Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, this is me being my nosey self! You're perfectly within your rights to tell me to "do one", of course. ;D I'm just intrigued to see how much of the market some of the smaller retailers actually have. Be sure to say what genres you write in, because that would give a better picture. I also think this type of info would be very helpful for someone who's contemplating whether or not to go exclusive with Select.

Okay, here are my rough percentages:

Genres - Lesbian romance and erotica - All novelettes/novellas, priced between $1.99 - $3.99

Amazon: 74%
Smashwords: 15%
Barnes & Noble: 4%
iTunes: 4%
Kobo: 2%
ARe: 1%

At the moment Amazon is beating the other outlets by a mile, but sales on B&N and iTunes are slowly starting to pick up.

All right, who's up next?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Kindle - 40%
Paperbacks Amazon - 33%
Paperbacks Wholesale - 10%
KOBO - 4%
B&N - 6%
ITunes - 5%
Website - 2%

Rounded percentages.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Here are mine for one of my pen names (YA Romance). I'm still missing some sales for January since Smashwords didn't report them yet, but I don't think it will drastically change anything.  ;D Amazon improved a lot in December and January, but it's slowing down again.  ::)

Amazon: 30%
B&N: 47%
Apple: 20%
Smashwords: 1%

·
Registered
836 Posts
Interesting - I hadn't calculated this so I just ran the totals for 2012. Nearly all of my sales in 2012 were from my 6 cookbooks, so almost all nonfiction. The mystery and humor book in my signature are new.

Amazons  76%
B&N          14%
Apple        8%
Kobo          1%

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
These numbers are for October - January, after I got a sequel to my most popular book out to the other stores. Skewed somewhat in favor of Amazon because the other series is still in Select (but it doesn't sell a lot, so).

I write SF/F.

Amazon    - 84.8%
BN          - 9.2%
Kobo        - 4.6%
Apple      - 0.7%
Smash      - 0.15%
Paperback - 0.3%

·
Registered
783 Posts
Approximate numbers:

My YA fantasy series: Amazon 60% and BN 40%.

Adult fantasy books: Amazon 75% and BN 25%

I have a few sales on Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords but not enough to make running the numbers worth it. Sales are starting to pick up at Kobo and iBooks, though, so this may change in the coming months.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Lit Fic and MG fic (romance isn't enough to skew the results)

Amazon 35%
iTunes 35%
BN 15%
Smash 5%
Kobo 5%
Goodreads 5% (if they ever actually pay...)

That's the digital.
25% of my INCOME comes from paper--Direct bulk orders first, CreateSpace second, then Lightning Source.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Great question! I write contemporary romance. Mine are rounded percentages as well.

Amazon - 35%
B&N - 40%
iTunes - 20%
Smash - 1%
Sony - 2%
Kobo - 1%
Are - 1%

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
smreine said:
Amazon - 100%

What is it they say about eggs and baskets? It's a good thing, right?
Consolidate your eggs in the biggest, strongest basket you can find, they say. Why would you put good eggs in those shoddy little baskets? They could break at any time!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Heads up to all of you who love analysis:
Why the huge discrepancies?  Why does one author sell next to nothing on B&N while it is primary for another?  Why does one do well on Kobo and Apple, and have them not even a blip for another?  Is there some kind of information here to dig out?  Or is it skewed by authors having some (or all) or their books in Select for at least part of the time covered?

·
Registered
559 Posts
smreine said:
Amazon - 100%

What is it they say about eggs and baskets? It's a good thing, right?
Yeah me to. I struggled with it for a while, but dealing with 1 fulfillment house is enough of a pain in the A**. I can't imagine having the time or patience to deal with another one.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Sapphire said:
Heads up to all of you who love analysis:
Why the huge discrepancies? Why does one author sell next to nothing on B&N while it is primary for another? Why does one do well on Kobo and Apple, and have them not even a blip for another? Is there some kind of information here to dig out? Or is it skewed by authors having some (or all) or their books in Select for at least part of the time covered?
It's hard to get traction on other retailers. Amazon tends to be higher for the average author because their discoverability engine is far superior, but it seems that judicious use of permafree and patient audience-building means you can eventually get a solid chunk of reader eyeballs on other vendors, too. It helps to write in certain genres (romance and erom do well on B&N, I've heard) and, as always, having a large backlist is also very helpful.

gljones said:
Yeah me to. I struggled with it for a while, but dealing with 1 fulfillment house is enough of a pain in the A**. I can't imagine having the time or patience to deal with another one.
Roughly every ninety days, I decide I'm going to leave Select again. Then I start trying to pass epubcheck, making multiple versions of my backmatter, and visit Smashwords again. I just end up reenrolling, every time. ;D I will stop being lazy someday, promise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lady Vine said:
Yes, this is me being my nosey self! You're perfectly within your rights to tell me to "do one", of course. ;D I'm just intrigued to see how much of the market some of the smaller retailers actually have. Be sure to say what genres you write in, because that would give a better picture. I also think this type of info would be very helpful for someone who's contemplating whether or not to go exclusive with Select.

Okay, here are my rough percentages:

Genres - Lesbian romance and erotica - All novelettes/novellas, priced between $1.99 - $3.99

Amazon: 74%
Smashwords: 15%
Barnes & Noble: 4%
iTunes: 4%
ARe: 1%

At the moment Amazon is beating the other outlets by a mile, but sales on B&N and iTunes are slowly starting to pick up.

All right, who's up next?
Non-Kindle: 36%
Kindle = (100% - 36%) Hmmm... I guess that would be 64%.

I'm looking for ways to expand, but it seems my audiobook sales have died. C'est la vie! I don't have anything in print. I'm hoping to attend a DWS workshop for that.

·
Registered
559 Posts
smreine said:
It's hard to get traction on other retailers. Amazon tends to be higher for the average author because their discoverability engine is far superior, but it seems that judicious use of permafree and patient audience-building means you can eventually get a solid chunk of reader eyeballs on other vendors, too. It helps to write in certain genres (romance and erom do well on B&N, I've heard) and, as always, having a large backlist is also very helpful.

Roughly every ninety days, I decide I'm going to leave Select again. Then I start trying to pass epubcheck, making multiple versions of my backmatter, and visit Smashwords again. I just end up reenrolling, every time. ;D I will stop being lazy someday, promise.
I don't consider that being lazy.
I personally made the decision that I want to spend more time writing and less time screwing around with 15 different vendors.
Now if I can just cure a couple of minor addictions I have
1.Screwing around on kindleboards
2.Neurotically checking sales every 15 minutes
any advice?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts