Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Waterfield (sfbags) large slip case for my K1.  It was meant to hold the Kindle in it's cover.  When I got my K2, I pre-ordered an Oberon.  So, I am coverless at the moment and wanted some protection.  The Kindle 2 fits in the Waterfield lg. slip case perfectly.  It's not quite as much protection as I would like long term but it works for now.  I was going to sell the sleeve but now I think I will keep it on my nightstand for when I just want to slip my Kindle 2 into it at night.  Just thought you Waterfield accessory owners would like to know.

Actually, I measured the interior width of the slip case and it is a generous 8 1/2 inches, almost 8 3/4.  With the newer slimmer profile of the Kindle 2, and if Oberon makes their K2 covers in the same proportion to the the Kindle as they did the K1 covers (1/2 in. bigger than Kindle itself), it might even fit the K2 in the Oberon cover.  Of course, I'll have to wait and see about that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Actually the small 'SleeveCase' fits the K2 perfectly as well! The K2 is a snug, pretty much perfect fit actually. It provides tons of protection. Since you're calling your case the 'large' slip case, I think you probably mean the SleeveCase. Since my small fits, the large would *definitely* fit. I'm surprised you think it doesn't have much protection though - I think my sleevecase provides quite a bit. I have both the small sleevecase and their travel case.

I'm just waiting right now to see what people think of the Oberon with their K2's before I decide on an M-Edge or another Oberon. I'm going to keep an eye on Stylz as well. Their Avantgarde cover (my wife is using it now) was superbly crafted, but just too darn heavy and bulky [tri-fold]. If they come out with a cover like everyone else, they'll be another to watch.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The large sleeve case has a bit less protection than the small one. I have both. The small one has more padding plus the plastic shield for the screen that the large one doesn't.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, patrickb, I did mean the lg.sleeve. I also have the travel bag but notthe sm.slip case. I just feel like it needs a little more padding and stiffness because the K2 is so thin. I don't like the idea of having it in there 'naked'

The K1 measured 7 1/2" tall and Oberon made the K1 cover 8". The K2 is 8" tall so I'm assuming Oberon will make the new covers 8 1/2". (They don't have the new measurement up yet) That should work nicely.

·
Registered
392 Posts
patrickb said:
Actually the small 'SleeveCase' fits the K2 perfectly as well! The K2 is a snug, pretty much perfect fit actually. It provides tons of protection. Since you're calling your case the 'large' slip case, I think you probably mean the SleeveCase. Since my small fits, the large would *definitely* fit. I'm surprised you think it doesn't have much protection though - I think my sleevecase provides quite a bit. I have both the small sleevecase and their travel case.

I'm just waiting right now to see what people think of the Oberon with their K2's before I decide on an M-Edge or another Oberon. I'm going to keep an eye on Stylz as well. Their Avantgarde cover (my wife is using it now) was superbly crafted, but just too darn heavy and bulky [tri-fold]. If they come out with a cover like everyone else, they'll be another to watch.
Lisanr is right - the small one was meant for the Kindle only to be slid in and the large one was designed to hold the Kindle and it's case - therefore the larger doesn't have the plastic shield in it and is less padded/rigid.

FWIW - the K2 in the Amazon cover also fits in the large case just fine - have an oberon on order so will see if that works as well.

Waterfield are awesome cases.....

·
Registered
308 Posts
And they are taking pre-orders for K2 cases. I am thinking of getting the blue slip case. Love the amount of padding these cases provide. Great product.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lisanr said:
And they are taking pre-orders for K2 cases. I am thinking of getting the blue slip case. Love the amount of padding these cases provide. Great product.
Yes, I use the travel case all the time for my Kindle 1 in its M-edge case. Great for going through airport security.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oberon just announced on their website that they are finished with the design stage of the Kindle 2 covers.  I was right - the new measurements are 6" x 8 1/2".  The thickness is not given yet but I suspect the cover will have a lower profile because the Kindle 2 does.  The 8 1/2" case will definitely fit into my Waterfield Large Sleeve and the Travel Bag.  I'm a happy camper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts