Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am very interesting in buying a kindle for newspapers (and books). For anyone who read the wall street journal on their kindle, does the kindle version include the data tables in the money and investing section? For example, dividend changes or current rates? I like to check these everyday and I understand some things might not be included in the kindle versions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
@BD1:  You don't have to buy a full subscription.  You could just buy a single issue for .75

That's what I did to test out USA Today and NY Times. 

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I read three newspapers a day and would like to switch to kindle. I know some items are missing from kindle newspapers but I would like to make  sure some key items (for me) are included.

I've tried searching the web but can't find more info or screenshots.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You can try out the Journal (really, any of the newspapers) for free for 14 days to see if it suits you.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
I get the Kindle version, but have not seen a paper version in many years, so I'm not sure what I am missing...

Whenever there is a chart, graph or picture as part of a story, it is included. I have a K1, and so even with the zoom feature, it is not easy to read the small print on a chart. Hopefully would be better on a K2, though.

I've never seen any charts/tables that were not part of a specific article, so it's possible that what you are looking for is not included in the e-version because of legibility.

I have the past 3 days loaded at the moment; if you could specify what section and article you are looking at in the paper version, I could try to find it for you...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bosslady said:
I get the Kindle version, but have not seen a paper version in many years, so I'm not sure what I am missing...

Whenever there is a chart, graph or picture as part of a story, it is included. I have a K1, and so even with the zoom feature, it is not easy to read the small print on a chart. Hopefully would be better on a K2, though.

I've never seen any charts/tables that were not part of a specific article, so it's possible that what you are looking for is not included in the e-version because of legibility.

I have the past 3 days loaded at the moment; if you could specify what section and article you are looking at in the paper version, I could try to find it for you...
Thanks for the help! This is just an example. In today's Money and Investing Section there is a table called Dividend Changes that lists all the companies increasing, decreasing their dividends today. There are other tables I look at but this is just one example that I am curious if it is in the kindle version?

·
Registered
261 Posts
BD1 said:
Thanks for the help! This is just an example. In today's Money and Investing Section there is a table called Dividend Changes that lists all the companies increasing, decreasing their dividends today. There are other tables I look at but this is just one example that I am curious if it is in the kindle version?
I see 34 articles in today's M&I section. Each one has a byline and a short paragraph describing the article, and none of them even mentions dividends. So it does not look like everything is included in the Kindle version (sorry!)

I have to say though, that reading the paper is alot faster, easier, neater and more convenient on a Kindle. So if you can get the tables you want through their website, you should still consider using a Kindle to read the rest of the paper.

You could also e-mail the WSJ and ask them if they have any intention of including other charts/lists in the e-version, since the K2 now has better screen resolution than the K1.

If you want me to look for anything else, let me know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bosslady said:
I see 34 articles in today's M&I section. Each one has a byline and a short paragraph describing the article, and none of them even mentions dividends. So it does not look like everything is included in the Kindle version (sorry!)
I am really leaning towards ordering a Kindle and giving it a try. Is there anyway to post a picture of what listing of 34 articles with byline and short paragraph look like? I have looked all over for newspaper kindle pictures and have only found front pages. Again, thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
261 Posts
BD1 said:
Is there anyway to post a picture of what listing of 34 articles with byline and short paragraph look like?
Subscription is 9.99 per month. On the Home Page, the WSJ is one line. Click on that, and you get a list of issues. The issues stay on your kindle until you delete them. The issues stay on Amazon for maybe a week, I think. So if you are out of Wispernet area and do not download them via USB, you will eventually start losing access to back issues. There are 6 issues a week. I'm not sure when the earliest it is available each morning, but when I used to get up at 5 it was always there (I turn wispernet on at night)

I have my fonts on the smallest setting.

Here is the Front page; the first couple items are stand-alone articles; then there is always a What's News: B&F group and a What's News: World-Wide group. Each one of these two groups contain several articles.

If you click on the group WN:B&F it takes you to a listing of those articles;

If you click on an article, this is what it looks like;

The Back button takes you back up one level; so when you are finished with this article and hit Back, you are back at the article listing for this group. Hit Back again, and you are at the Front Page.

From the Front Page, after the two article 'groups', you go through several pages of individual article links. At any time you click on an article to read it, the Back button will take you back to the article list where you left off; you don't have to start back on the Front Page.

At the Front Page, if you were to select the 'Sections List', you would get this; clicking on a section gives you the article list for just that section.

I couldn't find a chart, but here is what a picture looks like;

go ahead, take the plunge!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bosslady you sold me.....ordering a Kindle now.

It might not have a few data charts but I can check those later on the web.

And it does add online wsj content that is not in the paper so this is a nice plus.

Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Make sure you order it by linking to Amazon through the Kindleboards link at top of screen; then Harvey get bonus $ to help keep everything running! And welcome to the Club!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts