Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone here is so talented at marketing themselves.  How did you all create your websites?  Can you give me a few pointers?  I tried to do it myself at google and I don't know what in the world I succeeded in doing instead.  Also, are websites and blogs a must for a writer?  My sales have been sluggish and maybe that's the reason.  I have a twitter account and I do comment once in a while.  I'm also on facebook but not (the author's face book).  I was a failure at creating that too.  When I embarked on this venture, I had no idea the work that laid ahead of me.  I thought writing the book would be my biggest challenge but I'm beginning to doubt it now.  Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I responded in a similar post....

I suggest Wordpress.  Some may argue that Blogspot is better but I loe Wordpress.  It's sooo easy to set your blog up and it allows users a variety of ways to kee in touch with their audience.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Beatrice Brusic said:
Everyone here is so talented at marketing themselves. How did you all create your websites? Can you give me a few pointers? I tried to do it myself at google and I don't know what in the world I succeeded in doing instead. Also, are websites and blogs a must for a writer? My sales have been sluggish and maybe that's the reason. I have a twitter account and I do comment once in a while. I'm also on facebook but not (the author's face book). I was a failure at creating that too. When I embarked on this venture, I had no idea the work that laid ahead of me. I thought writing the book would be my biggest challenge but I'm beginning to doubt it now. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.
I'm not sure what you're looking for here. What do you mean by failure? Do you mean that your page doesn't work or that you don't get any hits? Are you looking for a step-by-step process of how to set up a blog or do you want advice on how to grow a readership?

If you're looking for a walk-through of how to set up your blog, I'll be honest, Google has done that already and this isn't really the venue. Look through their FAQs and help files. Blogger is very easy to use and has great documentation. You won't find anything easier than that. You could also just Google "how to set up a blogger site" and I'm sure there are millions of links about it.

If you're after more hits, it really depends on how you want to get those hits. You can drive traffic to your site by putting search engine grabbing words in all your titles, or you can do it by posting interesting articles your readers might want to read about, your choice. What should you write about? Only you know. Your dog, your garden, your love of gnomes, whatever you feel like writing about. People reading your blog are there to read about you. I honestly don't understand all the blog angst around here. What do you like to talk about? Start a conversation.

There's a few posts here where you can trade follows with other author blogs. I recommend that, it's a fun away to learn about your peers.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coral said:
I'm not sure what you're looking for here. What do you mean by failure? Do you mean that your page doesn't work or that you don't get any hits? Are you looking for a step-by-step process of how to set up a blog or do you want advice on how to grow a readership?

If you're looking for a walk-through of how to set up your blog, I'll be honest, Google has done that already and this isn't really the venue. Look through their FAQs and help files. Blogger is very easy to use and has great documentation. You won't find anything easier than that. You could also just Google "how to set up a blogger site" and I'm sure there are millions of links about it.

If you're after more hits, it really depends on how you want to get those hits. You can drive traffic to your site by putting search engine grabbing words in all your titles, or you can do it by posting interesting articles your readers might want to read about, your choice. What should you write about? Only you know. Your dog, your garden, your love of gnomes, whatever you feel like writing about. People reading your blog are there to read about you. I honestly don't understand all the blog angst around here. What do you like to talk about? Start a conversation.

There's a few posts here where you can trade follows with other author blogs. I recommend that, it's a fun away to learn about your peers.
Thank you. i meant my page doesn't work. I'll do what you say and redo it. I'll also find out how to delete the one I have. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ah, yes -- it's the dirty secret no one tells writers: the marketing part is just as hard as the drafting part. I do a lot of marketing in my day job, and what I often tell clients is to focus on one thing first and get really good and comfortable with that. Then add something else to the mix. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Since you already have a Twitter account, perhaps start with that. I recommend subscribing to All Twitter (you can subscribe via email...you'll receive a daily digest of Twitter news, including tips on how to use Twitter...there are lots of articles on how to maximize the experience, what the lingo means, etc): http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/ Spend 30 minutes or an hour a day learning about Twitter, finding interesting people to follow (search on Twitter threads here for starters), and listen and take part in conversations. Do this for a week or two (or however long) until it becomes second nature and you feel comfortable. Then add a new marketing task.

I will say that I do think some sort of website presence is critical: it could be a blog or a website or a website with a blog attached, but my thought is you need at least one of those things. Think of it like your virtual store...the place where people can walk in and learn more about you and can experience your voice. A blog is probably the easiest way to get started -- as some of the posters above mentioned, Blogger and WordPress are fairly user friendly. I also like Alain's advice above (or it might have been in another thread -- I'm bouncing around) about offering something of value to readers, like reviews. Finding a theme -- or themes -- can help inspire you what to write. Maybe on Fridays you review indie books. Maybe Mondays you talk about books on the big screen (e.g. Movie Monday). You get the idea. Find what you're passionate about and write about it. And don't forget to cross promote (i.e. tweeting your blog posts). Here are some blogging resources:
http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/6240/How-to-Create-a-Successful-Business-Blog-in-Minutes.aspx
http://www.hubspot.com/ebooks/better-business-blogging-in-2011/

As for Facebook, I'm a HUGE fan, but setting up a page the right way can be overwhelming at first. My biggest recommendation would be to follow brands/people/authors you like on FB and see what they do well...or what they don't do well. Another great resource that will help you get familiar with Facebook and pages that are doing a good job is All Facebook: http://www.allfacebook.com/

Okay...I'll stop now. :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RobynB said:
Ah, yes -- it's the dirty secret no one tells writers: the marketing part is just as hard as the drafting part. I do a lot of marketing in my day job, and what I often tell clients is to focus on one thing first and get really good and comfortable with that. Then add something else to the mix. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Since you already have a Twitter account, perhaps start with that. I recommend subscribing to All Twitter (you can subscribe via email...you'll receive a daily digest of Twitter news, including tips on how to use Twitter...there are lots of articles on how to maximize the experience, what the lingo means, etc): http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/ Spend 30 minutes or an hour a day learning about Twitter, finding interesting people to follow (search on Twitter threads here for starters), and listen and take part in conversations. Do this for a week or two (or however long) until it becomes second nature and you feel comfortable. Then add a new marketing task.

I will say that I do think some sort of website presence is critical: it could be a blog or a website or a website with a blog attached, but my thought is you need at least one of those things. Think of it like your virtual store...the place where people can walk in and learn more about you and can experience your voice. A blog is probably the easiest way to get started -- as some of the posters above mentioned, Blogger and WordPress are fairly user friendly. I also like Alain's advice above (or it might have been in another thread -- I'm bouncing around) about offering something of value to readers, like reviews. Finding a theme -- or themes -- can help inspire you what to write. Maybe on Fridays you review indie books. Maybe Mondays you talk about books on the big screen (e.g. Movie Monday). You get the idea. Find what you're passionate about and write about it. And don't forget to cross promote (i.e. tweeting your blog posts). Here are some blogging resources:
http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/6240/How-to-Create-a-Successful-Business-Blog-in-Minutes.aspx
http://www.hubspot.com/ebooks/better-business-blogging-in-2011/

As for Facebook, I'm a HUGE fan, but setting up a page the right way can be overwhelming at first. My biggest recommendation would be to follow brands/people/authors you like on FB and see what they do well...or what they don't do well. Another great resource that will help you get familiar with Facebook and pages that are doing a good job is All Facebook: http://www.allfacebook.com/

Okay...I'll stop now. :)
Thanks a lot for your generous help. I'm not selling any books on Kindleboards but I'm sure getting a lot of help. Navigating this new ocean is a hard thing and people like you make it easier for the novices like me. Once again, thanks a lot. I will start with a blog. I do get a lot of comments to my twitts and I'm adding those people as friends on facebook. It can't hurt, can it?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts