Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
List them here! :D

Also, are you surprised by the things that people pick out of your book? I don't have a big stack of highlights, but enough to see some kind of pattern. Being that my books are on the horror side, I would have thought the spookiest quotes would interest readers most. But it seems they highlight the most down-to-earth things from my book - things I didn't obsess over when writing.

From Dollhouse:
"Study your eyeballs out, get a high-stress job, get married, spit out a kid, get divorced, stress about everything, live out your life on antidepressants and too much coffee."

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
In Freedom's Sword, it is something I stole rather blatantly from Sun Tzu's The Art of War, reworded of course, but it accurately represented my main character's theory of war as he practiced it:

"If your opponent is stronger than you are, flee him. If he has more men, divide them. Never play his game. You must play your own."

It is exactly how Andrew de Moray won his battles.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
This one from No Good Deed surprised me. Other than the opening paragraph, it has the most highlights from the book:
Terrorists' goal was to create fear in hopes that citizens of a country would blame their own government for whatever policies that the terrorist groups had issues with.
When I went to look at quotes, I found one that someone highlighted and seemed to share three times less than a day ago. I don't even remember writing this line, but I guess I did. lol

Her eyes never left his face and he held her gaze like a falling man clutched a lifeline.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I was glad to see one of my more cheerful parts highlighted. :)This one from Sentence of Marriage has 20-something highlights:

Granny always said the more you try and hurry butter or men, the more of a muddle things get into.
There seems to be something of a theme to all of these from Mud and Gold:

There's no sense in grizzling over what you can't change.
Work doesn't get done by standing around thinking about it.
Contentment was not the stuff of dreams, but it was sufficient.
Never again would he take happiness for granted. It was something to be worked for, and to give thanks for every day.
And this isn't from my text, but some dark humour from a reader who's highlighted several passages. Her own shared note on one of them (a passage featuring an unpleasant man):
It's sad they didn't have toilets. I got huge amount of satisfaction cleaning ours...with his toothbrush ...next day just watched him brush...while I drank morning coffee! :) Thought still warms me. :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Top 3 from The Galactic Mage:

"Madeline was a nice girl, but about as sharp as the corners on a melon;"

"If she can be taken from you so easily as that, she never was yours to begin."

"Hell yes," Roberto cheered. "Now we're talking. Earth plants getting it on with alien azaleas. Oh yeah." He whooped and gently slapped the azalea on one leaf. "My brother," he said to it. "Get it on."

·
Registered
92 Posts
From Dining With The Doctor:

"Paint dries faster. Well, watercolors do. Acrylics are dicey. Oil paints will take days."

(In reference to the Lady Cassandra fruit leather recipe.)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
From Threads: Betrayal of trust is, by far, the very cruelest sin of all.

It's funny that you post this now. It looks like Amazon changed things up again, and I didn't notice until I went to check. I had to go to the UK site to find this. Now they apparently post things as people highlight them, and the most recent highlighted passage is one that never made it to the Top 10 before.

Edited: I went back, and saw that you can view "Popular Highlights" if you click "See all notes and highlights." News to me.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I have a couple of quotes from Marcel Proust in The End of the World that are the most highlighted, but of my own, this is the most popular:

"Yes, my dear, the future is now. Yesterday is tomorrow's past. Today has, alas, come and gone, leaving nothing but the memory of the present in your future history. It is time that you embraced what hasn't happened."

Edited to add that I now see it's tied with this one from the same book:

My father had left me with the words, "My lad, the world is now your oyster." And indeed it was: grey, rather slimy, and a sense of something fishy going on in the background that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Opening line from Tear in Time:
"Life and destiny stood for one last moment, perfectly synced in time. Never again would the world see the past as they remembered, as one death would change the world's destiny forever."

Opening line from Secret Kinship:
"True atonement can neither be advertised nor celebrated. Its sin is a private nature to be considered between you and God alone."

Opening line to Tear in Time-2 (sequel):
"Two autos raced upon their destiny. The irony of life's tragedy had come full circle."
(to be release in March)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Every time I looked at my popular quotes, I feel much cleverer than I really am. I do love all of these from Taming Fire, though:

• "Do you really think you can blame all your tomorrows on your yesterdays? It's your life. It will be whatever you make it."
  • "It is never wise for us to punish the weak for the injuries the strong have done us."
  • "An easy life is too easily offered up for glory by a fool who cannot know the cost."
  • "I cannot change the past. I cannot undo what has been made, I can only shape the uncertain."
  • "The wizard lives in the world of what should be. What might be. What could be. For a wizard, 'what is' is just a starting point."

Interestingly, they're essentially all advice from the master wizard to the new recruit, even though that only makes up about half the book. I guess Claighan is the really clever one.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Wait...is there actually a way to see what people highlight on their Kindles?  Whaaa???  How did I not know this?  And how do I access it?

·
Registered
975 Posts
ElHawk said:
Wait...is there actually a way to see what people highlight on their Kindles? Whaaa??? How did I not know this? And how do I access it?
Scroll farther down your book page and look on the right side.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ElHawk said:
Wait...is there actually a way to see what people highlight on their Kindles? Whaaa??? How did I not know this? And how do I access it?
There's even a site amazon has set up for this - which I only recently discovered :)
This is the site: https://kindle.amazon.com You can search for your books on the top right.

Loving all these quotes!!
And yes, Aaron, the quotes do look kind of all special & clever when singled out like that :D

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Anya said:
There's even a site amazon has set up for this - which I only recently discovered :)
This is the site: https://kindle.amazon.com You can search for your books on the top right.
Wow, how cool! I didn't see anything by scrolling down the books' pages, but I did by following your link. Fun to see more readers' opinions! I even got an "ERMA GERD!" ;D

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I didn't know I had any on March Into Hell because they didn't show up on the Amazon page. I wonder how to make them show? Although I'm not sure I want them too because while there are some religious overtones, it's not preachy--I'm an almost lapsed Catholic--not exactly the religious sort! Most of the highlights are very religious sounding. Taken out of context and all together, it kind of makes the book look more religious than it is. Here's one that's not too bad:

Your savior is the person you see when you look in the mirror every morning. Every day is a new start. A day when you can choose to help.

·
Registered
773 Posts
From RACING INTO TROUBLE, the second book in my mid-grade series for horse crazy girls:

"Horses are scared of only two things ... things that move and things that don't."

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
John Daulton said:
Scroll farther down your book page and look on the right side.
Never knew… very cool.

A few of mine:

"Miracles aren't always a grand happening like the kind I learned about in Sunday school. Sometimes they're as small as giving someone a break."

"With the past behind me, I stay in today, since that is all we really have, anyway."

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
"It is when our values are the least helpful that we hold to them. Through those trials, we find goodness.”

“Wisdom is what you make of it. It can easily serve two sides of the same coin—the merciful, forgiving face or the one of hate and avarice.”

1 - 20 of 31 Posts