Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to walk while I read my Kindle, but worry about dropping it. I've searched for some kind of case that has a neck strap (or wrist strap) I've seen a bag at a Coach store, but it would just carry the Kindle closed. I'd like something similar to a camera neck strap (lanyard?). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
look at straps for binoculars. they will stay closer to your chest in case of fall. you would still need a hook system to connect kindle.

I used to have two kids to watch. the only way to get them to nap was walking. with one in back pack and one in stroller, I would rest my book on stroller handle and walk and read. people would laugh but all parties were calm and comfy. ;D
Sylvia

·
Registered
493 Posts
sylvia said:
look at straps for binoculars. they will stay closer to your chest in case of fall. you would still need a hook system to connect kindle.

I used to have two kids to watch. the only way to get them to nap was walking. with one in back pack and one in stroller, I would rest my book on stroller handle and walk and read. people would laugh but all parties were calm and comfy. ;D
Sylvia
I'll try it , but I think I'll get more than a few laughs pushing an empty stroller just so it can hold my Kindle.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Gruntman said:
I'll try it , but I think I'll get more than a few laughs pushing an empty stroller just so it can hold my Kindle.
Go buy a baby doll and some receiving blankets. Tell them your just practicing. lol

·
Registered
493 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I'd try this, but I'm a klutz and I'd seriously hurt myself if I tried to read and walk at the same time..
You might be right, I'm still working on the gum and walking thing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here's an idea...get a piece of peg board a bit larger in size than your kindle plus cover, if you have one.  Thread a piece of cotton twine or rope through one of the holes on the side at the top and then again at the bottom.  The two pieces of rope then go around your neck with the peg board resting on your chest.  Cut the rope to what is a comfortable reading length for you.  You can then use the other holes to tie your kindle to the board.  I used something like this with a book years ago while riding a tractor.  Works pretty good!

·
Registered
493 Posts
ddarol said:
Here's an idea...get a piece of peg board a bit larger in size than your kindle plus cover, if you have one. Thread a piece of cotton twine or rope through one of the holes on the side at the top and then again at the bottom. The two pieces of rope then go around your neck with the peg board resting on your chest. Cut the rope to what is a comfortable reading length for you. You can then use the other holes to tie your kindle to the board. I used something like this with a book years ago while riding a tractor. Works pretty good!
Reading on a tractor wow, now that is dedication.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No, it was necessity.  Back then, there weren't any rechargable anything.  We had transistor radios, but the batteries were expensive and didn't last long.  And if you've ever ridden a tractor around a field, well, boring dosen't even come close.  The mother of invention, so to speak  ;)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
trade the stroller for shopping cart  ;D  -- I did not know what you would be walking with. it was me just remembering my walk and read time. Kids are teens now.

I have also worked the back of tractors - no chance for reading though - leveling fields, planting seed.... real old machines -- manual or need to watch

Sylvia

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If you just want a "failsafe" line, to keep it from hitting the ground: if you read with it in the cover, put a loop (slip knot, then loop around) of something (yarn, twine, twill tape, whatever) the spine of the cover, then a length of the string, then another loop with a slip knot around your wrist.  Adjust so that if you drop it, it can't hit the ground.

What I mean by a slip knot is a little loop, that you pass the long side of the string through to make an adjustable loop.  If you crochet, it's what you start a chain with.  Or, how you put a yo-yo string on your finger.

Just an idea.  I used to do something of the sort with my PDA when using it where I might get jostled, and I didn't want it to break.  Sort of a wrist leash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're all very clever, but a stroller would look even goofier since I'm a grandmother without stroller-age grandkids. 
Seriously, do you know of a Kindle case that has any kind of hooks or holes to which I might attach a strap? How strong would Velcro work for this purpose? And thanks for the binocular strap idea.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
JRS said:
You're all very clever, but a stroller would look even goofier since I'm a grandmother without stroller-age grandkids.
Seriously, do you know of a Kindle case that has any kind of hooks or holes to which I might attach a strap? How strong would Velcro work for this purpose? And thanks for the binocular strap idea.
Is it for the Kindle or Kindle2?

The reason I ask is because this looks like it might be what you're looking for and it's for the kindle2

·
Registered
740 Posts
Same here. A friend of mine used to read and ride his bicycle (back in high school), that was pretty amazing and then one day he got hit by a car :eek: He was ok though.

luvmy4brats said:
I'd try this, but I'm a klutz and I'd seriously hurt myself if I tried to read and walk at the same time..

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
JRS said:
I like to walk while I read my Kindle, but worry about dropping it. I've searched for some kind of case that has a neck strap (or wrist strap) I've seen a bag at a Coach store, but it would just carry the Kindle closed. I'd like something similar to a camera neck strap (lanyard?). Any suggestions?
You mean on a treadmill, right? I'm totally with luvmy4brats on this one: it wouldn't matter what sort of strap there was, b/c I'd kill myself in the attempt the first week. Let us know if you find something, however. We will be very impressed with your solution. And, in my case, more than a little envious.

I mean, I can barely walk and walk at the same time.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Oh, I was totally THAT geek in school. Fell off a curb more times than I could count and frequently walked right past my house.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I'm still that geek. I wound up in a cast for nearly a year just from walking down a hill...and it wasn't even a steep hill..and I didn't fall, or twist anything.

I fell out of bed once and wound up on crutches for a month.

I broke my finger while sitting in a chair.

I could keep going...It just gets worse. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts