Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved to a house from an apartment over the winter, and the previous owners left us their gas bbq grill. As former city-dwellers, we have no idea how to get this in working order, but as the weather improves, I really want to try to make some burgers!

The grill seems kind of dirty and there seems to be
gross old food
on the rocks underneath the grill. I see that the grill part is removable, so I do just take it off, give it a good scrub and clean out the gunky stuff with some plastic gloves? Can we just use the garden hose and hose it down?

Thanks!

Signed,
New 'burbs dweller

·
Registered
493 Posts
Pick out any large gunky stuff, scour the grill with a wire brush they sell for barbecues, then run it on high to burn off little gunkies on the rocks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Encender Vaquero said:
Pick out any large gunky stuff, scour the grill with a wire brush they sell for barbecues, then run it on high to burn off little gunkies on the rocks.
Thanks!

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Make certain that there are NO (and I repeat, NO) holes in the gas lines.  Like from squirrels or mice chewing.
Cause if there are, you can wind up with a big fireball.

Assuming that the grill is intact, make sure that the openings in the gas "burners" are open and free of rust. Otherwise you will get a very low flame and not much cooking.  Have to check the condition of the burners every year.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
They did leave the gas tank for it didn't they?  If they didn't you will need to get gas for it. :)

Depending upon the condition of it you may want to buy a new one and save yourself all the trouble. ;D

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It depends on how bad of condition the gas grill is in would be whether it is worth the trouble to condition it or buy a new one.

Like EV stated, you can't go wrong with a good scrubbing down with wire brush on high heat. Be sure to close the lid and get that puppy good and hot on the highest heat for at least half an hour, then scrub it down with a wet, wire BBQ brush till it looks decent.

You can always buy new lava rock to line the bottom with if you choose, if not, that wouldn't hurt the grilling if you burn it all off really good.

And one last word of advice....when you throw those rib-eye steaks on the grill, be sure to invite us all over. ;)

Hope this helps,

-sailor

·
Registered
426 Posts
mmmmm.......grilled meat.  How I love thee, let me count the ways :)  I grill year round.  We live in Michigan, so its a challenge to shovel a path through the snow just to get to the grill.  :)  Your post is a good reminder that I need to clean off mine too.

If the grill is in decent shape you should check the gas line for leakage using soapy water.  Put the soapy water on the hoses and hose connections.  When you turn the gas on if it bubbles you'll need to replace it.  Turn gas off, and disconnect the lines.  Then start disassembly.  Take the racks off and clean them.  You can try scrubbing the crap off them, or go my preferred lazy route and use oven cleaner.  Do it outside on newspaper, away from small kids and pets.  And not on your deck.

Take out the rocks and pitch them in the garbage, since they're probably full of old food, grease, mice turds, whatnot.  Go to your local hardware store (since you're in the suburbs now you should be relatively close to one LOL) and buy more.  Or instead of the little lava rocks you can splurge to ceramic (NOT CHARCOAL) briquettes.  They look like charcoal briquettes but they're meant for gas grills.  I have found they cook a little more evenly than the rocks. 

Clean the insides very carefully, since you don't want to damage any gas lines in there.  Check the burner holes and clean them out with a pipecleaner or a sewing needle.  You can clean the outside with mild dishwashing liquid and water.  Rinse well.  Then reassemble.

The only other tips I can think of are to always open the cover of a gas grill when lighting it.  Preheat well, and don't let anyone press the meat down using a spatula while cooking.  Carnivores like me weep a little when someone does that.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Am I ever feeling guilty!  Need to kill my grill for sure.  With health problems popping up and grilling being more acceptable guess I better do it.  We can grill year round here, but getting the tanks refilled is a pain in the --- even more so without a car ARGHHH

Thanks y'all for telling me and others, how to be healthy and safe in cleaning our grills.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If you can take it apart, do it in as many pieces as possible, scrub it a little and use a high pressure hose to get all that grease and coal dust off. 

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:
Speaking of off-topic, where'd they move to that they left their grill behind, Hibbing?
Hey, there's grilling in Hibbing the last two weeks in July and in August, only time it's warm enough!!!
(We were there one year when they delayed the 4th of July parade a week so it would be warm enough to have it.)

Betsy

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'll use these tips. Spring is just around the corner and I gotta get my "Kiss the Cook" apron out!  ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Everyone -

Just wanted to update you that I followed the tips here for cleaning the grill ... well, actually I passed them along to my husband who followed them. It worked perfectly. We did end up getting new grill rocks from home depot so it made the cleanup job a little easier. The line goes directly into the house, so I guess it hooks up to the gas line that is used for the stove. That is probably why the owners left it behind :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts