Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble connecting to the Internet....but not to Kindle, interestingly.

When I type in an address and click the 5-way, the Kindle mulls it over for awhile, and about 85% of the time comes back with the following message:

"The website you requested is not responding.  Please try again later."

I have tried holding my Kindle in different positions...kind of adjusting the antenna, if you will.  This only rarely seems to help.

Per Windwalker's suggestion in his User's guide, I have gone into the advanced mode and set my browser to enable Javascript and disable images.

When I go to the home page and select menu, I see that I am not getting the 3G where I am at...I have the 1X designation.  Nevertheless, I see 5 bars of signal strength indicated.

Any ideas here?  If it was just one website, I'd think the site was down.  But this is happening for multiple sites...except for Amazon's Kindle page. 

As an aside, it is interesting that I was trying to go to some of the sites that will allow me to download Kindle content other than Amazon.  Wonder if Jeff Bezos has his units wired so as to prevent this... ;)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Wow it still show five bars? I don't know if this might help but here:
My general rules when it comes to using the kindle's web broswer:
-Stick to Mobile sites.
-Avoid picture heavy sites. (but you already disabled images)

Have you tried accessing the same sites in areas with a different or stronger signal strength to see if its the site?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've had three originals, and one K2, and I've never had a satisfactory experience on the internet.  I do live in Malibu, where internet coverage is spotty, but I've tried it other places too - my device almost always freezes up and that's IF I can access a website.

More often than not I get the same message you do - "The website you requested is not responding.  Please try again later."

And I've adjusted my settings as you describe as well.

You are not alone!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the same issue. I've tried in areas with strong 3G connection and I don't think that is the problem. I theorize that Amazon is dropping packets for websites that aren't on its approved list because those sites work all the time.

I think we should get a discussion going here of everybody's experiences with web browsing to see if a pattern develops.
I've noticed that I can usually get a connection AFTER I connect to one of Amazon's "approved" sites.

Here's the test:
Access your website, i.e. gmail, twitter, etc.
If it fails, access an approved Amazon site.
Try to access your site again.

What happens for you?

ok, scratch that - I just tried again and can't get any site to connect!  :mad:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Still trying to get some clues as to the problem. The last time I tried, I couldn't access Amazon or any site. So then I rebooted the machined (with the 15 second power switch trick). After that, I was able to bring up amazon and then shortly after that, gMail.
I don't know if this was coincidental. I tried about 15 times to reload the amazon page without luck before rebooting.

So this is another experiment for people to try and post results so we can gather some data. If you can't access the web, reboot the Kindle and try again. does this make a difference?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a K1 and a K2.  I've occasionally had connection problems with the K1, though not so far with the K2. My personal thought is that it's been a local Whispernet/Sprint issue because when I try later, it works fine.  I access a pretty wide variety of sites.  Mobile sites by far work best.  BTW...if you visit particular sites a lot, remember to bookmark them...menu, bookmark this page (K2).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.