Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they don't make this one anymore and I would love to stay with this one, but it's not charging now. Plugged in all day in several places and with several cords. Definitely not charging. Help!!

· Super Moderator
74,503 Posts
It's probably the battery, but could be the charging port.

newpower.com may have a replacement battery available. They're usually fairly reasonably priced and come with the tools you'll need to open up the device. And they'll point you to where you can watch a video of how to do it as well.

If it's truly dead, amazon will let you trade it in, but I wouldn't expect to get more than $5 or $10 for it. The newest PW is pretty close in terms of use and style but does not have the haptic buttons and the on/off is on the bottom edge of the case. It does still have the smooth, non beveled frame, however.

If you NEED a Voyage -- I know many people are really attached to this model, and I agree it was the best designed -- you might find one for sale somewhere, but I'm sure they aren't available as used on Amazon and haven't seen them on Woot for a while.

I suppose it's possible a tech repair shop could look at it for you. I know Asurion, if there is one in your area, is an authorized amazon acceptance agent -- maybe they also fix kindles? I don't know -- they mostly do phones, tablets, laptops but you could ask.

Might find more resources over at mobileread.

Good luck

· Registered
301 Posts
I know they don't make this one anymore and I would love to stay with this one, but it's not charging now. Plugged in all day in several places and with several cords. Definitely not charging. Help!!
Has at least one of the several places been a PC? at least overnight?
Sometimes a 'dead' Kindle won't charge on a wall-plug but will from a PC.

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has at least one of the several places been a PC? at least overnight?
Sometimes a 'dead' Kindle won't charge on a wall-plug but will from a PC.
Thank you for your response. I have a iMac. Not know that the cords are not compatible with any apple device. But let me see what I can do. I checked for lint in the port of the Kindle because sometimes debris will prevent contact with the cord. But no lint. Let me try to see if I have an old apple cord that would work with the Kindle.

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your response. I have a iMac. Not know that the cords are not compatible with any apple device. But let me see what I can do. I checked for lint in the port of the Kindle because sometimes debris will prevent contact with the cord. But no lint. Let me try to see if I have an old apple cord that would work with the Kindle.
I found a cord that works with the kindle and the Mac. It doesn't seem to be doing anything. The yellow light is on. My voyager is about as drained as it's ever been so I'll see if something changes.

Kathy

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's probably the battery, but could be the charging port.

newpower.com may have a replacement battery available. They're usually fairly reasonably priced and come with the tools you'll need to open up the device. And they'll point you to where you can watch a video of how to do it as well.

If it's truly dead, amazon will let you trade it in, but I wouldn't expect to get more than $5 or $10 for it. The newest PW is pretty close in terms of use and style but does not have the haptic buttons and the on/off is on the bottom edge of the case. It does still have the smooth, non beveled frame, however.

If you NEED a Voyage -- I know many people are really attached to this model, and I agree it was the best designed -- you might find one for sale somewhere, but I'm sure they aren't available as used on Amazon and haven't seen them on Woot for a while.

I suppose it's possible a tech repair shop could look at it for you. I know Asurion, if there is one in your area, is an authorized amazon acceptance agent -- maybe they also fix kindles? I don't know -- they mostly do phones, tablets, laptops but you could ask.

Might find more resources over at mobileread.

Good luck
Thanks Ann. I'll investigate some of these suggestions. I'm hoping by plugging into my iMac, that it will charge. I haven't been on Kboards in many years but I remember you and Betsy were moderators even way back in the day!!

Kathy

· Registered
301 Posts
I found a cord that works with the kindle and the Mac. It doesn't seem to be doing anything. The yellow light is on. My voyager is about as drained as it's ever been so I'll see if something changes.

Kathy
It's been a few years, but I recall having a 'dead' Kindle (I forget which type) that eventually did come back to life-- after a long night & maybe a goodly part of a day as well, maybe even longer. I just figured it wasn't hurting anything to keep it plugged into my PC, so left it alone. IOW...patience!
Best Wishes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts