Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set up a new promo. site for authors to list their bargain books (books < $1). The way it works is an author fills out a form with his/her name, book name, short desc. , long desc, category, sub category, link to amazon (opt.), link to free download (opt), link to sample (opt).

You can see the form at:
http://america.library4history.org/bbsunform.html

The data goes into a database which will accumulate it for a week, on Sunday the data will go live on a page where readers can view the data and click on the links etc.

You can see a preview of how the data will display at:
http://america.library4history.org/Weekly-Book-Bargains-Preview.html

I want this to be a site where readers can come each week and see a new list of bargain books. The list will display for a week and while week 1 books are displaying, authors can upload books for week 2. Each book should only be listed no more than once every 30 days so the display has all new books each week.

This is a beta test but the data should be saved so it should all be there on next Sunday if all goes well.

A few points.

1. The 'site' is just a couple pages on my america.library4hisory site but I will make a new site (probably weekly-book-bargains.library4science.com if there is enough interest.

2. The display of the long description is just a html rollover but I will change that to a nice javascripted box as time permits.

3. The design is plain html at the moment but I will get my designer to make an attractive page if I get enough interest to justify the cost.

4. The current sort is by category but this could be enhanced to allow other sorts eg. free only, cat + subcat etc.

5. There is only one space for an Amazon link at the moment but I might add support for multiple links (ie for UK, DE etc.) later.

Please try it out and post some feedback here so I can judge the interest.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think that perhaps the reason there hasn't been a ton of interest in this is because we're not too clear on the stats of your site at the moment. You say you'll make a new site if there's interest, and that's cool, but I'm not too clear on what kind of site you're running right now.

Is this a site that gets a lot of traffic? Is it one that reaches out to readers of all genres or Kindle users? Would the book list get Twitter or Facebook exposure? The main site appears to be, generally, about history (which makes sense when looking at your books!). But you see why someone like me who writes paranormal fiction would wonder if this is worth the time or not. The site doesn't seem to be aimed at my audience.

So, I suppose what I'm asking is what kind of exposure would a writer be getting if a writer were to submit a book? :) I'm definitely interested, but I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JRainey said:
I think that perhaps the reason there hasn't been a ton of interest in this is because we're not too clear on the stats of your site at the moment. You say you'll make a new site if there's interest, and that's cool, but I'm not too clear on what kind of site you're running right now.

Is this a site that gets a lot of traffic? Is it one that reaches out to readers of all genres or Kindle users? Would the book list get Twitter or Facebook exposure? The main site appears to be, generally, about history (which makes sense when looking at your books!). But you see why someone like me who writes paranormal fiction would wonder if this is worth the time or not. The site doesn't seem to be aimed at my audience.

So, I suppose what I'm asking is what kind of exposure would a writer be getting if a writer were to submit a book? :) I'm definitely interested, but I'm just wondering.
Excellent that is what I was looking for. I did plan on moving it a bit later but you are correct that it is confusing so I have just registered weekly-book-bargains.com and .org. I will set up the name servers today and they should propagate in 24 hours then I will build a new site for it.

The new site won't have much traffic at first but I am guaranteeing 5 sales from the site and I will put up a banner ad on my chromatography site which gets 2500 visits a day so may get a few sales from that.

I am hoping that everyone who enters a book will friend and tweet that the book is on the site, which will be to everyones advantage, and I am pretty good at SEO, I've just done the basics and I am number two on Google for Weekly Book Bargains :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts