Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking behavior of the Kindle . . .not the human Kindler.

So, I see the thread about Benjamin Button and decide, hey, I'll check that out.  Got on Amazon and saw that it was by Fitzgerald (which I don't believe anyone ever mentioned, shame on you all:)) and went to the guide I have on my Kindle to try to download from Feedbooks.  Well, my guide was outdated so I tried to update it.  Couldn't.  Hmmm.  Tried again.  Couoldn't because I already had it.  Huh?  Sure enough went to the home page and there it was -- along with the older version I'd originally tried to update from.  So I tried to use it to find BB and it got stuck.  Could go back to the home page but it still would open.  Hmm.  Reset!!

O.K.  so used content manager to delete all versions of the guide and tried to re-download it.  Seemed to.  But then, again wouldn't open.  So I figure the guide's corrupted, went to the website via my computer and found the book and sent it to Kindle that way.  Then said to myself, "Self, it's about time you read today's paper."  But It Wouldn't Open!!!  Ohhhhh NOOOO.  Mr. Bill!!!  :eek:

Did not panic.  Reset. and everything is fine.  Whew!

But that's not the weird part.

While I was playing around with the Basic web doing all sorts of whispernet stuff, the power indicator went down one click.  Not surprising.  But when I reset it, it went back up to full!!!!  After a little while reading it went down a click again. . . .but it does make me realize that the guage is very approximate. 

Just wanted to share.  :)

Ann

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
While I was playing around with the Basic web doing all sorts of whispernet stuff, the power indicator went down one click. Not surprising. But when I reset it, it went back up to full!!!! After a little while reading it went down a click again. . . .but it does make me realize that the guage is very approximate.
Yeah, I've seen that once or twice, where the battery meter actually goes back up. Actually, I think the last time might have been after I had to do a reset, too.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Well, my guide was outdated so I tried to update it. Couldn't. Hmmm. Tried again. Couoldn't because I already had it. Huh? Sure enough went to the home page and there it was -- along with the older version I'd originally tried to update from.
I've had that happen too. Haven't seen the battery do that, but I did end up with the battery symbol on my screen saver - nothing else - just the picture and the battery symbol. So I deleted them and started over.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
So I get the moron of the week award! Since I was the one who mentioned The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and never mentioned that he author was Francis Scott Fitzgerald. But I get an even bigger dope slap since it never dawned on me that Francis Scott is more commonly known as F. Scott.

Duh!!

Too much turkey fogging my brain, I guess.

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
So I get the moron of the week award! Since I was the one who mentioned The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and never mentioned that he author was Francis Scott Fitzgerald. But I get an even bigger dope slap since it never dawned on me that Francis Scott is more commonly known as F. Scott.

Duh!!

Too much turkey fogging my brain, I guess.

L
Too much Hugh Jackman fogging your brain. ::)

Betsy

·
Registered
268 Posts
Whenever I have really low reception, my basic web goes wonky and freezes a lot. It's mucho annoying. Requires multiple resettings.

I

·
0 Posts
Even though you had all that trouble, the story was worth it.  I liked it a lot.  I'm looking forward to the movie.  :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
For some reason I cannot connect to feedbooks.com at all... page not available... so I just downloaded a cheaply priced copy from Amazon that contains about 10 additional FSG short stories.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one about Jinx's weirdness...

I 1-clicked a few books today and while I was waiting on the latest to download Jinx froze. So I plugged him in, tried to put him to sleep, soft reset...nada. I finally took him out of the cover and hesitated to do a hard reset...a) my coated paperclip wouldn't fit into the hole, b) I'm figuring that I'll lose all the samples that I have (don't ask how many), c) if I lost said samples, I'd save a whole boat load of $$$ on the books that I was interested in but can't remember which ones they were!

Ok, relax...take a deep breath and release...my samples are still there :p Phew!

·
Registered
339 Posts
This probably qualifies as weird user behavior, but...I opened my cover the other day to start reading and there was nothing on the screen. No screen saver, *nothing*.  My heart sank to my toes as I realized that I had let some friends look at Avalon earlier in the day.  As I was trying to conceive of what could have happened, I realize one of my friends switched the power button to off.  Phew!  But boy did I feel a little silly!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
BambiB said:
This probably qualifies as weird user behavior, but...I opened my cover the other day to start reading and there was nothing on the screen. No screen saver, *nothing*. My heart sank to my toes as I realized that I had let some friends look at Avalon earlier in the day. As I was trying to conceive of what could have happened, I realize one of my friends switched the power button to off. Phew! But boy did I feel a little silly!
LOL, that made me chuckle :p

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have the complete works of F. Scott Fitzy but i think somebody here said it was him a long time ago cause i was gonna go buy it then i heard it was by FSF and checked the Works and there it was.

I

·
0 Posts
BambiB said:
This probably qualifies as weird user behavior, but...I opened my cover the other day to start reading and there was nothing on the screen. No screen saver, *nothing*. My heart sank to my toes as I realized that I had let some friends look at Avalon earlier in the day. As I was trying to conceive of what could have happened, I realize one of my friends switched the power button to off. Phew! But boy did I feel a little silly!
Have a blond moment there? :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
My kindle had some funky behavior this weekend. I turned it on and nothing happened. I had turned it off after reading the night before. I knew the battery was low so I plugged it in and tried again. It came up after that but was very slow. Once the home page came up, I didn't have any more problems. It scared me. I hope it was just a one time thing.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I had some weird behavior out of mine last night.  First time.  It froze on the page I was reading.  I could not change the page.  No forward.  No previous.  Wouldn't even turn off.  WN was not on.  I did the reset on the back.  Which eventually turned it off.  Took three tries.  The battery was charged.  I left it alone and this morning it's fine.
:-\
debbie

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
KimmyA said:
My kindle had some funky behavior this weekend. I turned it on and nothing happened. I had turned it off after reading the night before. I knew the battery was low so I plugged it in and tried again. It came up after that but was very slow. Once the home page came up, I didn't have any more problems. It scared me. I hope it was just a one time thing.
Was it cold? The Kindle is very sluggish if you let it get cold. It perks up as it gets warmer.

Anytime your Kindle is acting strangely try to reset it. Resetting fixes problems 99% of the time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It wasn't cold. It was in it's cover and inside another bag. Had not been outdoors. Hopefully it won't happen again, but if it does, I'll do a reset and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts