Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brainstorming for my next book and I don't even know what genre to do.  I'd like to write something that has a chance of selling and being found on Amazon.  What is oversaturated and what isn't?  I also have my own limits of what I can write.  I'd like to write just a basic novel, but need ideas, or humorous fiction.  But, I don't want to write romance, paranormal, and fantasy which seem to be most popular.  Is there any niches left, or has it all been done?

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
thomas88 said:
I'm brainstorming for my next book and I don't even know what genre to do. I'd like to write something that has a chance of selling and being found on Amazon. What is oversaturated and what isn't? I also have my own limits of what I can write. I'd like to write just a basic novel, but need ideas, or humorous fiction. But, I don't want to write romance, paranormal, and fantasy which seem to be most popular. Is there any niches left, or has it all been done?
If you want your book to be found on Amazon, you're going to need to advertise it somehow.

It's pretty much all been done, but that doesn't mean that you can't do it, too. Just tell the story in your voice, with your spin on it.

There are plenty of other niches to write in than romance, paranormal, and fantasy. There's action & adventure, suspense, thriller, mystery, cozy mystery, horror, sci-fi, etc. And of course there are also many sub-genres within those genres that you can choose to write in. Maybe just pick a couple of sub-genres that appeal to you, read some of each, and see which one you think you could write, then do some brainstorming and give it a try.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
My own take on it is that the best genre to write in is the most popular one you feel comfortable writing, and you have adequate knowledge of the genre as well. You don't have to be nuts about it, or a raving fan of the genre necessarily, but you should have enough appreciation for it that when you write in it, it is genuine.

Romance, paranormal and fantasy may be the biggest selling genres, but they're not the only ones where an indie could get traction. Next time you're in a box store that has a reasonably decent book section (i.e., more than two or three short shelves), take a look at the different genres offered. There are still action thrillers that sell, spy novels that sell, military adventures that sell, and sci-fi -- they may not be selling bucketloads but if the store stocks them they must be selling enough to merit that shelf space.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
thomas88 said:
I'm brainstorming for my next book and I don't even know what genre to do. I'd like to write something that has a chance of selling and being found on Amazon. What is oversaturated and what isn't? I also have my own limits of what I can write. I'd like to write just a basic novel, but need ideas, or humorous fiction. But, I don't want to write romance, paranormal, and fantasy which seem to be most popular. Is there any niches left, or has it all been done?
What do you like to read? What touches you? That might be a good place to start. Amazon has a million niches but not many gold-tiled hallways. Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My highly scientific method of compiling data by browsing Amazon and noticing what comes up the most suggests that cozy mysteries are huge and not yet over-saturated. Bonus points if it has a historical setting and/or it's set in England, although contemporary stories set in New England coastal towns are also pretty popular right now.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Whatever genre you end up doing, take the time to learn it, read as much of it as you can, and have someone who knows the genre beta read. Nothing will set you back more than to try to write something you don't understand. You don't have to like it, just be able to write it (which I personally can't do myself, but this is the advice I always get, because business).

·
Registered
2 Posts
My advice:

Get Chris Fox's books Write to Market and Launch to Market (I recommend the entire series). Follow the instructions.

Get KDSpy and learn how to use it. It's how you're going to find the best niche to publish in right now. (It does some of the work for you that Chris recommends.)

Learn to write fast and don't be precious.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts