Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The book I submitted has 30 reviews, 29 at the time I submitted. Average rating 4 stars.

For the curious, I submitted Sweetwater American.

Boo, there goes my marketing plan. :(

My plan was to place an ad in Bookbub in time for my latest release, hoping that if readers liked SWA they would go on to buy my latest release.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Eileen said:
The book I submitted has 30 reviews, 29 at the time I submitted. Average rating 4 stars.

For the curious, I submitted Sweetwater American.

Boo, there goes my marketing plan. :(

My plan was to place an ad in Bookbub in time for my latest release, hoping that if readers liked SWA they would go on to buy my latest release.
Did they give you a reason?

I haven't bothered to submit because each of my books has something that makes it unsuitable for them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
David Thayer said:
Eileen, I'm really surprised given the number and quality of your reviews.
I was quite surprised. They said they have too many submissions and would normally love to feature books such as SWA but just couldn't because of the number of submissions they are receiving.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake' said:
Did they give you a reason?

I haven't bothered to submit because each of my books has something that makes it unsuitable for them.
They said they have too many submissions. Oh well, onward and upward.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So sorry to hear that. What category were you buying for the book?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I was thinking of going through them in a few weeks (when I might see money again), but I kind of figured I'd not even get through the door with their propensity to turn people down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Vince Dickinson said:
Goodreads supposedly has an author promotion tool, but I haven't checked it out, yet. Anyone know if that helps?
The self-serve ads are terrible actually -- lol.

I put $100 into a campaign that I started in November 2011. I still have $82 left on my account. That's pretty bad. This is just clicks. The same ad gets a lot of clicks on Facebook -- not saying it translates to sales, but they at least click. On Goodreads, like nobody clicks.

Now if you're talking about the big ads that the trad publishers buy, then I have no idea. But I do know they are expensive, like $2500-$5000. I am not willing to take a risk like that unless I could get some data from other authors on its effectiveness. The great thing about Bookbub is partially to do with everyone reporting their results here and we can see it is worth the money.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Vince Dickinson said:
Sounds like Bookbub was a great idea until a lot of people got that idea. On to the next thing indies can try.
Bookbub is still great if they accept you.

Their problem is that you need to have reviews first and a well-regarded book. So that's hard and won't work for new releases. On the other hand, they are better than the sites that require 4 stars. Bookbub is more flexible with the rating -- you can be under 4 stars. Probably not under 3.5 though.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Eileen said:
I was quite surprised. They said they have too many submissions and would normally love to feature books such as SWA but just couldn't because of the number of submissions they are receiving.
That's normally s signal to increase price.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Eileen said:
They were no doubt being truthful. They get a lot of submissions for a limited number of slots. They turned down Talon of the Unnamed Goddess for the same reason, saying they'd had heavy fantasy submissions and were fully booked for the month. So I submitted A Kingdom's Cost which is (as many of you know) historical fiction. They accepted it.

We have to remember that for each genre they don't accept an unlimited number. Fortunately, they only book a month ahead so it's always possible to book it for a later ad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts