2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
step on a LEGO, bsAdmin

you're the worst

stop ignoring my PMs

edited, PM if you have questions -- Ann

·
Registered
Just finished Screamcatcher: Sasquatch Most Monstrous, fourth in series. Agent has it.
800 Posts
Sage advice from someone who's been there. My biggest obstacle will be listing multiple books--my agent has five of them and I'm so reluctant to pull any of them since she's "stagger" submitting them by genre, all at the same time. I'll have to wait until the sub train slows down or comes to an abrupt halt. She's also put lots of work and time into the editing and contact end of it. So I'll have to pow wow with her to find out which books have really gone the limit. I have two back-list books up on Amazon, published three years ago that still show books in inventory, so I'm not sure how to legally handle that. I do have my rights reverted to me on them, but I don't know about self-publishing them when they're still for sale on Amazon.

You can tell I'm new to the self-pub thing.

chris

·
Registered
180 Posts
smreine said:
I've seen a lot of new people floating around on KB asking for promo tips, so I thought I would give a quick guide to doing "the slow build" of sales. After getting into publishing almost sixteen months ago, I'm a full-time writer and making $2-5k a month (occasionally more). Since I'm not particularly smart or talented, I'm pretty confident anyone can pull it off doing the same stuff I have...
Brilliant. This thread deserves a bookmark. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dalya said:
@SM -- can I put your post up as a blog entry on yaindie.com ?

I'll link to your site and credit you and the KB of course!
Be my guest. No credit necessary. Fling it far and wide.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Excellent advice.

One question: how do you customize your sign-up page on Mailchimp. I use it, but I've never seen that option and it looks really great. I'm sure personalizing it like that really helps with sign-ups.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I write short stories so I'll stick with this advice you gave "skyclad dancing under the moon with ritual animal sacrifice"

I'll wait till the moon is out to walk my dog. ;)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dgaughran said:
Excellent advice.

One question: how do you customize your sign-up page on Mailchimp. I use it, but I've never seen that option and it looks really great. I'm sure personalizing it like that really helps with sign-ups.
That means a lot, coming from you, Mr. I Literally Wrote the Book on This. :)

If you login to Mailchimp and go to Lists, there should be a link that says "Forms" under the name of your mailing list. It takes you to a page where you design all the signup forms and follow-up emails.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A. Rosaria said:
I write short stories so I'll stick with this advice you gave "skyclad dancing under the moon with ritual animal sacrifice"

I'll wait till the moon is out to walk my dog. ;)
You can do this without a series, too. It's most effective with a series, I think, but it will work to a lesser degree on unrelated books.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
dgaughran said:
Excellent advice.

Here is what mine looks like - took me me all of three minutes: http://iamjustjunco.us5.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=9313bfe0e0713e135eac00c60&id=0fb0896cf5

Now with Constant contact I have a much more targeted sign-up, but that's for my "other" list. It's a much longer process, but typically you want quick and dirty.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JanneCO said:
You offer something to them to get them to sign up.

DISCLAIMER - don't offer soemething cheap or stupid. Something of value.
This is an option. Indeed, I used to offer a free download of one of my shorter books. I have since stopped doing that, and my enrollment rate hasn't dropped, so I don't think it was a huge incentive. It's a good way to get started, though. And I do spoil my mailing list subscribers by sending them free stuff a couple times a year anyway. :) I know they really appreciate it.

Keep in mind that readers who have enjoyed book 1 of a series really do want a convenient way to know that book 2 has come out. The real incentive here is being the first to find out that the characters they love are back for another adventure.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
chrisstevenson said:
Sage advice from someone who's been there. My biggest obstacle will be listing multiple books--my agent has five of them and I'm so reluctant to pull any of them since she's "stagger" submitting them by genre, all at the same time. I'll have to wait until the sub train slows down or comes to an abrupt halt. She's also put lots of work and time into the editing and contact end of it. So I'll have to pow wow with her to find out which books have really gone the limit. I have two back-list books up on Amazon, published three years ago that still show books in inventory, so I'm not sure how to legally handle that. I do have my rights reverted to me on them, but I don't know about self-publishing them when they're still for sale on Amazon.

You can tell I'm new to the self-pub thing.

chris
Write new novels now to self-publish. Don't wait around.
Your agent can spend 6-7 months shopping your existing ones around and then you get offered an awful contract. Read http://kriswrites.com/2012/08/22/the-business-rusch-the-end-of-the-unprofessional-writer/ to see just how bad contracts have gotten. I have an entertainment lawyer to look at my contracts. If you go back and read her Business Rusch articles, you'll see several breaking down current contracts and why you shouldn't sign them.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
smreine said:
That means a lot, coming from you, Mr. I Literally Wrote the Book on This. :)

If you login to Mailchimp and go to Lists, there should be a link that says "Forms" under the name of your mailing list. It takes you to a page where you design all the signup forms and follow-up emails.
Thanks for the advice, and the tip on the mailing list forms!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
smreine said:
And I do spoil my mailing list subscribers by sending them free stuff a couple times a year anyway. :) I know they really appreciate it.
Good idea, that. I started a mailing list using MailChimp awhile back, and so far have only used it to notify subscribers of sales. Free stuff is a nice thank-you. I'm thinking, a free copy of my next book when (ahem, when Toni??) it comes out.

And serious congrats on your monthly income!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Krista D. Ball said:
Lies. All lies.
Well, I do also put naked photos on page 32, but I didn't want to tell people that part. They might start stealing my success.

1 - 20 of 385 Posts