Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really enjoying the thread "Given Up on a Book." It's really helping me avoid some "turkeys." But on the other end of the spectrum, what books did you love so much that you would read them again?

The only books I have come upon so far that I would reread are Stephen King's The Stand and Anya Seton's Katherine. I have only just read The Stand but I enjoyed it so much I plan on rereading it. I've read Katherine twice already.

I'd be interested to hear what books you have loved so much that you would reread them.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've read Pride & Prejudice at least once-a-year since I was about 14.  :eek:  That's a lot 'o years...

There are many other books but that's the one I read the most.  The writing and social mazes make me smile each and every time.

·
Registered
447 Posts

Reading this book is a good way to learn what our soldiers go through overseas. Learning about the SEAL's training is incredible too. It's a good read anytime. It helps me think, remember and say prayers for our guys overseas.
I might reread it on 911, Memorial Day or Veteran's day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The book I re-read the most is Ransom by Julie Garwood. Whenever I'm not sure what to read next, I grab that one.

Now with the Kindle, my TBR pile is so huge I may not be re-reading for a long time

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'm a big time re-reader. (Although, now that I have a Kindle, there are so many free and cheap books that it is seriously cutting into my re-reading!) Probably my most re-read book is The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. My grandparents gave it to me for Christmas when I was around 8, and I've re-read it every year around Christmas for a long time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have re-read a lot of books over the years: Harry Potter, for example. Every time a new one would come out, I would go back and re-read the previous books, then read the new one. So I guess I've read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at least 8 times!

I have also read The Iliad and The Odyssey a bunch of times, in different translations, and I never tire of them.

More re-reads for me:

The Raj Quartet by Paul Scott (4 books, must have read them 4 or 5 times)
The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz (have read them at least 3 times)
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (even as an adult, I never tire of them)

I'm sure if I think about it a bit I'll come up with more. No wonder I can't get through my new books!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Suzanne said:
The only books I have come upon so far that I would reread are Stephen King's The Stand and Anya Seton's Katherine. I have only just read The Stand but I enjoyed it so much I plan on rereading it. I've read Katherine twice already.
I've read Katherine several times. If you like that, you might want to try Susan Howatch's Wheel of Fortune. The Bronwyn character is based on Katherine Swynfford. Unfortunately it's not Kindleized, but you might be able to find it at the library.

I couldn't begin to list the books I've reread and want to read yet again. I'm rereading Outlander for the Book Klub, but I usually read that one every year or so.

I recently got Howatch's The High Flyer and The Heartbreaker for Kindle, and I'll be reading those for about the fourth time. The first one in the trilogy isn't available on Kindle. I've read all of her books multiple times.

I think I'll stop there. I've read most of my 1200 or so DTB's more than once.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have the One Year Bible so I re-read the Bible every year
Stephen King's The Stand
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander
Philippa Pearce's Tom's Midnight Garden (not available on Kindle) is my favorite childhood book that I re-read often
And... any of the classics (which is why I appreciate feedbooks & manybooks) - Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities, Crime & Punishment, Little Women, The Iliad & The Odyssey etc.......

·
Registered
224 Posts
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  (actually heading to a book club party this evening to discuss)
Watership Down by Richard Adams.
Chronicles of Narnia, CS Lewis.
Lord of the Rings

I guess there is a pattern here of going back to read books I first read as a teen or pre-teen and getting an entirely different message out of them as an adult. 

Kahbita - I've done the same thing w/ the HP books.

Book I'm planning to reread: Eat, Pray, Love

B

·
0 Posts
We have, literarally, a whole room full of books that get re-read frequently.  If a book isn't worth re-reading, we don't keep it.  I'll trade it in at the used book store.

Re-reading old books helps us keep our book budget under control.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Suzanne said:
Gertie, I went and ordered Wheel of Fortune from Amazon. Got a used copy for a penny and $3.99 shipping. It looks just like something I would love. Thanks for the tip.
Every time I can introduce someone to SH's wonderful books, I am happy. Just so you can keep track of the players, Oxmoon is England, The father is Edward III with references back to his father Edward II. Robert is the Black Prince, John is John of Gaunt, and it goes all the way down to Henry V. I love the way she recreates the historical figures. As she says, "The Wheel of Fortune is a recreation in a modern dimension of a true story."

If you like that one, Cashelmara is Edward I up to and including Edward III with the estate of Cashelmara representing England.

Happy reading ... all 1171 pages of it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine is more authors that I reread. Tolkien (my first reread), De Lint, McCaffrey, Gaiman, Tepper, Briggs and some others. Like someone said earlier, when a new book comes out in a series, I often reread the older books first. Sometimes if an author comes out with a new book, part of a series or not, it will cause me to start rereading all of their stuff.
Bacardi Jim said:
And that too ;D

B

·
0 Posts
So many re-reads for me it is hard to list them. Most memorable though are Jane Eyre, HP series, and Little House series. Then, there was a time when Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was constantly in my hands. I still have my poor beat up copy with my name in the front cover in my 10 yr. old cursive hand. I still has its original dust cover.

In fact, Jim used it to scan the Willy Wonka pic for his screensaver thread.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
We have, literarally, a whole room full of books that get re-read frequently. If a book isn't worth re-reading, we don't keep it. I'll trade it in at the used book store.

Ditto here....except now I have to get those old favorites on Kindle so I'll have to spend money on them again...
A little at a time, though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Khabita said:
More re-reads for me:

The Raj Quartet by Paul Scott (4 books, must have read them 4 or 5 times)
The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz (have read them at least 3 times)
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (even as an adult, I never tire of them)

I'm sure if I think about it a bit I'll come up with more. No wonder I can't get through my new books!
The Outlander series and HP are tops on my list. I used to re-read LOTR, but love the movies so much that I haven't re-read those in a long time. Me bad!

Khabita, I loved the Raj Quartet books! Boy, it's been a long time since I've even thought of those. I wonder if they are on the Kindle. Gotta go check that out! I also love Nahguib Mahfouz's work. I think I have most of this books in DTV.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
ScrappingForever said:
I used to re-read LOTR, but love the movies so much that I haven't re-read those in a long time. Me bad!
I'm worse than you. I never read LotR until after I saw FotR in the movies. Then I read The Hobbit and the trilogy. Yes, the movies are fantastic. Every once in a while I'll watch all three one right after the other.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts