Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
I'm working on my will to live.
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure at least part of my writing ability was honed by years and years on Usenet. There was a time when, if you were any sort of writer, you were on there, somewhere.

We used to troll people like Stephen King, Peter Straub, and Terry Pratchett. Along with everyone else, of course. We called it Usenet Performance Art.

There was at least one summer when it seemed like everything funny that we talked about ended up in a Saturday Night Live skit. We didn't know we were interacting with the writers...

And Usenet got me referenced in a Simpsons episode! I think the episode is The Frying Game. Homer does what is known as a "snuh cascade", something very annoying that we used to do on Usenet. A friend talked to some Simpsons writers at ComiCon, and they confirmed that they were talking about Dean Humphries and myself.

How about you? Were you ever on Usenet? What groups did you frequent? I was mostly in alt.flame, alt.fan.karl-malden.nose, alt.rock-n-roll.metal.death, rec.music.hip-hop and a few others. But due to the Meow Wars (the movie Supertroopers actually referenced that one), I probably posted in half of the 30,000 newsgroups at one time or another. Legend has it that I had over 500 psuedonyms.

http://elizabethbaxter.blogspot.com/2012/05/guest-post-jason-christie-on-lessons-of.html

[URL=http://www.giganews.com/blog/2008/12/worst-top-10-list-ever-10-things]http://www.giganews.com/blog/2008/12/worst-top-10-list-ever-10-things
.html[/url]

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
No. Nope. Never even heard of usenet. I couldn't possibly be old enough to know what you're talking about.  :-X

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I was on USENET back before eternal September made professional trolls like you a thing. :)

I mostly hung out on rec.games.* - rec.games.roguelike in particular, I believe.

I was also an early participant in news.admin.net-abuse.email, back before it all went to hell because of, well, trolls.

--George, proud member of The Lumber Cartel (tinlc)...

·
Registered
I'm working on my will to live.
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nico said:
I'm afraid to go back and look at what i used to post on Usenet. :)
I'm pretty sure I'll never get a job outside of industrial pipefitting...

·
Registered
900 Posts
I collected recipes there. Oh and hung out in soap opera groups. Realized one of the FAQ keepers was someone I went to high school with!

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Okay, big reveal: I met my husband on Usenet.  I lived in a mostly-gay neighborhood in San Francisco, worked in the fashion industry, and, well, let's just say and it was the only place I could find a straight guy. Back then (we used pedals to power our modems) the baby internet was roughly 99.98% male, many of whom were in the Bay Area, and some of whom had already graduated from college.

I got one who hadn't yet. Alt.cougar, you could say.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Gretchen Galway said:
Okay, big reveal: I met my husband on Usenet. I lived in a mostly-gay neighborhood in San Francisco, worked in the fashion industry, and, well, let's just say and it was the only place I could find a straight guy. Back then (we used pedals to power our modems) the baby internet was roughly 99.98% male, many of whom were in the Bay Area, and some of whom had already graduated from college.

I got one who hadn't yet. Alt.cougar, you could say.
I met my husband in a MUSE. Nice to meet you.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
jnfr said:
I met my husband in a MUSE. Nice to meet you.
Oh man, MU*s. I hadn't thought about one of those in years, not since that book about one came out way back when. I spent way, way too much time on a couple of them back in the mid 1990s, though I never met anyone from one IRL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts