done the same if we had been confronted by that hunk of Jamie

Probably felt like he was doing her a favor, that she was a younger inexperienced friend who needed help?

from the gypsies

yes

not particularly, she was not sure just what was going to heppen even though she had seen the animals, and the wedding was very shortly after

yes

no because he did know somehow that was his son

they should but are not wanting to admit that their darling daughter would be so crass

yes, but I think he was still afraid of what would happen to his family if he was there

he knew that Grey probably figured it out and wanted to be sure the boy was cared for

poor kid - gonna be a brat, his mommy is dead his daddy is dead let's spoil him

Didn't want to

as a caring father would do

17. What did you think about Willie's desire to become a "stinking papist" and Jamie performing the baptism, giving him the name of William James.?
probably the only person who really cared for Willie, most kids can tell if it is genuine or put on and the others might have "cared" because of who he was supposed to be

Part 5--Voyager
Chapters 18-23

friends, I have friends like that

Frank was a jerk from beginning to end

because if Bree had been adopted Claire would have mentioned it

Jamie was vindicated

5. Q.E.D. stand s for "quod erat demonstrandum," Latin for "which was to be demonstrated." Why do you think Jamie chose that signature for his seditious writings?
because of some of the things that Claire had told him would be happening

I knew it had to be exposed in the future, something to do with Claire and her "past"

let's remember she was a very young lady not quite mature

Not quite as introverted

yes, why? she would have absolutely clue as to how to act in that time period

Of course i read on and intend to pick up tonight where I left off LOL

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Part 4-Voyager
"The Lake District"
Chapters 14-17

Jamie looses everything again. The prisoners may not have been his family but they were people he knew and felt responsible for. He had friendships. Now all that was gone and he still can't go home. The only part that made it bearable was that he could have contact with his family and had a hope of going home.

He made the best of it.

They seemed typical of the other characters with the same background. Geneva was a spoiled little brat but DG seems to write kids that way. Remember Brianna and Hamish. What happened to Hamish? I don't remember reading about him.

Spoiled Little Brat who doesn't think about anybody but herself except…

She started to show actual feelings. Sure go ahead and ruin my perfectly good preconceived notions about a character by giving them real emotions like regret, fear and a teenage twit's idea of romance. Make the little blackmailing brat show regret when she sees Jamie's back. Go ahead, see if I care.
Her reaction really tempered Jamie's feelings about her.

That's the only book that came to mind. I though he got it from Grey.

7. How did you feel about Lord Ellesmere's treatment of Geneva after he found out she was pregnant?
I can understand him being mad but Ellesmere is just so disgusting it's hard to feel sorry for him.
Did you feel she got what she deserved for blackmailing Jamie?
Her treatment by Ellesmere was brought about by her own actions - whether it was by blackmail or not.

I think she planned it.

Yes. When I found out she died my first thought was that Ellesmere killed her so I was also surprised by the way she died. I know that death in childbirth was common but my mind didn't go there by itself.

Yes. I figured he would do something, but not shoot the man while he was holding a baby - his baby

Yes. I don't think they wanted to believe it at 1st but the MacKenzie/Fraser genes seem to insist on being known.

12. Did you want Jamie to go back to Scotland when Lady Dunsany offered him the chance?
No, I wanted him to stay where he was and help raise his kid. I believe he would have gone back if Claire was there but the bonds with his family are nothing compared to the bonds you have with your child.
What would you have done. I think I would have stayed for the same reasons as Jamie had

They had moved past the advance made by Grey so it was appropriate. John Grey had proven himself a friend 1st, though it took Jamie a while to see that. Also, John Grey is the only one who knew who Jamie really was.

Spoiled Little Brat. But when he found out Jamie was leaving….go ahead, make him more than a brat, make him lonely and scared make it seem like he actually cares and a lot of his stomping around and brattiness are covers for other things. Go ahead, see if I care.

I think they all noticed but couldn't admit it.
"We joke sometimes that he spends so much time with MacKenzie that he's even starting to look like MacKenzie"
This may have been a way to divert suspicion.

Feelings about corporal punishment aside, Jamie would be such a good dad if he was given a chance.

Loved it!

Part 5--Voyager
Chapters 18-23

Claire and Joe both benefited from a friendship with someone who knew what it was like to be an outsider. I never considered them as lovers.

Frank can be such as ass; he wasn't thinking about anyone but himself. He wanted to hurt Claire more than he wanted Bree to be with him and he didn't care if Bree was collateral damage. I thought he was using the accusation of Claire having an affair to justify his own. I liked that Claire got back at him by telling him that she knew about the affairs and had been willing to let him go if he had only asked. It was sad when he died. As Claire kept saying she "loved him once"

3. Do you think Joe Abernathy was the only one who guessed that Frank wasn't Bree's father?
No.
It's possible Bree might have been adopted. Why do you think Joe believed that Claire was unfaithful to Frank?
Claire has a "glass face". Here feelings for Jamie must have shown when looking at Bree. It wouldn't have been a big leap to think she had an affair. She actually did, even if it was 200 years ago.

Actual proof that what Claire had said was true. If there had been any lingering doubt, her signature on the Deed would have erased it.

He is telling people that they don't have to believe him, they can see it for themselves.

I don't know why but, I thought it was Claire. Whoever it is, it will become important.

Bree is going to be all alone. Roger is all alone. I can't even imagine what it would be like not to have anyone who shares my memories of growing up. This has to be very hard for Bree

He has started to appreciate his family. Going through his father's things will be much more difficult now.

Yes. I can understand her wanting let Claire know it was OK to go back but I didn't realize she had come to care that much about Jamie.

Yes, but only because I had to go to work.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I decided to post my replies before reading the others. As usuall you all give me so much to think about.

I thought that the English were afraid to turn him loose in the colonies because he might foment a rebellion there. Red Jamie was a very important prisoner, and I think they wanted to keep a close eye on him.
I hadn't thought of that. I thought it was more that Grey wanted to be near Jamie

Jamie seemed to have a fatalistic streak in him that allowed him to accept things and move on with his life. Considering where he had been for the last several years, Helwater was a huge step up.
So true. He had much more freedom there and he was able to work with horses again.

Do you think the steamy book Jamie was reading was Fanny Hill (1749)? How do you think Jamie came to be in possession of this book? from the gypsies
A possibility I hadn't thought about

Normal little boy. Fraser stubbornness though.
Those Fraser genes are gonna get him in trouble when he's older

he thought it was the only fatherly caress he would ever be able to give his son. I was glad when Jamie hugged him tight
Me too!

8. How has Roger changed since we first met him? I'm feeling more maturity emanating from him. Before, he was an academic, cloistered in his ivory tower. Now, he's in the real world; more real than he could ever have imagined.
He has grown from a shy academic to a man who cares about people.
Not quite as introverted
All so true

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My apologies for not responding to all your wonderful posts.  I've been a bit busy keeping up with all you amazing people that bought my book and are actually reading it. 

I'll catch up with you tonight. 

·
Registered
677 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
My apologies for not responding to all your wonderful posts. I've been a bit busy keeping up with all you amazing people that bought my book and are actually reading it.

I'll catch up with you tonight.
We will let you by this time. Well, I need to go start reading your new book while I eat my lunch. I am trying not to read too far ahead - but it is sooooo hard!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tlshaw *Padded Cell 511* said:
We will let you by this time. Well, I need to go start reading your new book while I eat my lunch. I am trying not to read too far ahead - but it is sooooo hard!
I had to take my Mom to the doctors this morning, and I finished this week's reading while I was waiting. I think I can hold off okay, now that I've read The Big Scene (sigh).

Oh, no, I just thought about what happens later at Lallybroch. :eek: Darn, now it's going to be even harder to stop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Part 4-Voyager
"The Lake District"
Chapters 14-17

The Crown wants him under its thumb. Or John wants to still be able to see him.

Yes. At least he got to work with horses, which we all know he enjoys, and got a small bit of personal freedom and fresh air.

Lordy, what a group. Miss Geneva needed some discipline in her life.

She was a brat plain and simple, let's face it we probably would have done the same if we had been confronted by that hunk of Jamie.
I agree. So true. But Geneva was young and prone to doing stupid things to get what she wanted and since she wasn't used to being told no and getting by with anything and everything, what do you expect?
I think he felt like he betrayed the memory of Claire a bit when his body responded, but also felt sorry for the girl who had no say in her marriage. Despite all her flaws, Jamie could see the frightened young woman in front of him.

*shrugs* Maybe. Surely John gave it to him or it was passed on from another servant or Gypsy.

Well, you'd be pissed if it was your wife that you knew you hadn't touched. Geneva played with fire *smiles* and she got burnt.

Maybe. One can never predict those things for certain. Perhaps she hoped it would happen, but certainly she hadn't thought about the reality of what would happen to her and the child if it was found out.

Yes. I thought she'd be around for more mischief.

That's his baby, claimed or not. Besides, he would never let an innocent child die if he could help it.

I believe the lady does. Most teen girls get a little gaga (or a lot) when the objects of their affection are near or at the mere thought of them. A mother tends to know.

Yes and no. Yes, because I wanted him to be free. No, because I wanted him to be with his son.

They had moved on and by know, it was evident that John would not be making more advances.

Like mother, like son. But definitely also like father. He's a brat as a product of his upbringing, but he's as stubborn as a Fraser. I can just see the bairn romping around.

Who would connect the dots? Besides, society would never imagine that a lady would stoop to take a groom into her bed.

It needed to happen. Jamie needed that connection and Willie needed the spanking.

So cute. I had smiles all over my face during this part. It was bittersweet.

Part 5--Voyager
Chapters 18-23

I think it was cool she found a kindred spirit of sorts and that she could have someone in her life that she could lean on sometimes.

Craziness. I bet Claire carried guilt about his death. I mean, he was being a total a-hole about Brianna and everything, and maybe he had to die to move the story forward, but it still hurt our ladies. But what teenage girl would leave just before prom and graduation? And the things he said to Claire. It made me want to punch him as much as I ever wanted to punch Jack Randall.

Maybe not. It probably wasn't hard to see that Frank and Claire were married in very few ways that mattered. Besides, I think Joe was attuned to Claire enough to know that her heart was elsewhere.

Yea! Proof in hand. And then I remembered when it was signed and I felt sadness.

I hadn't really thought about it, but perhaps because he felt the words would be proven in the future.

I instantly knew Claire was going to be there when this person died. And then I thought about who I though it could be. And I was right. So I won't spoil it for those who haven't got that part of the tale yet.

I understand this feeling. I'm an only child to an only parent, so when my mother dies, that's it. When my grandparents died, I felt like those memories had to be kept up by me because no one else knows them. It must feel really lonely for her. but I think Roger can understand her a bit. I think it also reflects Claire's story of wondering about her parents. I think Roger's and Claire's histories mimic each other quite a bit as I read on.

You know what, I liked Roger from the first time we had him. It was refreshing to have a different point of view. You can tell he cares about Brianna and that he is invested in more than just her beauty. He's grown from the scholar to so much more.

Yes, but wouldn't you be curious? plus, she saw how much her mother cared. I think she knew it would force Claire to go.

Well, I was forced to stop.

I related this tidbit in another forum, but while I was reading this part about 5:30 a.m. a few weeks ago, I heard what I thought was gunfire. I was very irritated because I wanted to get back to Jamie and all his greatness, but then the sounds became more rapid, like a machine gun.

I called 911 and found out it was a car fire. Being the good little journalist I am, I grab some pants, a notepad and my camera and ran outside to cover the exploding cars.

Got a front page byline when I'm normally chill at my desk in the newsroom as an editor/designer, but it ruined my reading mojo. Stupid arsonist.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Toby said:
Got it Gertie!!! I wrote this in the other thread as well. Congrates author!!! Also, I didn't know your name was Margaret. ;D You have a nice name.
Thanks, Toby. I'll always be plain ole' Gertie to my friends here at KB.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Toby said:
Does anyone know what happened to the photos of Bree when Claire showed them to Jamie in the print shop? I mean, did Claire put them back in her bag, or were they left on the bed?
I don't know exactly what happened to them, but I don't think it's a spoiler to tell you that they will show up later on.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts