Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the movie is anything like the book:

Some children may find it emotionally upsetting as it deals with some serious issues. It's not "all about the cute puppy"

If you want to know exactly why it may be upsetting read the following spoiler: If not; don't touch the black bar below.
Dog bleeds at the paws and snout; destroys property savagely due to fear of thunderstorms, becomes ill several times, and DIES

Just thought you might like to be forewarned I am going to see the Movie tomorrow; I will let you know if it varies from the book.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My wife and I went to see this movie the other day and the end will be very upsetting for some. She read the book though I did not, she told me what happened before going to see it. I heard a lot of tissues being blown. Almost dropped a few tears of my own. I have a yellow lab so it really hit close to home and I spent some extra time with him once I got home. It was a good movie but I'm not sure little kids should see the end of it...heck, not sure I'd ever want to see the end of it again!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
sjc said:
and DIES
Like every other great dog movie. ;) Come on, if kids from more innocent times could handle it, so can today's children, who are much more wise to the ways of the world than previous generations ever were.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The first movie I ever saw in a theater was Ol Yeller and it almost killed me. I think I can count on one hand the number of dog movies I have seen since then. Marley & Me is not on the list.

Can anyone here name a dog movie with a happy ending? Besides 101 Dalmatians?

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Jeff said:
The Call of the Wild?
Okay. And I guess the one about the dog dragging the medicine across the Alaskan wilderness had a happy ending, too, since the kid got the medicine and didn't die of...whatever horrible disease he was dying of. (Points to anyone who can figure out what movie I am talking about! LOL...I want to say Nanook of the North but that's about an Eskimo, not a dog.)

L

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Leslie said:
(Points to anyone who can figure out what movie I am talking about! LOL...I want to say Nanook of the North but that's about an Eskimo, not a dog.)
I need the points.

[quote Author=Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]
Balto is a 1995 animated/live action film produced by Steven Spielberg's Amblimation animation studio, distributed by Universal Pictures, and originally released to movie theatres in 1995. Balto is based on a true story about the dog of the same name (voiced by Kevin Bacon), who helped save children from the diphtheria epidemic in the 1925 serum run to Nome. The live action portion of the films was shot in Central Park.

Balto is the final animated feature produced by Steven Spielberg's Amblimation animation studio, before Spielberg co-founded DreamWorks with David Geffen and Jeffrey Katzenberg; most of the Amblimation staff was re-located to DreamWorks Animation. Universal Pictures would not release another feature-length animated film to theaters for over a decade, until Curious George in 2006. Similarly, it would be over a decade until Amblin Entertainment would produce another theatrically released animated film, which was 2006's Columbia Pictures computer-animated feature film Monster House.[/quote]

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Ding ding ding! Balto, that's it. Thanks, Jeff! I had the salient details right, was just blanking on the name.

I believe Balto's run across Alaska is the route of the Iditarod....again, someone correct me if I am wring.

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
CS said:
Like every other great dog movie. ;) Come on, if kids from more innocent times could handle it, so can today's children, who are much more wise to the ways of the world than previous generations ever were.
I saw the movie Old Yeller, hated it and have NEVER watched it again. Neither has my brother, three years older. Still makes my stomach hurt.

Betsy

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's why I don't want to go see Marley and Me. I did read the book and
balled like a baby at the end
. Although, the author did have some wonerful things to say about life and living with a dog that I liked.

The new movie, Dog Hotel, looks like a happy one as they're all rescue dogs taken into a hotel!! Granted, the kids have a hard time keeping it run etc., but I fully hope it has a happy ending - it just has to. And, being in dog rescue, I think it will only help our plight.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
Ding ding ding! Balto, that's it. Thanks, Jeff! I had the salient details right, was just blanking on the name.

I believe Balto's run across Alaska is the route of the Iditarod....again, someone correct me if I am wring.

L
Leslie gets points, too! She's not wring, she's not even wrong. ;D

From the IMDB.com listing for Balto:
A half-wolf, half-husky named Balto gets a chance to become a hero when an outbreak of diphtheria threatens the children of Nome, Alaska in the winter of 1925. He leads a dog team on a 600-mile trip across the Alaskan wilderness to get medical supplies. The film is based on a true story which inspired the Iditarod dog sled race.
Betsy

·
Registered
657 Posts
I love animals but I can't watch/read most animal books for that reason.

I remember as a kid bawling while reading the a horse book series (flicka maybe?) where they grabbed the mother of the main horse 'character' from the wild herd. They put her in an open top horse trailer and she was so scared she reared up smacking her head on the ranch sign and dying (I assume breaking her neck).

I HATE Old Yeller. Heck some of the more brutal scenes and the death of Ginger in Black Beauty makes me bawl still.

Didn't The Yearling have a bad ending also?

Why does 99% of animal movies/books end sad and depressing?

B

·
0 Posts
Leslie said:
Can anyone here name a dog movie with a happy ending? Besides 101 Dalmatians?

L
Lassie Come Home
Oliver & Company
Big Red
The Amazing Journey
All Dogs Go to Heaven

·
Super Moderator
67,247 Posts
Beethoven 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

the one with the big slobbery dog and tom hanks

ann

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you like animal books with a happy ending, please avoid "The Red Pony." I had no idea what I was getting into.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Milo and Otis: Happy
I have to agree with Leslie...I saw Old Yeller at the drive-in theater when I was a kid; cried for days...have never watched it since.

My Daughter bawled buckets when she saw the Lion King; cried for weeks every time she thought about it
Dances with the White Dog:  The late Greats:  Hugh Cronin and Jessica Tandy...Cried...but great movie. 

1 - 20 of 32 Posts