Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else finding the basic web browser...................mediocre at best?  It's a great idea in theory but with the 5 way toggle and various website layouts it isn't very user friendly.....JMO But I still LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle 2

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sure slow, and can't access alot of web pages, but it does in a pinch. I've found that going to http://catoni.mobi/ helps - has a listing of mobile websites that the Kindle can handle much easier, sorting them by category.

IMHO, the web browser feature is just another "perk" on this marvelous Kindle!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Remember that 'default' web settings are fastest.

They won't do 'javascript' though, which can be done only by choosing
'Advanced'  and javascript, however this might be done for the K2.

On the K1  I use Default for quickest loads - and they come in with no special website formatting.

Using Advanced, I then tend to get a full webpage that looks as I see it on the computer but then the words will be really tiny.  For that, I use a magnifying glass  :) or I choose Default instead.

I 'disable images' to get a faster load of course but sometimes I like to see them so I enable them.
Some of this is done through basic web Settings menu in the K1.

Enabling images will always mean a much slower load.  I use it outside at stores to get reviews on products I'm thinking of buying and I always disable images for that.  I just google the maker and the model number and add the word 'review' ...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, the web browser is very basic, and really not ideal for most web browsing. I only use it to look up items on Wikipedia that strike my interest as I'm reading on my Kindle, or to download public domain kindle books directly onto my Kindle. Otherwise, if I need to look up a web page  or check my e-mail when I'm out and about, I use my iPhone, not my Kindle.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
yeah, I don't think it's quiet designed for your everyday surfing.

·
Registered
501 Posts
V said:
Actually, to get to Cantoni Mobile Websites with your Kindle, you just type in, as I said, "http://catoni.mobi/" (without the quotes, of course, and NO ".com" - this doesn't work on your PC, where your standard browser won't recognize this URL) and you're brought to a screen of "Mobile Sites" with a list of 10 categories (business, entertainment, information, news, portal, search, shopping, sports, technology and travel) ---> then several mobile sites within each category.

If you don't have a smart phone or laptop handy, it works pretty well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts