Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I've been lurking as a guest for awhile now. I'm 99 percent sure I'm buying a DX. (I have a Sony 500, I know it's a gramma by now but it still works fine after almost 3 years now) I want the bigger screen and the terrific Amazon bookstore and free wireless stuff. I want one!!!! LOL. I'm a member at mobileread (am I allowed to say that?) and thought I would sign up here too.

Roy

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
Roy, I know where you're coming from. . . .well, I never had a Sony but it took me a long time to click for my first Kindle, and I just clicked for a DX today. . . .expecting it next week.  My strategy on the DX was to click right after my CC cycle ended so I don't actually have to pay for it until mid-August. :D

We have no problems with mobileread here. . .though I was a member and found it to be pretty quiet. . . . .once I started hanging out here I left mobile read -- didn't feel the need to be a member both places.  But that's just me. . . I think there are a fair number of folks here who check in over there and other places too. 

Welcome!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Welcome and enjoy

Hope you switch to the DX

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
If you have any questions feel free to ask

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm greeting. I'm most likely going to order a DX soon. I'm 48 and my eyes have lost the close focus. The DX seems like a nice must have for the large print without having to do a page next every 7 seconds on my Sony. I do have a question. About the case. Some people here seem to think the hinge on the DX amazon case will damage the DX. Has this happened? I bought an M edge executive case for my Sony and I've been real happy with it for 3 years so I will probably buy an M edge for the DX. The loops on the corners of the DX holding the case to the Kindle on the photos posted look like they could be a weak point on those M edge covers. How sturdy are those? Do they look line they will last for hundreds of hours if use? (I read alot!)
Thanks. Roy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome Roy.

Well, I own 2 of the original Kindles. I think I'm about ready for a new Kindle as well. I have to deal with lots of PDF files that I read on my laptop. Because of that, I'm leaning towards the DX. The choice is up to you!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hey Roy welcome! I think if you like your current e-reader and want a larger screen,bigger fonts, etc. You will not regret your kindle DX purchase. I only have a k2 but I think the benefit for you will outweigh the cost after a little time.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Roy White said:
Thanks for the warm greeting. I'm most likely going to order a DX soon. I'm 48 and my eyes have lost the close focus.
Do you realize that you are enabling me? I'm 57. I've found the K1 to be so much easier on my eyes than my DTBs are.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Welcome, Roy!

The wireless downloads from Amazon are great.  I've downloaded some freebies from other sites using the USB cord, but the convenience of Whispernet can't be beat.

My husband has been wanting a Kindle since I got my K2 in February.  I just ordered the DX for him as a Father's Day gift.  He reads hard back books mostly, so I think he will prefer the DX. 

To save a few bucks, I signed up for the Amazon Rewards Visa card at the same time.  That gives you a $30 credit after your first purchase.  And they give you higher rewards points in the early days of having the card.  If I calculated correctly, this should result in a $25 Amazon Gift Card, just from the DX purchase. 

Since I know that I would spend that much on books at Amazon in the near future, I count this as a $55 total savings on the price of the DX.  (If you want to try this, just be sure to check the math for yourself - I don't want to mislead someone.)

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Hmmmm.  I have an Amazon Visa and I get the $25 rewards certificate for every $2500 that I charge on it.  The KDX is almost $500, so it's 1/5th of what's needed to earn the $25 rewards certificate.

But I have to agree that the purchase of the KDX will bring you $500 closer to getting to the $2500 purchases necessary for the reward.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you buy things from amazon, that's 3 points (so buying KDX will have 1500 points) and they double that for the first 90 days you use your card which then equals to 3000 points= $25! (and some change) ;D

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Ooh, then I get three points for every dollar I spend at Amazon with my Amazon Visa (even though I'm not a new customer)? 

I'm torn right now.  I'm thinking about another Oberon cover (for K1), but if I get that, it will be a much longer while before I buy a KDX.

·
Registered
918 Posts
mlewis78 said:
Ooh, then I get three points for every dollar I spend at Amazon with my Amazon Visa (even though I'm not a new customer)?
Yep! I let my mom, dad, sister, and best friend use my card so I can get the points! I love it... ;D

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
But guys (and gals) don't forget to go to Amazon through the link above so KB gets the credit.

Roy - you definitely need a DX - definitely - for sure!  But if you don't get one you are still welcome here.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Anju No. 469 said:
But guys (and gals) don't forget to go to Amazon through the link above so KB gets the credit.
I did - it is nice to have that link at the top that takes you straight to the Kindle DX page on Amazon.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Roy:

I too owned a Sony and enjoyed it very much.  Actually, I just sold it on ebay last week, and apparently some people still like them.  My first Kindle was the K2 which I kept until the DX came out.  I'm quite happy with it.  Take the plunge.  I think you'll be happy you did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts