Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meant to post this last night but never got back on the computer. Here's Walter Mossberg's review of the Kindle 2: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123560923985677325.html?mod=djemptech

Very positive review - he really likes it, especially as compared to the original Kindle which he didn't like. Notable quotes:

"Amazon.com has fixed the worst design flaws in the Kindle, its popular electronic-book reader, while maintaining the excellent book-buying experience that made the first Kindle model tolerable despite those problems."

"While the Kindle project has often been compared with Apple's iPod, because both are hardware devices seamlessly connected to online-content stores, there is a fundamental difference. Apple offers content to sell hardware. Amazon offers the Kindle to sell content."

"But for serious book readers who are tired of toting around stacks of books and periodicals, the new Kindle is finally a pleasure to use."

Now if my Kindle 2 will just get here. It was a present from my wife and she shipped it Standard instead of using my Prime account (so I wouldn't discover it when the order popped up in my in box).

-greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read the review about an hour ago. Mossberg is perhaps the premier technology reviewer today. He confirmed my decision to purchase the K2.  ;D

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The review was fine, but the real interesting point they were making is that the Kindle is not the real ball game for Amazon. It is selling the books. The real money maker is selling books on the iphone, blackberry, etc. After reading it I had the impression that while they certainly would want the Kindle to be a success, their real interests might be elsewhere for the future. My impression might be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Steve

·
Registered
392 Posts
I for one hope they open up the software for other devices soon.

The more people buying Kindle books to run on whatever platform, the more titles will become available.  ;D

·
Registered
133 Posts
wilsondm2 said:
I for one hope they open up the software for other devices soon.

The more people buying Kindle books to run on whatever platform, the more titles will become available. ;D
I agree! As long as they still continue with the Kindle also. I have read books on my iphone, but the Kindle is many times better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts