Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My wife and I just published a nonfiction relationship book which we have in KU. A friend mentioned Wattpad as a possible means of promoting it. I wouldn't put more than a sample of the text on Wattpad, of course, due to Amazon's exclusivity rules. But I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with that site, and what your thoughts are.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Things may have changed, but there is no way to be seen in Wattpad, last I dipped my toes over there. Your posts quickly sink into the abyss.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Don't waste your time. People on Wattpad don't buy books. They are on Wattpad to read books for free.

And you will need a massive following, so if you plan to put up a sample only, you will get no traction.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Ditto to the others.  There's not a lot of benefit to dealing with Wattpad.  In general, you have to really be involved and active in Wattpad just to get a small toehold and a bit of an audience.  And all that involvement and activity takes a whole lot of time.  (I'm trying to avoid using the phrase 'time-suck,' but.... that's what it can become.)

And also, yeah, people on Wattpad are looking for FREE reads.  I think a writer would have to be phenomenally popular to build an audience for paid books.

IMO, of course.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Agreed with the previous. I was a staunch contributor there for years and years with multiple books. Even then it was nearly impossible to get pulled out and read. Of course, some Indies came out of there and struck gold because they drew masses of readers, then came the ambulance chasers--Big Publishing and Hollywood. Haven't been in four years. Don't plan on returning. Did the Booksie thing, also--no results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used it and I liked it.  The way I figure;
it doesn't hurt,
it doesn't cost you anything,
and even if just one person sees your sample and are encouraged to buy the book, that's one more person who benefits from your hard work.  :)

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Josette said:
I used it and I liked it. The way I figure;
it doesn't hurt,
and even if just one person sees your sample and are encouraged to buy the book, that's one more person who benefits from your hard work. :)
Actually, it can hurt, because it can train your readers to expect all your work for free.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Josette said:
I used it and I liked it. The way I figure;
it doesn't hurt,
and even if just one person sees your sample and are encouraged to buy the book, that's one more person who benefits from your hard work. :)
ShayneRutherford said:
Actually, it can hurt, because it can train your readers to expect all your work for free.
And again, it can take a LOT of active time on WP to get any measurable type of audience, so the amount of time spent socializing on Wattpad compared to the number of people who (may) respond to your writing... it doesn't seem to me that to be a favorable ratio.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would imagine that to make any kind of popular inroads on WP (today), you would have to spend an exorbitant amount of time reaching out and socializing on a constant basis. Perhaps if it was your sole website for contact and expression, you could eventually build up a friendship/follower base that could lead to some amount of fandom. The readers there are reading and looking for free material that you put out. If you do run excerpts or chapters, I think you have to keep it to around 10% or less, in the case of a full-sized book when you are hitched to Amazon. 

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jena H said:
And again, it can take a LOT of active time on WP to get any measurable type of audience, so the amount of time spent socializing on Wattpad compared to the number of people who (may) respond to your writing... it doesn't seem to me that to be a favorable ratio.
That's what I was thinking. I feel my time would be more profitable elsewhere.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wattpad has recently cannibalized itself. All the former tools to socialize have been removed. No more newsfeed, no more forums. So the entire social aspect of the site is now gone. Finding a way to be seen is now virtually impossible unless Wattpad features you. 

1 - 12 of 12 Posts