1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
So, everyone go out and buy your Kindle and prove him wrong. Oh, we already have! ;D

I was looking at the Sony for a few years, didn't like it-or the cost. When Kindle came along, I knew this was the one for me.

I think MR.Washington Post needs to stick with Dead Tree Books, that might make him happy.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I feel like he's right -it does cost too much considering all the upgrades it needs.
Having said that, I'm extremely happy with Skinderella, and I have come to accept that I spent too much, otherwise I'd be unhappy, too.
If they don't make improvements, both in outside design, and software, I won't buy another.

I think for those of us who are happy (for now) with the limitations, like you can't make folders to clean up the eleventy thousand pages of books listed, it's a wonderful purchase. But I can totally see why (from reading only your post and not his review) he has a problem considering it a gift to recommend.

he's prolly also a little crazy *snort*

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
like you can't make folders to clean up the eleventy thousand pages of books listed
Folders are a Necessity for the Kindle. I think I will write Amazon everyday and ask for Folders.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
It sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about. There was a blog on ZDNet the other day by a guy who is very anti-Kindle. He had come up with an excel spreadsheet trying to determine when a Kindle would pay for itself--a breakeven point, as it were. By his assessment, it would take several years and since he doesn't believe that the Kindle will be around for several years, he concluded that the Kindle was not a good investment. (I didn't agree with his calculations or assumptions, btw). Anyway, it sounds like this writer got some of his info on cost and payback from that blog.

L

·
Registered
385 Posts
Leslie said:
It sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about. There was a blog on ZDNet the other day by a guy who is very anti-Kindle. He had come up with an excel spreadsheet trying to determine when a Kindle would pay for itself--a breakeven point, as it were. By his assessment, it would take several years and since he doesn't believe that the Kindle will be around for several years, he concluded that the Kindle was not a good investment. (I didn't agree with his calculations or assumptions, btw). Anyway, it sounds like this writer got some of his info on cost and payback from that blog.

L
I, however, do agree with your decision to use Hugh, hubba-hubba hottie-man, Jackman as your AV.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
KindleCat said:
I, however, do agree with your decision to use Hugh, hubba-hubba hottie-man, Jackman as your AV.
Thank you! Although I am sure I am bugging Bacardi Jim ;)

L

G

·
KindleCat said:
She has a spiteful ulterior motive for that, I could be wrong though, it happened once.

·
Registered
788 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Sounds like this guy is miffed because no one's getting him a Kindle for Christmas.
Sounds about right to me. Although it seems to me that Kindle haters fall into one of two categories.

A. People who don't read nearly enough for it to be a good purchase for them anyway

or

B. Luddites who wish we could go back to clay tablets.

I bought my Kindle last month and it is, without a doubt, the BEST 300 dollars I have spent on a gadget. Had I not bought one I would have LOVED to receive one for Christmas and I know that a lot of people I have shown it to feel the same way.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree that if you're not a reader then it probably doesn't make economic sense to buy a Kindle.  But if that's the case, you need to go back to your cave and stop writing about new-fangled whatchama-gizmos in newspapers anyway.  ;D

This is a first-gen product!  Anything will be a bit clunkier and awkward during its initial rollout, and really, it does EVERYTHING I need it to do.  Anything else, like folders, slightly better positioned buttons, etc. are minor tweaks that would be appreciated but not critical for me to read and enjoy books.  One year after launching the Kindle, Amazon has approximately 200,000 titles available and of course, there are thousands and thousands more available at other ebook companies.  I spent $399 for the 1st gen iPhone, and a couple hundred for my iPod.  Are they luxuries?  Yes.  Do they really pay for themselves?  No.  Do they change everything?  Yes!  Saying that it's not a good idea for someone to buy a Kindle purely using an economic argument is totally ignoring why gagillions of consumers have bought all these different types of electronics.  They're paradigm shifters and I guess, you either "get it" or you don't. 

Another thing, don't forget the intangibles: I live in a tiny apartment and storage was getting to be a real issue for me - not anymore!  I also don't have to worry about schlepping to the bookstore for a book they may not carry, and if I want to subscribe to the WSJ or NYT it will simply be there every morning (and at a lot less cost to this California girl), plus with the ability to try samples I will be more willing to try new authors or genres. 

Personally, I think the Kindle will be very successful just like the iPod was.  Yes, there will be stumbling points along the way but considering that Amazon isn't going anywhere and their enormous marketshare, I think they will get publishers and consumers on board.  And just like the negotiations Apple had with music companies about DRM for the music downloads, the fact that the Kindle ebooks are protected will really help make it happen. 

If we see in the next year (as I think we will), an agreement between Amazon and college textbook publishers to carry textbooks then we'll know that the Kindle isn't a flash in the pan gizmo.  It will be here to stay. 

·
Registered
788 Posts
hazeldazel said:
Another thing, don't forget the intangibles: I live in a tiny apartment and storage was getting to be a real issue for me - not anymore! I also don't have to worry about schlepping to the bookstore for a book they may not carry, and if I want to subscribe to the WSJ or NYT it will simply be there every morning (and at a lot less cost to this California girl), plus with the ability to try samples I will be more willing to try new authors or genres.
This was one of the major selling points for me. I live in a one bedroom apartment with 2 other people, and while it's a tight squeeze, the only space problems I've noticed are with my books! I filled up the bookcase that I was allowed, and was getting ready to start stacking new books on top of one another or putting two lines on the shelf, one in front of the other.

Now I'm planning on getting rid of all of my DTBs that can be bought or otherwise found in Kindle Format, therefore making more space for the books that will never be available on Kindle (J.K. Rowling, I'm looking at you!).

Forget the money, the cost of "space" that this is saving me is worth it purchase alone.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Many like the WaPo guy are overly concerned with the Kindle's break-even point. It's true that, for many of us, it may never actually pay for itself, but I don't believe saving money is the reason we made the purchase. Speaking for myself (heck, I'll speak for all of you) the Kindle was TOTALLY WORTH IT, because of the convenience, portability, and readability. I'm sure he has no problem justifying buying an iPod or a DVD player, and where is the break-even point on those? It's time folks stopped thinking of books as sacrosanct and realize they are media, like music and movies, and any technology that improves the overall experience of that media should be embraced.

·
Registered
383 Posts
quickfics said:
Many like the WaPo guy are overly concerned with the Kindle's break-even point. It's true that, for many of us, it may never actually pay for itself, but I don't believe saving money is the reason we made the purchase. Speaking for myself (heck, I'll speak for all of you) the Kindle was TOTALLY WORTH IT, because of the convenience, portability, and readability.
Thank you quickfics! I will never reach my break-even point because before kindle I traded books, bought them used, went to the library, or got them at Costco. The advantage of not having dtb all over my house, the instant gratification of whispernet, the free samples that have led me to new genres and authors are above and beyond any monetary "break-even point" you can work up on a spread sheet!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
quickfics said:
It's time folks stopped thinking of books as sacrosanct and realize they are media, like music and movies, and any technology that improves the overall experience of that media should be embraced.
Thank you, quickfics! I agree 100%.

Actually, for me, my Kindle did "pay" for itself, during a business trip back in June. I was traveling with two others and we had one rental car so I was dependent on the driver to get around (we were not in a city so walking was not an option). Being able to get the New York Times every morning and buy a few books over the course of the week made me value my Kindle far beyond its price tag.

L

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am happy with my 1st gen.  I might buy a new one if the upgrade is worth it.  I have a 1st gen Ipod Touch and am not impressed with the 2nd gen.  You cannot charge the 2nd through the speaker systems that are out there.  So, as an adopter of upgrades, I am not buying the new one.  Could happen with Kindle...  The upgrades might not be worth anything.  We'll just have to wait and see and stop speculating. 

·
Registered
788 Posts
Bacardi Jim: The landlord knows. Apparently we have not yet reached the maximum capacity for that apartment size  :eek:

G

·
Mikuto said:
Bacardi Jim: The landlord knows. Apparently we have not yet reached the maximum capacity for that apartment size :eek:
Lucky for you that you don't live in Kansas. In a lot of ways, actually. ;)

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Well, I proved him wrong. I just ordered my Kindle as a Christmas present to myself, if it comes by then  :eek:

I literally just ordered it like 10 minutes ago  ;D

I did a lot of research and thinking, but it does what I need it to do. I guess it comes down to what one's needs are.

I did have to wait this long to order as it is a bit expensive and I had to save up my money first. Now of course shipping time is 3-4 weeks.

Oh yeah, I am new Hi :D. I tend to just jump right in lol.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts