Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know, Shimmerspell is a novella of about 22k words. All of my other reviews mentioned it being fast paced, but they seemed to still enjoy it. Well, not this time. My newest review on amazon was one star. She seemed to like the beginning, but it went downhill for her after that. She even went as far as to say she wouldn't recommend it.  :(

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Kimberly Spencer said:
As you all know, Shimmerspell is a novella of about 22k words. All of my other reviews mentioned it being fast paced, but they seemed to still enjoy it. Well, not this time. My newest review on amazon was one star. She seemed to like the beginning, but it went downhill for her after that. She even went as far as to say she wouldn't recommend it. :(
Woohoo! That's that unpleasant milestone done with. Have a tub of chocolate-toffee icecream and a bottle of Baileys, and celebrate! ;)

·
Registered
982 Posts
I really dislike it when people review books that they didn't even finish. I hated A Game of Thrones so much that I stopped 30% into it, but I didn't give it a review to show my dislike of it.

I'll stop there before I start ranting.

Anyways, it wasn't too bad of a review. At least you have positive reviews that outweigh it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Kimberly Spencer said:
Thanks you guys. :)

@Ryne: Really? I love the tv show so I was thinking about reading it. I guess it might be smart to sample it first.
I'm sure it's not that bad of a book, to be honest. I just found that I only cared about one of the POV character. If you don't care about the characters in a book, then there's no reason to continue reading.

I'm not saying that I disliked any of the characters. I felt apathetic to all of them except for one. If I had hated them, I probably would have wanted to see what happened to them.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I heard Game of Thrones is epic. I've been wanting to read it for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it (huge TBR pile -____-).

In any case, chin up, lovely! Your book has some really complimentary reviews, and the person who wrote this is definitely in the minority.
It was bound to happen sometime, unfortunately. I suppose when that day arrives you're never fully prepared, but even the greats have gotten less than stellar reviews before (Some people hate Harry Potter and Twilight, and they are phenomenons!). You are in good company! =D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PMartelly said:
I heard Game of Thrones is epic. I've been wanting to read it for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it (huge TBR pile -____-).

In any case, chin up, lovely! Your book has some really complimentary reviews, and the person who wrote this is definitely in the minority.
It was bound to happen sometime, unfortunately. I suppose when that day arrives you're never fully prepared, but even the greats have gotten less than stellar reviews before (Some people hate Harry Potter and Twilight, and they are phenomenons!). You are in good company! =D
Thanks! That's how I'm trying to look at it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ryne Billings said:
*shakes head* But only one of those series were good. Even Stephen King agrees with me.
(sigh) Yes, yes. We all know Stephen King thinks Stephanie Meyer can't write, but hey, regardless of what you think about the series, it was still well-recieved by the general public (and by that I mean her target audience -- crazed teenage girls lol).

In any case, I LOVE Lord of The Flies and The Giver, and I can't imagine how some people dislike it. But some people do.
One thing I remember reading somewhere is that sometimes it's not even you as a writer. Sometimes, the wrong reader just happened to pick up your book. Or they had expectations coming in as to what the story might be like from the blurb, and it wasn't what they expected. I believe that happens sometimes. It has definitely happened to me as a reader.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Kimberly Spencer said:
Lol, you're funny. I really liked Twilight.
I like to make jokes about Twilight and am part of an anti-Twilight group on another forum that I barely frequent anymore.

The truth is that I think Stephenie Meyer is a very talented writer and have read almost everything she's written, excluding her novella only.

I can never forgive her for making vampires sparkle though. I was a big vampire fan before that.

As I tell everyone, Twilight is not a vampire series with romantic elements. It is a romance series with vampiric elements.

That allows me to sleep better at night.

·
Registered
982 Posts
PMartelly said:
(sigh) Yes, yes. We all know Stephen King thinks Stephanie Meyer can't write, but hey, regardless of what you think about the series, it was still well-recieved by the general public (and by that I mean her target audience -- crazed teenage girls lol).

In any case, I LOVE Lord of The Flies and The Giver, and I can't imagine how some people dislike it. But some people do.
One thing I remember reading somewhere is that sometimes it's not even you as a writer. Sometimes, the wrong reader just happened to pick up your book. Or they had expectations coming in as to what the story might be like from the blurb, and it wasn't what they expected. I believe that happens sometimes. It has definitely happened to me as a reader.
Oh heavens no. You just had to bring up The Giver, didn't you.

I will never get that story out of my head. It was not my type of fiction, and my teachers forced me to read it. I should have pulled a 1984 and just used wikipedia and google to prevent myself from having to read it.

Good, I've vented now.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ryne Billings said:
I can never forgive her for making vampires sparkle though. I was a big vampire fan before that.

As I tell everyone, Twilight is not a vampire series with romantic elements. It is a romance series with vampiric elements.
LOL. I agree with the vampire sparkle comment. I used to read Anne Rice before Twilight, so I was like, "Seriously?! No. Just... no." lol
But Twilight was a pretty good story to me. Now, Breaking Dawn on the other hand...

Ryne Billings said:
Oh heavens no. You just had to bring up The Giver, didn't you.

I will never get that story out of my head. It was not my type of fiction, and my teachers forced me to read it. I should have pulled a 1984 and just used wikipedia and google to prevent myself from having to read it.

Good, I've vented now.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. lol The Giver was extraordinary to me, and he hates it (shakes head). lol

·
Registered
489 Posts
Kimberly Spencer said:
You two have me cracking up, which I have to say, is an awesome way to distract me. :D
We do what we can, we do what we can ;D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ryne Billings said:
Just pretend that we're two little kids fighting. I'll just be a year younger than her in 14 days, lol.

I do think that she's trying to bring up books that I don't like though. After all, she brought up Anne Rice. :D
Jeez, I will just never win with you! lol But we both do agree on Christopher Paolini, and that's what matters. We need to hug this out lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts