Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm a big fan of Save the Children  :D. (www.savethechildren.org)

They give communities in places like Mozambique help with fresh water, sustainable living, school for the kids, etc.  I like their transparency.

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Christopher Smith said:
Each of my grandmothers recently died of breast cancer--it was back-to-back. I've donated here and hope others will as well: https://www.cancer.org/involved/donate/donateonlinenow/YESEM1/index?gclid=CPTGt6j05akCFQJrKgodJ0z2YA
My grandmother was lucky to survive, but I know others who are at risk and who are currently fighting it, that's why July's goal is to raise as much as possible for Breast Cancer and Save The Children. I could just keep going through August with the same organizations, but I thought I'd check around for anyone else's experiences and opinions of different organizations.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I tend to keep my charities close to home. Since I live in a town where lives are too often lost to the sea, I prefer donating or raising funds for the organizations that use the money to help the families -- especially the children -- of men who don't come home. One example is Sebastian Junger's Perfect Storm Foundation.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kathleen Valentine said:
I tend to keep my charities close to home. Since I live in a town where lives are too often lost to the sea, I prefer donating or raising funds for the organizations that use the money to help the families -- especially the children -- of men who don't come home. One example is Sebastian Junger's Perfect Storm Foundation.
My uncle Beau's a crab fisherman in Coos Bay, OR, and he just got married in May and went up to Alaska for a longer fishing trip in June, so I can relate, though no one I know's been lost at sea to knock on peg-leg wood for that... :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've been very fortunate this year.  Whatever the group chooses, I'll donate to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts