Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turn to James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. With its humor and gentle insight into human nature, it just "takes me away," when I need that. :)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Serendipitously, it will be available again on Kindle the 28th of this month.

I'll also read Roger Zelazny's "Amber" series, unfortunately still not enKindled in spite of my best attempts (see sig).

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Oh, and of course most of Pratchett's "Discworld" books, possibly leaving out Night Watch and Jingo, as they deal with subjects that can be a bit depressing, even though handled with satirical wit.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The Chronicles of Narnia.

In publication order.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
There are several.

"Kushiel's Dart" by Jacqueline Carey (entire series).

"Santa Olivia" by Jacqueline Carey

"You Suck" by Christopher Moore (entire series).

"Dirty Jobs" by Christopher Moore

"Fool" by Christopher Moore

"Harold and the Purple Crayon" (yes, the kids' book.  It always makes me smile and puts me in a playful, imaginative mood).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.

It just gives you inspiration as you follow Kilgore Trout on his mission to discover just who has been reading all his works.

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

What can be said that hasn't already been said about this classic.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Mary Renault's The Charioteer which (*cough*) for some mysterious reason I have in eBook form although it isn't released. I was sworn not to share it so...

Why? It was about behaving with honour whatever society thinks of you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
P. G. Wodehouse. Absolutely. Never fails to get me giggling.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
tkkenyon said:
Harry Potter. All 7. Especially #3: The Prisoner of Azkaban.

(I'm such a dork sometimes.)

TK Kenyon
Not a dork at all, or at least if you are so am I because I have re-read them so many times they are starting to fall apart.
I also love re-reading some of my favorite chick lit authors like Kristan Higgins. Really any light fluffy read that will take me away for a couple of hours will do.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Ann Herrick said:
I turn to James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. With its humor and gentle insight into human nature, it just "takes me away," when I need that. :)
That takes me back! I remember reading the James Herriot novels on the train on the way to school.....

When I'm so stressed I cant concentrate, I read Harry Potter...and very therapeutic they are to.
For regular stressed out situations...historical romance...anything and everything, anytime! The escapism of a well crafted HR with the dashing heroes and wonderfully evocative settings makes my worries flee away.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't have a book I reread, but I do have two authors who I turn to, who always make me feel better: Rex Stout (Nero Wolfe series) and Loren Estelman (Amos Walker series).  Works every time.

Graham

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
pre-kindle it was either Robert Fulghum or George Carlin.  now it's Carlin because Flughum's books are not available for the kindle.

edited---  decided to re-check and all the Fulghum books are now available.  thanks for making me look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I make it a point to read Watership Down at least once a year, and have done this ever since High School, which is several rabbit-life-spans ago.  Strange as it may sound, I will also take On Writing off the shelf on occasion and just flip to random points in the book and start reading.  Same thing with David Mamet's On Directing.  The masters always have something useful about storytelling to remind you about.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Ann Herrick said:
This is funny because I've read and reread those books many times. Especially when I'm needing a safe and comfortable place to visit. My mom and sister enjoy James Harriet too. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Me too on the nerdy Harry Potter Series re-reading!

And like a good Canadian girl, I return home immediately (even from far off Asia) when I read the Anne of Green Gable series.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I tend to re-read the classics: Alice in Wonderland, The Great Gatsby, Frankenstein, etc. There's something about reading classics that's therapeutic to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts