Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing that authors are getting book deals left and right from Wattpad? I finally joined and am amazed at how many reads people are getting
on the site.

Has anyone had much luck using Wattpad? Seems like it is a good way to provide a sample and promote your books on Amazon at the same time.

I picked out a random book and this one has 126,652 reads and 256 comments

http://www.wattpad.com/1601472-the-legacy

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Maree Anderson didn't get a book deal, but a Canadian TV production company optioned her book because they discovered it on Wattpad. She says it hasn't translated into any book sales (Wattpad readers seem to just want free content), but she loved the exposure anyway.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have my YA book Static over there.

It has over 700,000 reads on it right now, and I have over 1000 fans

It hasn't translated into sales at all. But get a lot comments from teens that read my book and it makes me feel good that I wrote a book that they absolutely love.

I do have a trad publisher reading the book, knowing of its popularity at Wattpad and the fact that I selfpubbed it.  So hopefully it will translate into a sale. 

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
375 Posts
There is an author who posts a bit on here, Sharlay. She started off on wattpad, and I feel like she's had phenomenal success with it. She has a book on there called Pretend that got millions of hits, and sold over five thousand copies on Amazon the first month she posted it.

I don't know if I can say I've had great success quite yet, but I just started posting a little novella I wrote on there, and I think it's fun to see the reads going up. I also got a couple nice comments, which were fun. It feels like a way to interact with people who like to read. I can't say for sure that it's translated to sales, but in my profile I link to my book on Amazon, and suddenly I started selling a copy a day. Again, I can't say for sure it was that.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whatdanwrote said:
There is an author who posts a bit on here, Sharlay. She started off on wattpad, and I feel like she's had phenomenal success with it. She has a book on there called Pretend that got millions of hits, and sold over five thousand copies on Amazon the first month she posted it.

I don't know if I can say I've had great success quite yet, but I just started posting a little novella I wrote on there, and I think it's fun to see the reads going up. I also got a couple nice comments, which were fun. It feels like a way to interact with people who like to read. I can't say for sure that it's translated to sales, but in my profile I link to my book on Amazon, and suddenly I started selling a copy a day. Again, I can't say for sure it was that.
That's awesome! It seems like Wattpad would be a good testing ground. Write a chapter of a book and see if it takes off or not. If so, then look into writing a full length book.

One idea with your link to Amazon is to link to your own site with some sort of redirection script..and see if that gets traffic or not. Very interesting indeed.

·
Registered
375 Posts
CabanaBooks.com said:
That's awesome! It seems like Wattpad would be a good testing ground. Write a chapter of a book and see if it takes off or not. If so, then look into writing a full length book.

One idea with your link to Amazon is to link to your own site with some sort of redirection script..and see if that gets traffic or not. Very interesting indeed.
Wattpad is also a great place to simply put up sample chapters, which I can't see a downside to doing. I've also seen writers on there who work on their novel, then say, "This will be removed from wattpad on such and such a date," and will only be available on amazon after that. Or they publish it on Amazon with an epilogue, as Sharlay did.

Most of all, I just think it's a really fun site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts