Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I've finally joined the *one Star* club!

I can't even laugh at it being a silly one. Apparently, my book is boring, ridiculously stereotyped, and failed beyond words!  :(

Just felt like having a moan. Is anyone passing out the chocolate and cake today?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Rlyon said:
...I've finally joined the *one Star* club!

I can't even laugh at it being a silly one. Apparently, my book is boring, ridiculously stereotyped, and failed beyond words! :(

Just felt like having a moan. Is anyone passing out the chocolate and cake today?
If it failed beyond words it might have been helpful for them to add a video with animations or something ;)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chrystalla said:
*offers cake, choc-chip cookies and hugs*
Ooo, yum. They'll go nicely with my consoling cup of tea. ;D

Shane Murray said:
If it failed beyond words it might have been helpful for them to add a video with animations or something ;)
*spills cup of tea down dressing gown* Thanks for making me chuckle. ;D

·
Registered
737 Posts
The review is pretty self-negating. I generally read the one star and the four star reviews when I'm thinking of buying and that one did more to put me off the reviewer than it did to put me off the book. Possibly because I'm not in love with werewolves*.

___

* I've met one or two that I've quite liked, but not in that way. Maybe I just haven't met the right werewolf yet.

·
Registered
855 Posts
** chocolate filled macaron from Paris **
Also, this reviewer is kind of limited, I went to look at her other reviews and there was one book she liked, "It was awesome beyond words..." I guess her vocabulary is really limited!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Condolences...

Small piece of advice that has worked for my morale: NEVER read reviews below four stars. The lower the star, the more petty and insulting they tend to be (although I will read them right at the very beginning when I first publish, to insure I haven't done anything wrong like typo's or formatting issues).

The key to better (improved) writing is more writing. Reading a review from a disgruntled turd can stifle your creativity and reduce your desire to write. Who needs that? Stay away from the negativity and keep moving forward. If for some reason you think your writing is substandard, use online resources (infinite on the internet) to improve your quality, but NEVER rely on poor reviews (or even mediocre reviews - 3 star) to "inspire" you to greatness - lol.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lady_O said:
** chocolate filled macaron from Paris **
Also, this reviewer is kind of limited, I went to look at her other reviews and there was one book she liked, "It was awesome beyond words..." I guess her vocabulary is really limited!
Do you know, I've never had a macaron? (I know. I don't get out of my cave much.) They're so pretty too! I'm going to save it for a celebratory occasion. ;D

ChristopherDavidPetersen said:
Condolences...

Small piece of advice that has worked for my morale: NEVER read reviews below four stars. The lower the star, the more petty and insulting they tend to be (although I will read them right at the very beginning when I first publish, to insure I haven't done anything wrong like typo's or formatting issues).

The key to better (improved) writing is more writing. Reading a review from a disgruntled turd can stifle your creativity and reduce your desire to write. Who needs that? Stay away from the negativity and keep moving forward. If for some reason you think your writing is substandard, use online resources (infinite on the internet) to improve your quality, but NEVER rely on poor reviews (or even mediocre reviews - 3 star) to "inspire" you to greatness - lol.
I know I shouldn't read them, but it's a masochistic addiction. I've yet to perfect the art of reading the good reviews without letting my eyes drop to the bad ones. Self-control? What is that? ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
You shouldn't really feel bad about the review... The reviewer maybe...

And off on my own little rant... ONE paragraph??? How can that be considered a review? Its a freaking footnote at best.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think you can drop that one into the ignore pile. They don't really say much to back it up their criticism. It sounds like this person had their own subjective ideas of what a werewolf story should be.

Also ... Your book sounds really interesting and has great reviews! Makes me want to read it!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I find most one-star reviews boring, ridiculously stereotyped, and having failed beyond words. :p :p :p :p

Hang in there. We've all got the stamp of one and two star reviews. It validates that no matter how good your story or writing, there will always be a reader (or ten) who just won't like it… no matter what.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I know we all hate it when it appears but, really?  It isn't scathing.  It doesn't berate your work and suggest an editor when you may have a top rate editor who combed through your book very carefully.  You have 33 reviews, have sold or given away, how many books?  This one star opinion just rounds out the experience.  YOU keep on because the bulk of your reviews are stellar. 

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aw, hugs. I try to make it a point not to read reviews, although now that I've turned to fiction writing (under a pseudonym), it's a little harder to keep up that standard. Our Renegade Writer books tend to get 5- and 4-star reviews, but we've had a couple 1- and 2-star ones out of the 86 or so total reviews. It happens. Sometimes your work just doesn't connect with someone and they feel the need to bitch about it. One of the ones we received claimed that everything we wrote about he or she already knew ... and I had to laugh because if they already knew it, why wasn't I seeing their name all over the newsstands? (We write books for journalists/nonfiction magazine writers.)

When I'm buying a book, I do tend to look at the 1-star reviews because they often make me want to buy a book. I know that sounds crazy, but the thing they complain about is often what I like ("there was too much graphic sex!").

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Avarian said:
And off on my own little rant... ONE paragraph??? How can that be considered a review? Its a freaking footnote at best.
Seems to be a trend. I think either once they see that a book already has lengthy reviews they don't feel they have anything to add or they are giving in to Amazon's nagging and leave the bare minimum.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
To the OP:

Your subject said it all. It had to happen. It happens to every book on Amazon eventually. You're never going to please everyone.

The review is obviously a personal opinion and should be taken as such and nothing more.

To some of the other posters:

Do we really have to bash the reviewer to make the OP feel good?

ChristopherDavidPetersen said:
Reading a review from a disgruntled turd can stifle your creativity and reduce your desire to write.
Calling a reviewer a "turd"? Really? :eek: Are we regressing back to elementary school?

So the review is short. So it didn't give details. The reviewer didn't attack the author personally. It's a verified purchase. The reader has the right to express an opinion.

Brian Spangler said:
I find most one-star reviews boring, ridiculously stereotyped, and having failed beyond words.
I find some authors' reactions to reviews they don't like boring, ridiculously stereotyped, and having failed beyond words.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You can't have written the most ridiculous book ever, because I did.  It's nothing but wall-to-wall sex and no character development, you know.

I have no cake, but I do have Easter candy.  Those little Butterfinger NestEggs...mmm...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Welcome to the club! I'm not a member, but I would be if someone actually read my books...lol

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The first one is like ripping off a bandaid.  Read it really quick, then it's over.

I think you need a "chocolate cake moment" ... as Cyle and I call them. 

I'll admit that I mash my teeth my together and feel sorry for myself ... but Cyle is my sounding board ... she nods her head in agreement and listens patiently while I bemoan all the horrible things I think and feel towards the words said about my ****flake book and, in the darker moments, contemplate the sanity of the reviewer (i.e: what does "you feel manipulated" even mean?!  You read a fictional book with a twist ending.  Suck it up darlin').  Then, finally sated and feeling like I've been heard, I let it go.  But that, the ability to confide and complain is like eating an entire chocolate cake and ingesting zero calories...ergo, the name of these minor meltdowns. 

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry about the one star.  Try not to let it get you down beyond a moment or two, and please don't let it stop you from producing more work.  I don't have a one star yet, but when I get there I hope I can treat it like I used to treat a rejected manuscript.  After a while I just decided to look upon them as proof that I was out there, doing the job, and rejection was part of the job. No rejections meant I wasn't even doing the job of getting stuff out there.

Maybe that is a bit emotionally creative, but what the heck, it worked for me.

Hope you feel better soon.

Your Pal,
Lina

PS Now I want macaroons!  Even some of those Manischivetz (sp?) ones!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts