Kindle Forum banner

Wacky Websites and Rapacious Readers

744 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Natasha Holme 
#1 ·
What do you find most annoying when visiting a website?

Some of my pet peeves are white-print-on-black-background or patterned backgrounds that make reading difficult; music that automatically plays as soon as I open the site (it's not evocative, it's irritating); and the absence of a "search" field (how is a casual visitor supposed to locate whatever info he needs?).

I'm setting up a website for my historical novel. What should I be sure to include on the site? What should I avoid? What do you as a reader hope to find when you head to an author's website? And when are you likeliest to visit it -- while deciding whether to buy a book or after you've bought it, to learn more about the book and the author?

Thanks so much,

Becky Akers

#2 ·
I have an instructor who wants everyone to feel the intensity of the information he has on his website. Therefore his backgrounds are claw-your-eyes-out-red and bleed-through-every-orifice-neon-green, with either intense blue or yellow text.

#4 ·
no. he really is a great teacher and has fabulous information. I'm taking my 7th and 8th classes from him. I just spend as little time as possible on his website. I cut/copy/paste into a word document and send it all to my Kindle.

#7 ·
Becky Akers said:
Can you explain exactly what you mean by "inconsistency in navigation"? Thanks so much.
Yes, I mean how you find your way around a website, which is chiefly via the main menu. Also via links in the footer, having a logo that always clicks through to the home page, etc. I often encounter websites that change these elements from page to page so you just don't know where you are or where to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.