Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you find most annoying when visiting a website?

Some of my pet peeves are white-print-on-black-background or patterned backgrounds that make reading difficult; music that automatically plays as soon as I open the site (it's not evocative, it's irritating); and the absence of a "search" field (how is a casual visitor supposed to locate whatever info he needs?).

I'm setting up a website for my historical novel. What should I be sure to include on the site? What should I avoid? What do you as a reader hope to find when you head to an author's website? And when are you likeliest to visit it -- while deciding whether to buy a book or after you've bought it, to learn more about the book and the author?

Thanks so much,

Becky Akers

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I have an instructor who wants everyone to feel the intensity of the information he has on his website. Therefore his backgrounds are claw-your-eyes-out-red and bleed-through-every-orifice-neon-green, with either intense blue or yellow text.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eeeewwww. So have you dropped his course yet?
Thanks so much -- I'll eschew all neon colors!

Becky Akers

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
no. he really is a great teacher and has fabulous information. I'm taking my 7th and 8th classes from him. I just spend as little time as possible on his website. I cut/copy/paste into a word document and send it all to my Kindle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I despise animation, too. What are we, children watching cartoons?

Can you explain exactly what you mean by "inconsistency in navigation"? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Becky Akers said:
Can you explain exactly what you mean by "inconsistency in navigation"? Thanks so much.
Yes, I mean how you find your way around a website, which is chiefly via the main menu. Also via links in the footer, having a logo that always clicks through to the home page, etc. I often encounter websites that change these elements from page to page so you just don't know where you are or where to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts