Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just agreed with my publisher to have the rights to four of my novels returned to me. The reason being promises were not kept and my books failed to get the exposure needed. I have three indy books out, which have all held top 100 spots on Kindle in the last week. And it left me scratching my head, as to why I am working with a publisher when my indy books are out selling my published books by at least 10x. My blog site gets over 1500 hits a day at the moment, I am doing the first promo drive for another author next month, my books are doing well and more and more people are reading them and leaving five star reviews. I have just cut my lifeline to the publishing world, so now I am back to being an indy author. I know this is hard work, but I work about 60 hours a week promoting my samurai romance story and my dark romantic suspense novel, so hard work has never been an issue. Was it a good move? If you were in my position would you have done the same?

Alex.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If the publisher wasn't meeting contractual obligations, of course you did the right thing, Alex.

As for the rest... well, only you can decide that. You're having success using this route, so why not continue what's working? Just be open to what might come down the road -- you never know when someone will come along and offer you bigger and better promotion that'll increase your sales and your visibility.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think it's a good move if you felt the publisher wasn't doing it's job.  Keep at the hard work and enjoy the benefits when the come! :)

-jb 8)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Scary to cut loose. We are all so conditioned to think that a traditional contract is best. It's only in the last 12 months that the industry is finally starting to wake up to us indies - but I think things can only get better.

deb

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies everyone. I do feel the books now have a chance to compete. I have been very lucky with the fact my indy books have done fairly well, but I honestly do not know how these books will do. I just wanted to at least have a chance at putting them out, which the publisher was just so slow to do. I mean they sat on two of the books for nearly two years, which is just insane. I mean we came to the edits of my first novel and did them in a day. Editor said the book was 95% perfect. "Why have I waited two years then?" lol. It has been a difficult period watching good books fade away. So, thank you for your words I do appreciate it. My nerves have settled today. Losing the safety net of being "published" was a big move, but I am very proud to be an Indy Author and thats the path I will follow from now on. Have a great weekend everyone.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i did the same thing--had the rights to my biomedical thrillers returned to me--GARGOYLES and THE UNNATURAL. Only i wasn't given a choice--here, they said, take 'em, we don't want them. so i'm preparing to release both as ebooks. I'll see how it goes. good luck to you. based on your sales, i'd definitely agree you made the right move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts