Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my KK since mid-November (Vampy and I got ours on the same day) and I love it.  For some reason, though, for the last week MyK won't hold a charge for even 24 hours!  This is making me a bit more crazy than usual...  sigh.    :'(

I'll be putting in for a CS call as soon as they open.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Songbird, that's terrible :'(

Have you tried resetting?  Also, do you have an SD card?  Is it seated firmly?  If you have an SD card, have you tried it without the SD card?

Please let us know what CS says.  I suspect they'll send you a new battery.  You're definitely under warranty.

Betsy

·
Registered
220 Posts
SongbirdVB said:
I've had my KK since mid-November (Vampy and I got ours on the same day) and I love it. For some reason, though, for the last week MyK won't hold a charge for even 24 hours! This is making me a bit more crazy than usual... sigh. :'(

I'll be putting in for a CS call as soon as they open.
I had that problem a month or so ago. In my case something had triggered a re-indexing of everything on the KK (which I didn't realize at first and just assumed a battery problem), which was draining the battery. I just left it plugged in and on for a day or so and it was fine. YMMV of course.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have an SD card, just checked and it's seated properly.  Haven't tried it without the SD card since I put it in before Christmas.  I'll see what CS says...

The irony is that I had just ordered a replacement battery when this started happening.

I left it plugged in and on all day Sunday.  Last night it was at half, this morning it was dead.  WN off except for 5 minutes yesterday morning when I purchased a couple of books.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My daughter was having problems with hers and we discovered it was the charger.  She started using my charger and that took care of the problem.  Unfortunately, if you don't have an extra charger laying around you won't know whether it's that or the battery.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Patra said:
My daughter was having problems with hers and we discovered it was the charger. She started using my charger and that took care of the problem. Unfortunately, if you don't have an extra charger laying around you won't know whether it's that or the battery.
Great idea, Patra. I forgot to mention that I have the iGo charger as well as the standard charger, it doesn't seem to matter which one I use though.

Your dog is ADORABLE. Has a look that says "put the camera down and SNUGGLE. NOW!"

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys rock... 

I've tried 3 different outlets (work and 2 at home), no change.

Just got off the phone with CS, they want to do a reset which will delete all of my books.  I'm in the process of transferring everything to the SD card so I don't have to reload any of my non-Amazon books.  Because they don't mind at ALL, here at work, when I'm putzing around with MyK!  ::)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
If you remove sd card; be sure to turn K off first.  People have ruined things just pulling the sd card out.  I've paid for and have had a battery backordered for two months.  Good luck; keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alrighty then.  All content transferred to SD card and firmware reset complete.  MyK is a virgin again!  ;D

CS says it might be the fact that I have a lot of content, that MyK is trying to index constantly.  I think CS is full o'beans but whatever.  I'm going to transfer 2 books back to MyK, then remove the SD card.  If MyK dies again tonight or tomorrow we'll know that is not the issue and then they'll fix it.  If I DO have too much content I'll just keep most of my stuff on the SD card until I'm ready to read it, and keep the SD card OUT of MyK except when transferring.  :-\

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
24 pages...  ;D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
SongbirdVB (but you can call me 641) said:
24 pages... ;D
Even 24 pages of content shouldn't create the problem you are having with the battery. I know of many Kindle owners whe have 20+ pages of content and don't report these problems.

Sounds like you are systematically eliminating possible causes. Hope you fine the answer. Let us know.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I have 32 pages on a combination of SD card and Kindle memory.  24 isn't really much.  I'm sure there are members that have more than I do.  I've got a 16GB SD card, incidentally.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I said, CS is full o'beans. The size of the SD card was another question he asked.  Said there were issues if the card is over 4GB.  Mine is only two so that ruled that one out as well.  I'm sure it's the battery.  That being said, Amazon does have one of the best CS departments I'm aware of at eventually solving problems.

The charge light is off now so I'm unplugging and will use MyK as usual.  We'll see what the battery does now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts