Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, y'all are good at this stuff.

What dishwashers do you all have that you love. We need a new one, ours is 16 years old, something is leaking and we figured by the time we had a plumber in to fix whatever, we might as well just get a new one.

Recommendations?

Betsy
who discovered last night the basement utility room was flooded and water was dripping from the ceiling.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
I have a 16-year old Kitchen Aide so I know there are lots of new things out there with more bells and whistles, but if I ever have to replace it I will return to this manufacturer.  It still looks new, works great, has settings from quick wash, delicate china, and on to a sterilize setting.  The best recommendation is that after 16 years of heavy use (minimum one cycle a day), it is absolutely silent when running.

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
At Consumer Reports Kenmore/Whirlpool brands tend to get good ratings.

Go for one that has an "Energy Star" label and keep the receipt.  There's a tax deduction available on the VA tax return.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune. I use a Whirlpool and love it. Whirlpool also seems to be the only brand that has the silverware tray in the door, which leaves loads of room for dishes, ergo, less wash cycles. My last two have been Whirlpools. Unfortunately, it is the only brand I don't sell at Home Depot. LOL

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I am reading a Consumer Reports article...

Whirlpool makes Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Gladiator products. They make some of Kenmore (Sears) dishwashers, but not all. Bosch makes some Kenmore dishwashers, too, as does GE.

If you look at Kenmore dishwashers, look at the model number. If the prefix is 110 or 665, then it is manufactured by Whirlpool. If it is 363, it is made by GE. 630 is Bosch.

Whirlpool also makes appliances for IKEA, including dishwashers.

It says that Whirlpool bought Maytag (along with a bunch of other companies) so I would assume that means they make Maytag dishwashers?

My mother has always sworn by KitchenAid. She had a Maytag for awhile but went back to KitchenAid.

We have a GE and it's fine. I had to get this one because GE is the only company that makes a washer that fits under the kitchen sink (I have a very small space for a washer). If I had a choice, I'd get a KitchenAid or Whirlpool, or maybe Kenmore.

My best advice is to get a washer with the extra heating element to heat up the water extra hot.

L

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Have had several brands over the years.
I tend to treat dishwashers and food disposers the same - replace them every so many years as soon as they become noisy.
In 2003 we bought a Kitchen Aid mid range model. Stainless steel drum (which the technicians tell me does nothing different, looks pretty, is sometimes quieter than the plastic) and stainless front. 
I should add that as Ann has pointed out Sears Kenmore models (which are often high-rated) have at least the insides of a Whilpool.  And if you open them up the pump/motor is identical to the one in the Kitchen Aid.
I say this because I just replaced the pump/motor in mine. Not sure what went wrong but it got very noisy and it cost me less to buy a new pump/motor at Tribles and put it in myself than even thinking about a new one.  Cause the baskets tend to cost $200 on almost any model.
Bottom line is that I really like the Kitchen Aid.
But go to any retail online (even Amazon) and read the reviews by current owners.
I did that with the current Kenmore best price model - a little highend, definitely with the same pump/motor as Kitchen Aid.  It has a clean zone that includes the three washing spinners but also 6 sprayers from the back.  The owners reviews almost all said that the sprayers in the back clog up and stop working within a year.  I was surprised at how unanimous the comments were.  And most of them liked the dishwasher.  Just had the same problem within a year.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
FWIW --

Mine's a Kitchen Aid. It came with my house when I bought it 17 years ago. The previous owner kindly pointed out that it had been installed when they had renovated the kitchen ten years before, and that they used it a lot so he didn't think it would last very much longer.

27 years old now, one minor repair about 10 years ago, and works just fine. Starting to get a bit noisier, but not worrisome noises.

When it's time to replace it, as with all my appliances, I'll trust Consumer Reports -- it's never steered me wrong.

Happy shopping!

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, lots of good info!  We love KitchenAid, good to hear the positive comments.  Our current one is KitchenAid and has lasted 16 years.  My husband doesn't like the silverware-in-door models, and since he mostly does the dishes, I'm willing to let him get what he likes.  Quiet is good, too.

Betsy

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
My dishwasher is very noisy and very expensive, my DH is our dishwasher, and has been for the 23+ years we have been married.

Maybe there are skins for dishwashers?  If you mention Leslie getting a KitchenAid mixer maybe you would get a discount?  :D

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
It could be something as simple as a leaky hose needing replaced, if it otherwise works fine I'd probably call the repair man. Unless you just as itching for a reason to get a new one  ;D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I recommend a Bosch (or the one they make for Kenmore) unequivocally!!!

We give our dishwashers industrial usage--I cook for six (used to be nine) and run it three times a day.

--It uses little water, and the corresponding less soap required.
--Everything comes out spotless
--There is no heating element so nothing melts
--It is QUIET!!!

We have an open floor plan, where the television is less than ten feet from the kitchen. We used to be in the habit of waiting till bedtime to turn on the DW if we were going to watch anything on TV, since we couldn't hear some of the dialog. Well, no more! You have to literally be right next to it to even tell it is running.

The GardenWeb forums were very helpful to me as I was doing my research, about a year ago: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/appl/

This is the best dishwasher I have ever used, and I've been a mom for 27 years! :D
I love my Bosch!

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rasputina said:
It could be something as simple as a leaky hose needing replaced, if it otherwise works fine I'd probably call the repair man. Unless you just as itching for a reason to get a new one ;D
My husband and I have been batting this around. Given the age of the dishwasher, we're thinking we'd be better off applying the repair cost to a new machine.....but we're still thinking.

Anju No. 469 said:
My dishwasher is very noisy and very expensive, my DH is our dishwasher, and has been for the 23+ years we have been married.

Maybe there are skins for dishwashers? If you mention Leslie getting a KitchenAid mixer maybe you would get a discount? :D
My hubby is my dishwasher too, and if he wants a tool to help him, I'm all for it, LOL! I'll look into the skins!

Marine Mom, thanks for the recommendation and the tip, and welcome to KindleBoards, I don't remember talking with you before!

Betsy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Marine Mom, thanks for the recommendation and the tip, and welcome to KindleBoards, I don't remember talking with you before!

Betsy
Thanks! Yeah, I've been mostly a lurker, hanging out a little in the accessories board and picking up tips and info here and there, not often having anything to contribute. I have also made a couple of trades on the Barter/Sell board as well.
Couldn't resist chiming in here about the dishwasher here though. I feel about my Bosch the way some here feel about their Oberons. ;D When something works exactly as it should it's a beautiful thing! Just wanted to pass it along...

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I just bought a new one last week, it wasn't in stock so I haven't picked it up yet.... It's the same one my father just installed for himself, he likes it a lot, and it is very quiet. It was on sale for $540 last week.

Right now I have an 11 year old KitchenAid. It has flat buttons on the front panel, and they don't want to work much any more. I have to slam the door shut a few times before the button I want will turn on. :-\

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am not particular about name brands and tend to go by features. Before I moved to Vermont, I had a house with a dishwasher and the one feature I thought I would NEVER use and that I now would insist on is a delay cycle. When I had a house, I also had a teenage son who stood under the shower in the morning until the water ran cold. But once I discovered the delay cycle, I would load the machine and set it to wash at about 2 am when there was lots of hot water!

patrisha

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have a Kenmore, several years old and I don't know who manufactured it. But it's very quiet, and it has nylon racks. The advantage of those is that they do not have a metal interior with a plastic coating that can get scratched and cut, allowing the metal interior to rust and break. They are the same material all the way through. So I would definitely recommend looking for nylon racks (they are gray rather than white), as the interior of our dishwasher looks absolutely new.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I had a Whirlpool back in Houston and thought it was pretty good, but the GE Profile that our builder put in the new house is absolutely the best dishwasher I have ever had. After a couple of washes, my plates and glasses look brand new! I realize the water has something to do with that, but I don't have to pre-wash the dishes like I did before and it is so quiet that you can barely tell it is running.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thanks for the Bosch suggestion.
    We have a Maytag with push pad buttons. The hold button (you have to push for several seconds to keep the children from being able to change the settings), tore ages ago. Also the electronic "board" (??) that controls the  push pad panel had to be replaced. It won't start unless I stick a table knife in the top of the door. It is not very quiet.
Kdawna

1 - 20 of 43 Posts