Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we've got several from Washington State on the boards, including our fearless leader Harvey!  How're conditions for you all?  The map makes it look like the whole state is under flood watch.  And the pics are fairly dramatic!

Betsy

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Betsy,
I just had the Weather Channel on, seen all the flooding and wondered the exact same thing.  Of course, Harvey is in Las Vegas, so I hope his area is fine so he doesn't have to worry.
debbie

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Yes, Bellingham is in the heart of the flooding and I'm getting reports from my wife about it.

Our house is on a hill so we are okay. Many roads are stilled closed, and yesterday schools were closed. It's a mess! And I won't even see it until I get home on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ouch! Glad your on a hill. I'm not near the floods, at least my house isn't. I have a few coworkers that had to find another way home as their route was flooded. Also my boss' mother inlaw was forcably evacuated from her home.

theresam

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am (thankfully) not living near a river.  I'm in a city, but located in higher elevation area. I've seen a lot of rivers very high on their embankments and many pools of water where none existed before.

It was raining so hard here the other day that there was *lots* of standing water on the roads and highways.  One of the few times most drivers stayed below the speed limit.  I could feel when my tires were hydroplaning at a slow speed so I sure as hell was not going to going fast.  'Nuff of that.

Harvey, is that pic of Bellingham?  I could not recognize it.  Glad your wife is keeping you updated and that your household is safe.  Crossing my fingers you'll be able to get into Bellingham on Sunday.  Good travel mercies to you ahead of time.

Marci

G

·
I don't know if y'all are aware of this so I'll mention it just in case. I used to work as a waste water plant operator and as such, I know flooding cause sewers to wash out and mix with all that flood water.

The waste water can also contaminate your drinking water if your city has leaky pipes and almost all of them do. Wading unprotected in flood water is not a good idea.

It's a good idea to use bottled water during floods or use decontamination procedures on your tap water.

Here's an article about it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9242497/

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Watching the news it's so heartbreaking to see all the damage done by the flooding and mudslides.  :(

In Washington one of the biggest problems we have is when it floods so much that it covers the major roads and freeways we are basically stuck unless you want to fly. At one point all of our major east/west routes were closed as well as the north/south routes. While that may not be so bad for the average person, it's really bad for commerce. Nothing gets in unless it's flown in. Our parcel services and mail gets delayed, our grocery stores start running out and our gas stations start running out of fuel too.

Some of the people flooded- can't really just call it flooding because a lot of the problem is mud and muck- haven't even got over the flooding from November of 2007 and then they are hit again with this latest round.

I guess we are fortunate though, we don't have to worry about a tornado or hurricanes!

·
Registered
869 Posts
sherylb said:
Watching the news it's so heartbreaking to see all the damage done by the flooding and mudslides. :(

I guess we are fortunate though, we don't have to worry about a tornado or hurricanes!
Amen to all of what you said, Sheryl, & especially to that ^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts