Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I have a headache and with a headache I have a hard time reading fine legal text. ><'. I see you can purchase 2 years of warranty with a Kindle 2; does anyone know if there is any minimal warranty included in the original price?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I would love to hear from others, especially those who own a K1, what they think of these warranties as compared to the K1 warranty. K1 didn't come with an extended warranty, did it? Then again, the battery was replaceable, correct? I usually don't go for extended warranties, but this one seems like it might give me peace of mind. Would love to hear from others on this.

I found these links on the Amazon site for the 1-year limited warranty that comes with K2 and the 2-year extended (i.e. additional 1-year) warranty that can be purchased for $65.00 on the Amazon site.

ONE-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY (no additional cost):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=kin2w_ddp?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200144500

TWO-YEAR EXTENDED WARRANTY ($65.00): Please note box on website that says, in part: "Extended Warranty must be purchased within 30 days of the date your Kindle 2 is shipped. Only available for U.S.-based customers. Offered and sold by Service Net, an industry-leading service management company." The link below also includes a sub-link with the fine print on Terms & Conditions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P81618/ref=kin2w_ddp

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. I wish they would offer the two years extension toward the end of your first year. =/.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Get the square trade warranty, It lasts 3 years, and for a minimum fee you can add accidents to it, and then the decuctible is only 50 dollars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For SquareTrade ; how exactly does it work with Kindle? Do they have an agreement with Amazon?

Also does anyone know if 'THIRTY30' is still valid for SquareTrade and can be used toward a Kindle Warranty?

Hmm put the 'myvalentine' code in the quote thing. The $359.00 warranty dropped to 34.99 total for three years. So; buy this now? Or buy it toward the end of my current warranty?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I dont have it yet myself, still waiting on my kindle. I believe its a totally seperate company. Its kinda like car insurance from what I understand.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Aki said:
Hmm put the 'myvalentine' code in the quote thing. The $359.00 warranty dropped to 34.99 total for three years. So; buy this now? Or buy it toward the end of my current warranty?
You can only get an extended warranty within a certain number of days of purchase. And it won't extend the coverage, ie., the clock starts when you purchased the item, not the warranty. There's no point in waiting, unless you don't have the money now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also, just as an additional info: some credit cards offer warranty extension for free. I get an additional one year warranty with my Visa Signature if I pay the full purchase price with the card (which I did for the K2). Sure, there's no accidental damage protection, but if you don't want to purchase any extra coverage you might want to double check your credit cards options.

Dirk

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the K2 extended warranty in case of an accidental drop, etc., but I suppose I should wait to buy it until my K2 arrives.....just in case I don't like the Kindle  ::) 

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would definitely suggest it. I dont usually buy them on things like TVs or computers because they stay put. But with things i carry around day to day, i like to have the peace of mind.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thanks, KindleKid.  I agree with you.  I'm not much on extended warranties, but this one is inexpensive enough and provides very good protection for such an often-used device.  I wish we didn't have to pay for it at all, though, after the budget-busting of buying K2, cover, etc.  Like you said, at least it's worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
736 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
There's a thread over in the Accesories board (Deceptive Extended Warranty) that has much more info on the Square Trade Warranty.
Here's the link:
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,3374.0.html

You can get a 3 year warranty with Accidental Damage for $52.49 (use coupon code myvalentine)

That's a year more than the Amazon Warranty for $15 less.
Thanks for the point in that direction! I've heard of Square Trade (haven't heard of the Amazon extended warranty company), but I don't know of Square Trade's reputation for service. Can anyone attest to it?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
libro said:
Thanks for the point in that direction! I've heard of Square Trade (haven't heard of the Amazon extended warranty company), but I don't know of Square Trade's reputation for service. Can anyone attest to it?
I know there are others on the boards that have used them in the past and have been happy with them (I can't remember who though) This will be the first time I've used them. If I had known about them when I bought my first Kindle I would have (I have 4 kids. Accidental Damage Coverage is a MUST in this household...It usually covers drops in toilets..yes, that's happened to 2 cell phones and a Gameboy)

FYI, you can cancel your warranty with Square Trade within 60 days and get your money back if you decide not to keep the Kindle or decide against the warranty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hmm.. I might check out that square trade. $65 for an additional year seems a little steep. I always hear those stories about how stores make a TON of money on extended warranties.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
How much is the Square Trade?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Are any of y'all purchasing the Square Trade warranty BEFORE getting your K2? 

I'm tempted to buy it now because of the 30% off coupon.  Because the code is "myvalentine" I am guessing it might expire after tomorrow... Has anyone seen an expiration date?

Bonnie

1 - 20 of 34 Posts