Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I figured out Sigil, I've been wanting to take a personal project or two and go nuts with it.  So for those of you who have more experience with ebook formatting than I do, what are some of the cool things you can do with an epub?  I know you can add custom fonts and dropcaps, though I haven't yet figured out how to do it.  What else are epubs capable of?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You can wrap text around images. This lets you do things like use a big woodcut image (vintage) and let the text flow around it as if it was set that way.

(For the record, you can drop caps on mobi as well, but the different Kindles fail hard at processing them correctly. Even with a media declare the PaperWhite screws up what looks good on the Fire, etc.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you do that?  I know basic HTML, but I'm kind of a hack at it.  Also, if you're going to wrap text, is  it generally a good idea to set the image width to a certain percentage of the page width rather than a given size?  And if so, how do you do that?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/CSS_HowTo has some info.

In general, the mobileread site has a lot of good formatting instructions. In addition, you can take a look at some of the public domain projects completed by some of the better designers, and deconstruct their markup.

Look for Alice in Wonderland and Three Men in a Boat as examples.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts