Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: just spent a very frustrating 20 minutes with kindle support (women did not listen and her only solution is a hard rebook of the kindle). As my problem isn't with the Kindle--its with the priority ranking of which Kindle the content is sent to from the website--I hope that someone here might have the answer.  My older kindle is now the kids..and is old enough that the transfer has to occur via USB.  When I order on the website, my account defaults to this older kindle.  If I dont notice it, it gets sent to pending delivery and does not get sent to my fire.  Does anyone  know how to change the priority on the website so the default is the fire rather than my old kindle? 

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Dayfrost said:
My older kindle is now the kids..and is old enough that the transfer has to occur via USB.
I don't understand - none of the Kindles from any generation required transfer via USB, they've all supported wifi. Unless, of course, you don't have wifi? But that has nothing to do with the age of the Kindle - Amazon currently still make wifi-only Kindles which you would have the same problem with.

When I order on the website, my account defaults to this older kindle. If I dont notice it, it gets sent to pending delivery and does not get sent to my fire. Does anyone know how to change the priority on the website so the default is the fire rather than my old kindle?
Go to "Manage Your Kindle" on the website and then "Manage Your Devices" - I believe the default device is the one which comes first alphabetically so you just need to change the name of the Kindle you want to be the default to something that comes first alphabetically. Alternatively, when you buy a book from the website, there should be a drop down menu that allows you to select which device to send it to.

·
Super Moderator
67,442 Posts
history_lover said:
I don't understand - none of the Kindles from any generation required transfer via USB, they've all supported wifi. Unless, of course, you don't have wifi? But that has nothing to do with the age of the Kindle - Amazon currently still make wifi-only Kindles which you would have the same problem with.
Not exactly -- the first generation or two of kindles were 3G only. Still wireless, but dependent upon the cell network. If the signal wasn't strong enough, many people found it easier to transfer purchased books via USB. Also, early generations were not sold outside the US, but people were sometimes able to acquire them. The 3G wireless definitely didn't work in that case.

But, it is the case that kindles since the K3 (currently "keyboard") model have shipped with WiFi so should be wireless as long as there's a network. Which one can, of course, set up in one's home with an inexpensive router and broadband internet access. :)

I can also imagine that the 3G has stopped working on an older device, that is otherwise just fine for kids ::), thus requiring USB transfer.

Go to "Manage Your Kindle" on the website and then "Manage Your Devices" - I believe the default device is the one which comes first alphabetically so you just need to change the name of the Kindle you want to be the default to something that comes first alphabetically. Alternatively, when you buy a book from the website, there should be a drop down menu that allows you to select which device to send it to.
Yes! The default is not necessarily the OLDEST kindle on the account, but the one with the first name alphabetically. If you've left them all as "Dayfrost's 1st (2nd, 3rd, etc.) kindle, then, yes, the oldest one will also be the 1st one alphabetically.

That's why a lot of us give our kindle other names. And if you want a kindle named, say "Zeus", to be the default before "Athena" and "Hercules", just rename "Zeus" to "*Zeus" or something.

NOTE, however, that on book pages, on the drop down for purchase, eInk kindles default to be listing first followed by all other devices, including Fires. So even if you have a Fire named "Aardvark", it will always be listed after any eInk device. If you want the default to be a non-eInk device, I don't think you can make that happen. So you just have to remember to change it. :-\

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
If you want the default to be a non-eInk device, I don't think you can make that happen. So you just have to remember to change it. :-\
...and Dayfrost did mention that his new Kindle is a Fire...

Dayfrost said:
Does anyone know how to change the priority on the website so the default is the fire rather than my old kindle?
Which sadly means that there isn't anything you can do about it.

Dayfrost, you might want to fire an email to the kindle feedback email address ([email protected]). It's just possible that if enough people have complained they may change this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts