Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been almost 10 years since I joined KBoards. I think this was my second post that I ever made. A member asked how I'd started making a living with my writing, and in my response I sound as confused as anyone. I was bewildered back then, and not much has changed.

Yesterday, the news dropped that Apple has made a series order for the WOOL TV show. I've known this was coming for a few weeks, so why the relief? Because we've been working on this show for over two years, and I haven't been able to utter a peep. I went to LA and worked in a writers' room to get these episodes laid out, and I couldn't say anything. As we hammered the ten scripts together, I needed to stay mum. And the casting news came in, one role at a time, and still no announcement.

If you know anything about me, it's that I probably share too much. I love letting readers know what's going on, and I love swapping war stories with fellow writers. It's what keeps this from being such a solitary endeavor.

A huge thanks to everyone at Kboards, which was really my WeWork space for most of my writing career. What a crazy ride it's been. I keep saying that it'll stop tomorrow. And then it takes another turn. A lesson here is to appreciate every small accomplishment, like hitting a daily word count or wrapping up another short story or novel. It's all worth celebrating. And you have no idea where it might lead...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
It's been almost 10 years since I joined KBoards. I think this was my second post that I ever made. A member asked how I'd started making a living with my writing, and in my response I sound as confused as anyone. I was bewildered back then, and not much has changed.

Yesterday, the news dropped that Apple has made a series order for the WOOL TV show. I've known this was coming for a few weeks, so why the relief? Because we've been working on this show for over two years, and I haven't been able to utter a peep. I went to LA and worked in a writers' room to get these episodes laid out, and I couldn't say anything. As we hammered the ten scripts together, I needed to stay mum. And the casting news came in, one role at a time, and still no announcement.

If you know anything about me, it's that I probably share too much. I love letting readers know what's going on, and I love swapping war stories with fellow writers. It's what keeps this from being such a solitary endeavor.

A huge thanks to everyone at Kboards, which was really my WeWork space for most of my writing career. What a crazy ride it's been. I keep saying that it'll stop tomorrow. And then it takes another turn. A lesson here is to appreciate every small accomplishment, like hitting a daily word count or wrapping up another short story or novel. It's all worth celebrating. And you have no idea where it might lead...
Years ago, when I first started out, I read WOOL. At first I thought that was the strangest title for a book, and it took me a while to figure it out. I loved it, especially your opening line, which I've never forgotten, and the background story of how WOOL came into being. You plowed the field for a lot of us and I for one am very grateful. Can't wait to see the movie! Marti

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I saw it on a news feed yesterday. Congratulations. Can't wait to see it the adaptation.

·
Registered
Sea of Two Suns
178 Posts
Congrats! Will be interesting to see how the TV adaption portrays the story.

·
Registered
256 Posts

I was dying to ask you what happened. I'd googled Wool, but had only found some trailers that, well, didn't look so promising. But I figured since you weren't volunteering any info, things must be kinda bad, or, so good that you have to keep your mouth shut not to jinx it. So I didn't ask. So glad for you it was the latter! Congratulations, I read Wool and you certainly deserve it.

When is it going to air?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rebecca Ferguson is perfection. Anything she touches turns to gold. I'm not going to lie, I'm beyond super envious.
She's so perfect for this role. The only other actor who I could imagine pulling off the intensity of Juliette would be Lena Heady, but unfortunately Lena is going to be busy on another project of ours. :D

But seriously, yeah, this is insane. Still processing it all. And just trying to enjoy every little baby step.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was dying to ask you what happened. I'd googled Wool, but had only found some trailers that, well, didn't look so promising. But I figured since you weren't volunteering any info, things must be kinda bad, or, so good that you have to keep your mouth shut not to jinx it. So I didn't ask. So glad for you it was the latter! Congratulations, I read Wool and you certainly deserve it.

When is it going to air?
The trailer you saw was probably a book trailer that Random House UK put out years ago. There's another that my German publisher made. We've never done one for any of the film or TV adaptations.

Staying mum was less about jinxing it than it was about upsetting studios. They like to be in charge of when things are announced, which I 100% respect. I'm trying to earn a reputation as someone who can keep their fool trap shut, and it's been a struggle.

Air date should be in 2022. Shooting this summer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
She's so perfect for this role. The only other actor who I could imagine pulling off the intensity of Juliette would be Lena Heady, but unfortunately Lena is going to be busy on another project of ours. :D

But seriously, yeah, this is insane. Still processing it all. And just trying to enjoy every little baby step.
I imagine it must be quite incredible to see your initial pages now turned into film and, importantly, with someone you envisaged for the role. As mentioned in another thread, I always start writing with a certain actor/actress/singer or even just someone I saw in the street who looked interesting in mind. Well done to you, sir.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wow. Well done! Looking forward to the show.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The trailer you saw was probably a book trailer that Random House UK put out years ago. There's another that my German publisher made. We've never done one for any of the film or TV adaptations.

Staying mum was less about jinxing it than it was about upsetting studios. They like to be in charge of when things are announced, which I 100% respect. I'm trying to earn a reputation as someone who can keep their fool trap shut, and it's been a struggle.

Air date should be in 2022. Shooting this summer.
I will re-sign up my Apple TV subscription then just to watch it. (For anyone else who is interested, right now anyway, it's $4.99 per month.)

And thanks again for starting the sci-fi contest, I am going to enter. But can I make a request?

Mark Lawrence's Fantasy contest seems to be overwhelmingly skewed in favor of warrior/swords/battle/war books. Of the contest's winners, only one was a woman and she had to initialize her first name and entitle her book "The Sword of Kagen" to do it. I liked Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones as much as anyone, but, c'mon already...

So, when you choose your sci-fi bloggers, could you maybe keep an eye out for bloggers who have a proven track record that they aren't skewed in favor of warrior/laser sword/battle/war books? I would hate for it to end up being a Star Wars lookalike contest.

It's your contest and you can run it any way you flippin' well choose, I'm just askin.' :)

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Ha! I remember when you danced in a silly hat for 100 reviews!

KBoards was so epic then. All the good stuff happened here. Then we moved to Facebook. Now it's split between there and Clubhouse. All still great. Indies banding together is how we've gotten this far.

Congrats, Hugh!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, when you choose your sci-fi bloggers, could you maybe keep an eye out for bloggers who have a proven track record that they aren't skewed in favor of warrior/laser sword/battle/war books? I would hate for it to end up being a Star Wars lookalike contest.

It's your contest and you can run it any way you flippin' well choose, I'm just askin.' :)
This is absolutely our aim. I won't have any voting power at all on my end, but we are trying to put together a great group of reviewers who have different tastes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts