Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just now for the first time tried out the web browsing.... and it sucks!.... but not really, not if you choose your websites carefully.

The secret is to choose "mobile" websites. Most major websites have a "mobile" version, for poor souls who have to use, say, a Palm Treo (like my husband) instead of the (superior) iPhone.

Let's use the Chicago Tribune as an example. If you have your Kindle handy, do play along:

Go to the web browser: From Kindle Home -> Menu -> Experimental -> Basic Web. At the top is a URL box, click on that. In the little pop-up, type chicagotribune.com and click submit. View the abysmalness. The first ten pages are all of the categories on the left side of the website as you would view it normally in a proper web browser. You literally have to click the next page button 10-12 times to get past it to the headlines.

Move your clickwheel back to the top of the page and click the URL box again. This time, type mobile.chicagotribune.com in the pop-up box. The resulting page may not be gorgeous, but it is at least readable, with all of the headlines immediately displayed. You'll find a lot of this more... stuff going on, where you have to click on that to get the rest of the headlines.

Mobile reading is not elegant. However, once you get to an article you want to read, the formatting is nice and clear.

The same strategy should be used for mobile email. I use Yahoo, and it simply doesn't work unless you use the mobile website. You need to use mobile.yahoo.com. And then it's a nightmare to navigate, but at least it still works. For Google (gmail) the correct address is m.gmail.com. For gmail, you need to have Javascript enabled in your Kindle browser settings. From the browser, use the scrollwheel to click Menu -> Settings - Javascript (enable).

I

·
0 Posts
What does a forum like this look like on Kindle?  I don't have mine yet or I'd just look myself.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Vampyre said:
What does a forum like this look like on Kindle? I don't have mine yet or I'd just look myself.
Not so great. Better to use your iPhone when you are on the road.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dori said:
Don't you have to pay air time to do the web stuff?
Not at all, which is likely why the price of the unit is still so high. Somebody has to pay for all that airtime.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Thanks a bunch for this discussion.  I had not tried the web browsing thing.  Have  been playing around and got my hometown newspaper, mobile version and also my fav local tv station.  I bookmarked them and now they show on the list of sites Kindle already had on it. :-*

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Vampyre said:
What does a forum like this look like on Kindle? I don't have mine yet or I'd just look myself.
Leslie said:
Not so great. Better to use your iPhone when you are on the road.
Leslie, I don't have iPhone, I have a WindowsMobile SmartPhone and use web browsing on it quite often and some websites are easier to read than others. Have you tried to access the KindleBoards from your iPhone yet?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Angela said:
Leslie, I don't have iPhone, I have a WindowsMobile SmartPhone and use web browsing on it quite often and some websites are easier to read than others. Have you tried to access the KindleBoards from your iPhone yet?
I have and it works okay. Better than that screenshot I posted below!

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Angela said:
Leslie, I don't have iPhone, I have a WindowsMobile SmartPhone and use web browsing on it quite often and some websites are easier to read than others.
The ones that work best with your smartphone are mobile websites.... Most newspapers have versions, as well as Google & Yahoo.

For example:
http://mobile.chicagotribune.com/

Yahoo has a nice setup page for mobile devices that are tailored to your device:
http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobilehome

·
Registered
79 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Not at all, which is likely why the price of the unit is still so high. Somebody has to pay for all that airtime.
Except that the price of the Kindle is not high. Compare it to other ereaders. It's right in the middle even though most don't have any kind of wireless connection. It's less than the new Sony but more than the old Sony.

It would be hard for them to charge for internet access since the user experience is so poor. I certainly could be wrong but I doubt many would pay for it. The real reason for the connection is to make it super easy to make purchases. That's how they pay for it. ;)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheJohnNewton said:
Except that the price of the Kindle is not high. Compare it to other ereaders.
I still think it's high, other e-reads notwithstanding. It is an elastic product, not something people need. In two years it will likely be in the $200 range. Until it goes below $200, I don't think you will get a huge number of adopters. Unfortunately, Amazon will not give up its sales figures, but I would estimate by the number of reviews that they have likely sold 10,000-12,000.

When the first iPod came out, I believe it was in the $500 range. Now you can get a unit far smaller with much more power for under $200. That's what putting an iPod in every pocket. Look at the iPhone as well. In the first nine months I believe they sold ~7 million units. They sold almost the same number last quarter.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm having doubts about the web...first time on I crashed and Kindle Froze. Good thing I remembered the 'unfreeze' tip and got it back up and working again. That was my first day on it, talk about having low self esteem for electronics after that one. LOL

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
The Kindle isn't REALLY a browser, of course.  Ahe Basic Web function is really just so we can download books and check out Wikipedia.  I've pretty much decided it's not much use for anything else.  However, if you use the 'mobile' versions of the sites it will work better -- they're mostly text without all the pictures and moving stuff.  Not all sites have mobile versions but some do. .  . .I don't know how to find out which, though.  Maybe someone else does?

Ann

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ann Von Hagel said:
Not all sites have mobile versions but some do. . . .I don't know how to find out which, though. Maybe someone else does?
I've found that just googling works well... Like googling yahoo mobile or chicago tribune mobile.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
When I looked up local newspaper it asked if I wanted mobile version.

When I looked my tv station it went to 14 wfie TO GO  and didn't ask.

Both worked fine and I was able to see the local radar etc.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I still think it's high, other e-reads notwithstanding. It is an elastic product, not something people need. In two years it will likely be in the $200 range. Until it goes below $200, I don't think you will get a huge number of adopters. Unfortunately, Amazon will not give up its sales figures, but I would estimate by the number of reviews that they have likely sold 10,000-12,000.
Actually, there are over 5400 reviews on Amazon right now. My rule of thumb is 10% of adopters will take the time and energy to write a review. If we eliminate the 1 star reviews (angry non-adopters) that would translate into 500,000 Kindles out there. One analyst estimated 380,000 sold by the end of this year. I bet that number is somewhat accurate. Even if you go with the low estimate of 240,000 (which I read somewhere else) it is still way more than 10,000.

When the first iPod came out, I believe it was in the $500 range. Now you can get a unit far smaller with much more power for under $200. That's what putting an iPod in every pocket. Look at the iPhone as well. In the first nine months I believe they sold ~7 million units. They sold almost the same number last quarter.
Actually, the 1st-gen iPod cost $360. I bought two for my kids for Christmas that year (yikes!). They both died 13 months later. I was annoyed about that!

L

·
Registered
79 Posts
Leslie said:
Actually, there are over 5400 reviews on Amazon right now. My rule of thumb is 10% of adopters will take the time and energy to write a review. If we eliminate the 1 star reviews (angry non-adopters) that would translate into 500,000 Kindles out there.
Leslie, you might want to check your math ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
pidgeon92,

You stated you though the price was high to cover the wireless charges.  If that were true then it would need to be higher than similar ereaders that don't have wireless but it is not.  It's simply the going rate for an ereader these days.  If you think the price is high in absolute terms that is fine but has nothign to do with how they pay for the wireless charges. 

BTW, The user agreement does state that they have the right to charge for wireless access in the future if they want to but as I speculated above I doubt many would be that interested in paying for it given the limitations of the current screen.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
TheJohnNewton said:
Leslie, you might want to check your math ;)
I was never good at math in my head. Okay, so that makes my point even more emphatically (I think). 5400 hundred reviews would be only 1% of owners. So maybe there are are really 5,400,000 owners out there.

Whatever. 10,000 seems like an incredibly low (and not realistic) guess.

L

·
Registered
79 Posts
;D

By your rule of thumb and numbers, 5,000ish reviews, 10% of owners leave a review, that would make YOUR estimate 50,000 Kindles.

I really have no idea what the real number is, and haven't put much time into speculation on it (really why would I or the average user care?), but I have seen some numbers on how many screens the supplier has made along with how many Sony buys vs. Amazon vs. others and based on all that (who knows how accurate it is? I read it on the web, lol) a reasonable estimate would seem to be in the couple hundred thousand range give or take a hundred thousand.  Is that anywhere close to accurate?  I have no idea.

What seems to be a more reliable number is the percentage of books that Amazon sells that are Kindle versions (when a Kindle version of a book is available) vs. paper versions.  That number was given out by Amazon recently.  I don't want to state a number because I'm not sure but I think it was in their financial reports if you want to look it up.  Bezos had stated the same statistic a while back and the newer number had grown nicely.  Publishers will take notice of that number more than how many Kindles are sold.  After all they sell books not Kindles.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts