Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It may be something I might try at some stage and was just wondered if anyone here is making money on either Wattpad or Radish. If so, I would be interested in any experiences you are prepared to share.

Registered
Hi, Kathy. Its something I'd like to know because I have a story on Wattpad with only 2 or 3 chapters left to write in the next few days to completion. Usually I take them down for publishing via Amazon KDP when complete. But I'm thinking of giving it a go on Wattpad if I can get it accepted. I also have a WIP not posted anywhere I was saving for Vella, but I too have been thinking about using Radish if I could get accepted...

I'm not so sure it's that simple as uploading a full story in one go and it getting into Wattpad's paid program. Most authors have done their time on there, uploading one chapter at a time as they write the story, exchanging reads and commenting on others work, going in for competitions etc. .

For a start, I think you have to be accepted as a Star Member with a completed book, which taking part on the site and your contribution is taken into consideration, besides the book in question. I'm not certain about this, so you should check. Even If accepted into the Wattpad Star Program, it's not certain they will accept it in the paid program. It goes through vetting before acceptance and it not only takes time, but they all don't get accepted.

Again with Radish, you have to submit a thirty page sample for consideration as part of their vetting to be in their paid program, but as you get paid on episodes after the first 3 free ones, it doesn't have to be complete. They recommend 1500 words per chapter/episode.

Basically, they both use vetting to some degree so ensure that poor quality doesn't initially get through. The only difference is that I believe Wattpad edit the full book before going paid. As far as I know you have to be exclusive to Wattpad for the book?.

If you do join Wattpad to have look around, you can find me with a search on @DeclanConner

This an extract from the link below.
Author earning on wattpad
"Today, 'more than 550 writers and 750 stories are part of the program, which now hosts some of the most exciting and beloved stories on Wattpad. Users have spent more than half a billion minutes reading Wattpad Paid Stories, and now average nearly 30 million minutes each month reading stories in the program. Apr 22, 2021"

The program has earned 1 million for the authors over 2 years, so you'll need to do the math to work it out per author on average, or per the number of books available..

Registered
I'm making a ton of money on Radish, but you need to apply. Once you are in, you can post as many books as you want. If you decide to apply, it's best to make your submission as attractive as possible. The more you bring to the table, the better your chances of getting in.

Wattpad is really for free stories only and it's almost impossible to make any money. Wattpad's audience is accustomed to free, and even with their Paid Stories venture, only a select few authors are chosen, and unless you have an in or are willing to kiss up to the powers that be at Wattpad, you have no chance of getting in to Paid Stories. I know several people in their "Stars" program, and at that, only a few have books in Paid Stories. They also demand exclusivity and the royalties are terrible. Radish does not require exclusivity.

Registered
Thanks - could you explain a bit about how their payment system works?
They pay quarterly. A reader pay 3 coins per chapter to read. Each coin is about 2.5 cents to the author. However, because Radish also gives coins away, you don't get paid on "free" coins. Realistically, you receive anywhere from 4-7.5 cents per chapter.

Your books can also be nonexclusive as long as your book aren't offered free anywhere else.

Registered
They pay quarterly. A reader pay 3 coins per chapter to read. Each coin is about 2.5 cents to the author. However, because Radish also gives coins away, you don't get paid on "free" coins. Realistically, you receive anywhere from 4-7.5 cents per chapter.

Your books can also be nonexclusive as long as your book aren't offered free anywhere else.
Hi Mo, thanks for the info.

I'd never heard of Radish until they introduced Vella and kept seeing the name on here. When they announced Vella, I started writing a serial story for when they rolled it out to European authors. I have around 45k words so far. The only thing I had to go on for episode length with Vella was their 600 - 5000 word limits. Anyway, I thought I'd go for somewhere in the middle at an average of 2,500 words per episode for a dystopian thriller instead of my usual chapter length at an average of 1500 words.

Now when I look at the possibility of applying to Radish instead of Vella, I see they say that the sweet spot is 1500 words which makes me think they would reject me for episode length?.

If you don't mind me asking you as someone with experience, what do your episodes average in terms of word count?

Reactions: Lady Runa

Registered
Hi Mo, thanks for the info.

I'd never heard of Radish until they introduced Vella and kept seeing the name on here. When they announced Vella, I started writing a serial story for when they rolled it out to European authors. I have around 45k words so far. The only thing I had to go on for episode length with Vella was their 600 - 5000 word limits. Anyway, I thought I'd go for somewhere in the middle at an average of 2,500 words per episode for a dystopian thriller instead of my usual chapter length at an average of 1500 words.

Now when I look at the possibility of applying to Radish instead of Vella, I see they say that the sweet spot is 1500 words which makes me think they would reject me for episode length?.

If you don't mind me asking you as someone with experience, what do your episodes average in terms of word count?
I don't believe they have a hard episode limit. Radish recommends 1,500 words, but I've often done episodes that up are to 5K words. Normally, I stick between 1,500-2,500 words. Sometimes longer, sometimes a bit shorter.

Registered
Hey Moe, what genre do you write in? And did you have a following before you tried Radish? If no, how long did you write on Radish before you started to see a a good cash flow?

Registered
Hey Moe, what genre do you write in? And did you have a following before you tried Radish? If no, how long did you write on Radish before you started to see a a good cash flow?
I write in contemporary romance. Nothing smutty. If you don't write romance, they are branching out into many other genres.

I had a modest Wattpad following, but that's it. And not many of them translated to Radish. But the good thing about Radish is that they give their writers a ton of promo opportunities.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts