Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if Amazon has any rules against taking parts of your published book and creating an eBook out if it and selling it elsewhere, like your website?

I published a book on Amazon which is in paperback and Kindle form, back in January. I know you aren't allowed to sell books in other places if you are in KDP Select (which I am, or at least was...I forgot if there is a time limit for that?)

What I want to do is take, for example, a chapter of my book and expand on it, making it bigger, and then selling it on my website as an instant download.

Can I do this?

·
Registered
577 Posts
You can't have a sample comprising more than 10% of the content of the book available anywhere else.

So if you make sure it's still less than 10%, you'll be good to go.

HOWEVER, you say you're going to be modifying it? I'd imagine if you change it enough that it's no longer the same, you might be alright anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you figure out how much 10% is? lol I guess I'd have to count the pages and get out my calculator, lol

But yes, I did intend to add more words, probably delete some, etc. Basically update it and make it complete on it's own. But a lot of it will probably stay word for word, so that is the part I was worried about.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You may want to read the TOS. Because you're talking about selling a portion of a book Amazon has the rights to. Yes, you can have 10% of your book elsewhere, but this is for advertising purposes.

IMO, what you're thinking about doing will just paint a big ol' target on your back.

·
Registered
577 Posts
ImaWriter said:
You may want to read the TOS. Because you're talking about selling a portion of a book Amazon has the rights to. Yes, you can have 10% of your book elsewhere, but this is for advertising purposes.

IMO, what you're thinking about doing will just paint a big ol' target on your back.
I didn't see the 'selling' part of the post, I thought it was a freebie reader magnet.

That does change it.

I still think, though, that you could maybe get away with taking a chapter and changing it up a lot. Unless KDP are able to accuse you of plagiarising yourself? I wouldn't put it past them.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Gareth K Pengelly said:
I still think, though, that you could maybe get away with taking a chapter and changing it up a lot.
I agree. Change the title and significantly change the content and a bot will sail right on by you. Don't do that and you become a bot magnet. If you're lucky you'll just get a nasty gram from Amazon. If you're not so lucky you become a 404/dog page in the store.

I really can't see amazon letting something like this slide.

OP, just uncheck the box and wait until you're out of your Select cycle. It's 3 months. Then you can do whatever you want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ImaWriter said:

I tried to read the TOS but didnt find the answer in there. I know what I'm not allowed to do, but what I want to do isn't EXACTLY that, so I thought i would get some clarification from real people, I have a hard time understanding legal terms and techy words, lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ImaWriter said:
I agree. Change the title and significantly change the content and a bot will sail right on by you. Don't do that and you become a bot magnet. If you're lucky you'll just get a nasty gram from Amazon. If you're not so lucky you become a 404/dog page in the store.

I really can't see amazon letting something like this slide.

OP, just uncheck the box and wait until you're out of your Select cycle. It's 3 months. Then you can do whatever you want.
Yeah, if I have to, I will opt out of KDP Select (my current enrollment ends in only a week so that is good timing!)

But there are cons to not being in KDP Select and I'd rather stay in it, if possible. And yeah what I would be doing is creating a whole new title just for that section, adding parts, deleting parts, and basically making it a standalone "book" although it will just be a 5-10 page PDF, not exactly a book.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Just rewrite the same idea in different words. If you're talking about only a part of a book, it's a few days work to stay on the right side of your biggest partner's terms of service.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
J. Tanner said:
Just rewrite the same idea in different words. If you're talking about only a part of a book, it's a few days work to stay on the right side of your biggest partner's terms of service.
I'm not sure yet how much I would re-write, but how different would it have to be, if it has a different title/cover, etc.? Would every single sentence hae to be rewritten?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
GaiaGoddess said:
I'm not sure yet how much I would re-write, but how different would it have to be, if it has a different title/cover, etc.? Would every single sentence hae to be rewritten?
None of us know all the ins and outs of Amazon's bots and algos. But a bot can scan your page in seconds--probably milliseconds. If all you've done is change a few sentences here and there, that's an edit, not a significant change.

Is Amazon going to come after you because your content is only 60/70/80% different from what you've given them the rights to? No clue. And frankly, if it were me, I would just refrain from trying to play a game of chicken with them.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Why do you want to take a chapter and try to sell it as something different? This seems like you’d wind up with fans feeling like they’d been ripped off by being sold a story that’s substantially similar to another story.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
GaiaGoddess said:
Basically, yes, Because your current book is exclusive with Amazon.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
Why do you want to take a chapter and try to sell it as something different? This seems like you'd wind up with fans feeling like they'd been ripped off by being sold a story that's substantially similar to another story.
I was assuming she meant non-fiction, but perhaps that's a bad assumption.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
>OP, just uncheck the box and wait until you're out of your Select cycle

Why can't people see how easy it is to stay out of trouble? If the OP doesn't like the restrictions imposed by Kindle Select, the obvious solution is to get out of Kindle Select, not to try to game the system.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ShayneRutherford said:
Why do you want to take a chapter and try to sell it as something different? This seems like you'd wind up with fans feeling like they'd been ripped off by being sold a story that's substantially similar to another story.
It's not fiction, it's non-fiction, and each chapter is a whole different subject. My book is about holistic health and it covers a LOT of different areas and could technically be turned into 20 books.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
notjohn said:
>OP, just uncheck the box and wait until you're out of your Select cycle

Why can't people see how easy it is to stay out of trouble? If the OP doesn't like the restrictions imposed by Kindle Select, the obvious solution is to get out of Kindle Select, not to try to game the system.
I wanted to stay in KDP Select for the simple reason that there are a lot of benefits, and I will probably lose money by leaving it. I am not trying to game the system, that is why I am clarifying before I do anything.

·
Registered
300 Posts
KDP Select offers those benefits precisely to get you to sign on.

The only way to be sure you are clear is either:
1) limit your side project to less than 10% of the current book in Kindle Select or
2) Pull the book from Kindle Select, then you can do whatever you want.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Gareth K Pengelly said:
You can't have a sample comprising more than 10% of the content of the book available anywhere else.

So if you make sure it's still less than 10%, you'll be good to go.

HOWEVER, you say you're going to be modifying it? I'd imagine if you change it enough that it's no longer the same, you might be alright anyway.
That only applies if you are in select. Otherwise, you can do what you like. Select lasts 90 days and then re-enrols automatically if you don't stop it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts