Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using ziplock bag to protect Kindle from sand gives me idea. Anyone tried one of those food savers where it sucks out all the air? Wonder if that would help people who want to read K in the bath.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I did the ziploc bag routine (minus the foodsaver) and no, the Kindle/bag combo didn't get steamed up in a hot bath. I wouldn't take it into a sauna, mind you, but there was no issue.

Someone else here recommended this:

Kwik Tek Dry Pak Multi-Purpose Case (Clear 9-Inch x 12-Inch)

Mine came yesterday, haven't had a chance to try it out, but it's very heavy poly with a very solid looking clamp mechanism to keep water out.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I don't think it would be a good idea to suck all the air out.  Not that there would be that much water pressure in the bathtub, but I would be afraid water would leak in where you suck the air out.  A regular heavy-duty Ziploc would be better, I would think.

·
Registered
740 Posts
durphy said:
Using ziplock bag to protect Kindle from sand gives me idea. Anyone tried one of those food savers where it sucks out all the air? Wonder if that would help people who want to read K in the bath.
That might actually work, it'll keep the steam out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
marianner said:
I don't think it would be a good idea to suck all the air out. Not that there would be that much water pressure in the bathtub, but I would be afraid water would leak in where you suck the air out. A regular heavy-duty Ziploc would be better, I would think.
Once you suck the air out, the bag is heatsealed. I might try it, but it seems like a waste of bags to do this over and over.

·
Registered
261 Posts
durphy said:
It might work for a K2 (toggle) but with K1 you need a little 'give' in order to move the scroll thingy. Although, if you already have your book chosen before you suck the air out of it, it could still probably work.

(hmmm - we have one of those somewhere in the cupboard...)

But I don't read much in the tub, mostly because the tub is in the 'boys' bathroom and I try not to go in there if I can help it...

·
Registered
126 Posts
durphy said:
Saw a post somewhere that someone wanted to 'read in the pool' so their solution was to stuff the Kindle into a zip-lock bag, suck out most of the air, grab a snorkel and...read in the pool, at the bottom. The remaining air was so it would be neutrally buoyant.

So, yes, it should work though you will have some glare and reading issues (those buggers tend to be relatively thick).

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
the food savors can be used to seal without pulling out the air. the bag gets smaller and smaller when being reused :) also you do not want to seal moisture in the bag and expose to heat..
sylvia

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
VictoriaP said:
I did the ziploc bag routine (minus the foodsaver) and no, the Kindle/bag combo didn't get steamed up in a hot bath. I wouldn't take it into a sauna, mind you, but there was no issue.

Someone else here recommended this:

Kwik Tek Dry Pak Multi-Purpose Case (Clear 9-Inch x 12-Inch)

Mine came yesterday, haven't had a chance to try it out, but it's very heavy poly with a very solid looking clamp mechanism to keep water out.
This is what I have and it works!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have been eyeing that Kwik Tek... if I go back home to CA this summer, I may get one for beach reading :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
The foodsaver sounds like way too much work, although I bet it would do the job. This is much easier:

I have one that I use when I take my Kindle with me backpacking.

·
Registered
289 Posts
A foodsaver would work, although I would probably just seal the end and not suck out the air.

However, I've found a light-weight quart size Ziploc Bag is a perfect fit and it's reusable (and inexpensive compared to the cost of the foodsaver film).  I keep one under the sink in the master bath.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Don't the foodsaver bags have a diamond pattern on them that would be hard to read through? 

1 - 20 of 27 Posts