Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st day of Select run - 1300 DLs, made #6 in Paranormal Fantasy
2nd day - 500 DLs, made #5 in PF
3rd day - 300 DLs, made #3 in PF (somehow)
4th day - <100 DLs so far, down to #7 in PF

Can't end the promo since I informed all the sites it was a 5-day... guess I should stick to a 3-day at most next time.

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
glutton said:

Can't end the promo since I informed all the sites it was a 5-day... guess I should stick to a 3-day at most next time.
Much better results than my first giveaway! Hopefully you'll get some good reviews from these readers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Becca Mills said:
Much better results than my first giveaway! Hopefully you'll get some good reviews from these readers.
One 5 star and one 3 star on Amazon and one 3 star and one 1 star :( on Goodreads so far, and 15-ish new Likes (not sure if a couple of those came from here and not the DLer's) so far. Kind of expected since my stuff is definitely NOT for everybody.

·
Registered
389 Posts
glutton said:

I ran my first promo for 3 days and had a similar slip. My conclusion is that on the first day, every promo site you applied to has your book at the top of their list. On the 2nd day it drops down a notch or two. By the 3rd day you're lucky if you're above the equator of the page.

Just my opinion, but I think I'd limit my giveaways to 2 days at a time. The results might be stronger overall. Good luck :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
StephenBrennan said:
I ran my first promo for 3 days and had a similar slip. My conclusion is that on the first day, every promo site you applied to has your book at the top of their list. On the 2nd day it drops down a notch or two. By the 3rd day you're lucky if you're above the equator of the page.
And on the 4th and 5th days...

StephenBrennan said:
Just my opinion, but I think I'd limit my giveaways to 2 days at a time.
What would you do with the 1 day left in the Select period, run a 1-day promo? I'd imagine some sites might get annoyed with 3 promos for the title in 90 days, so maybe one 2-day and one 3-day?

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Actually, I had my strongest results on Days 4 and 5, with the weakest results on Days 2 and 3.

Not all sites that you submit your info to will post it on the first day. Only 3 places posted mine, and only one of those was on the 1st day. The other ones were on Day 4, actually.

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
glutton said:
What would you do with the 1 day left in the Select period, run a 1-day promo? I'd imagine some sites might get annoyed with 3 promos for the title in 90 days, so maybe one 2-day and one 3-day?
It's really hard to come up with a hard and fast rule. I did the full five days this last time and got a POI pick-up on the last day. You just never know.

For my second giveaway, which was back in May, I scheduled two days but was prepared to extend it if the book took off. That might be a good compromise.

·
Registered
389 Posts
glutton said:
And on the 4th and 5th days...

That may be true. Yeah 2 and 3 works.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
If I'd stopped at Day 3, I never would have slipped into the overall Top 100 Free list (at 76) or #20 on the Free Contemporary Romance list. It was the mentions I got on Day 4 that gave me enough momentum to get onto the second page of the Free Contemporary Romance list, which then gave me enough exposure to start getting more downloads at a quicker pace until I got to the first page of Free Contemporary Romance and into the Top 100 overall.

You really just never know. The only mention I got on Day 1 was at German blog, so my German downloads were nice that day, but my US downloads were all on my own, and not as strong as I'd have hoped.

I ended up with 5679 downloads at the end.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
If I'd stopped at Day 3, I never would have slipped into the overall Top 100 Free list (at 76) or #20 on the Free Contemporary Romance list. It was the mentions I got on Day 4 that gave me enough momentum to get onto the second page of the Free Contemporary Romance list, which then gave me enough exposure to start getting more downloads at a quicker pace until I got to the first page of Free Contemporary Romance and into the Top 100 overall.

You really just never know. The only mention I got on Day 1 was at German blog, so my German downloads were nice that day, but my US downloads were all on my own, and not as strong as I'd have hoped.

I ended up with 5679 downloads at the end.
Results will vary I guess. I had 1500 downloads over 3 days. Peaked at #4 I think in Horror>Ghost Stories (On the free list that is). When it was done though, I solidly ker-plunked back to where I started in the rankings. Pretty much the only benefits were the reviews.

That's my experience thus far :p

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've done the best with 3 day promos...I also stagger my notifications to Twitter Accounts and Facebook pages that offer retweets and posts that you can just add yourself. Invariably Days 1 & 2 have been my best days but 3 picks up the stragglers that found my notification late or didn't read their email right away. So even though the numbers aren't as high, I think there is still value in those last days.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I guess the 'you never know' people were right! After a boost a certain KBer-run Facebook page, the promo regained so much momentum it got MORE DLs on the 4th day than any other but the 1st!

Updated stats:

1st day - 1300 DLs
2nd day - 500 DLs
3rd day - 300 DLs
4th day - 600 DLs
5th - day 140 DLs and counting!

New Likes - 20+

Amazon reviews - 1 3 star, 1 5 star
Goodreads reviews - 1 3 star, 1 1 star :(

Sales of the sequel - 6X as many in 4 days as in the 2 weeks after release

Notable misc - 3 star review mentioned that the cover art was amazing - good job David and Christine!

Readers on a forum (that would never have picked it up if not for the promo) corrected 3 editing oversights for me!

Thanks Summer! And I don't think Select is dead...

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
glutton said:
Update: I guess the 'you never know' people were right! After a boost a certain KBer-run Facebook page, the promo regained so much momentum it got MORE DLs on the 4th day than any other but the 1st!

Updated stats:

1st day - 1300 DLs
2nd day - 500 DLs
3rd day - 300 DLs
4th day - 600 DLs
5th - day 140 DLs and counting!

New Likes - 20+

Amazon reviews - 1 3 star, 1 5 star
Goodreads reviews - 1 3 star, 1 1 star :(

Sales of the sequel - 6X as many in 4 days as in the 2 weeks after release

Notable misc - 3 star review mentioned that the cover art was amazing - good job David and Christine!

Readers on a forum (that would never have picked it up if not for the promo) corrected 3 editing oversights for me!

Thanks Summer! And I don't think Select is dead...
Awesome, glutton! :)

And remember that the Goodreads stars are differently described than the Amazon stars, so Gr review averages tend to be lower.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk 2

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, this will be the penultimate update before the grand finale, but the freebie got ANOTHER boost today from the Action-Adventure people after it was moved into that category, leaving it with well over 600 downloads at this time with 3 1/2 hours left until the end. Gotta consider it a successful promo since it's probably on track to reach 3500 DLs total, still I wish I had set it as Paranormal Fantasy and Action-Adventure earlier instead of PF and Fantasy>General (redundantly useless). I have failed you Action-Adventure people... and probably screwed myself out of a lot of extra DLs too. :'( Got a decent number of sequel sales too, Goodreads hates me though... got my second 1-star rating there, I guess they don't take kindly to invincible gothic girl warriors.

Also somebody used their monthly borrow to borrow my $0.99 sequel which is a short story, that's kind of odd... :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts