Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(maybe because a better dream came along, such as writing.  :) )

I was horse crazy, so my childhood dream was to some day own a racing stable in Kentucky and have a horse in the Derby. Didn't happen.  ;D I'm okay with that.  :D

So, what was your dream that didn't come true, but you're okay with that?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I wanted to be an actress, but then I wanted to be a half dozen other things also.  It all could have turned out worse; so I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I'm ok with not being a singer, actress, ballet dancer, fashion designer, artist, or architect, to name some of my childhood dreams. I'm not sure how I feel about the veterinarian thing though. Sometimes I regret having not pursued it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
When I imagined my future husband's name, it was Scott. I did not marry a Scott. Nor a Scot. Closest I got are dogs of Shetland Island ancestry. I also did not become a secretary or a gymnast.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I wanted to be an artist - make my living doing commercial art, and so some painting on the side so I could be famous after I died. Turns out I could, indeed, paint better than the average child, but, sadly, never was good enough to make a go of it.

But, I'm okay with that - I have other means of expressing my creativity, and now I get to paint and draw with my little one, so I'm fine. I still get to enjoy it - I just don't have to worry about making a living out of it.

(I also wanted to act, but I have a face for radio. Unfortunately, I have a voice for silent films, as well. sigh.)

·
Registered
393 Posts
When I was about six or seven years old I wanted to become a Paleontologist.  :'(

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Kelvecion said:
When I was about six or seven years old I wanted to become a Paleontologist. :'(
How cool! I went through a real fossils stage myself.

I wanted to become a naturalist. Do you still get naturalists? I was heavily under the influence of Gerald Durrel, David Attenborough. I had visions of being a marine biologist, or any kind of scientist who worked conserving our environment and the beings that live in it.

Now I'm an artist / teacher. I realised that a lot of my motivation for being a scientist was also what drew me to art. But I do still wish a little that I could do more for the environment...

·
Registered
393 Posts
mashadutoit said:
How cool! I went through a real fossils stage myself.

I wanted to become a naturalist. Do you still get naturalists? I was heavily under the influence of Gerald Durrel, David Attenborough. I had visions of being a marine biologist, or any kind of scientist who worked conserving our environment and the beings that live in it.

Now I'm an artist / teacher. I realised that a lot of my motivation for being a scientist was also what drew me to art. But I do still wish a little that I could do more for the environment...
Yeah, I grew up on an almost weekly TV diet of David Attenborough. His enthusiasm and hypnotic narration held me spellbound through his broadcasts. Land of the Jaguar, another BBC documentary, gave similar treatment to the environment but, while not wanting to sound melodramatic, nothing compared to the Attenborough material.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Kelvecion said:
Yeah, I grew up on an almost weekly TV diet of David Attenborough. His enthusiasm and hypnotic narration held me spellbound through his broadcasts. Land of the Jaguar, another BBC documentary, gave similar treatment to the environment but, while not wanting to sound melodramatic, nothing compared to the Attenborough material.
Have you read his autobiography? It's really good. There is an earlier one called something like Zooquest that is pretty good, but the latest one is called "Life On Air". I came away feeling even more respect for him. Amazing, amazing man.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have it. Interesting and rather upsetting sideline here. I wrote to David Attenborough in I think 1997 requesting his autograph. I got a return letter from his wife stating he was in Africa filming a series on birds, but sent me a signed card he'd left for such requests. His wife passed away the same week. Very sad and haunting to read her letter. Yep, we are getting off topic. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Kelvecion said:
I have it. Interesting and rather upsetting sideline here. I wrote to David Attenborough in I think 1997 requesting his autograph. I got a return letter from his wife stating he was in Africa filming a series on birds, but sent me a signed card he'd left for such requests. His wife passed away the same week. Very sad and haunting to read her letter. Yep, we are getting off topic. 'nuff said.
How sad!

But back on topic - I also wanted to be an actress. But soon realised that was not to be. It can actually be quite liberating to discover you have ABSOLUTELY no talent for something. Makes the choices easier. ;D

·
Registered
137 Posts
As a teenager I wanted to be a neurologist, but never had the brain for math and science and thus would prolly flunk out of med school.  I also entertained the idea of being a psychologist because I love psychology, but alas -- too much schooling.  Switched to Journalism my junior year of college, loved it, but couldn't find work.  I've thought about going freelance for a number of years, and tried a few times, but was unsuccessful.  S'ok.  I fell in love with novel writing and haven't looked back.

Interestingly enough, my grandmother was a newspaper columnist.  So it is in my blood. 

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I wanted to do for print journalism what Barbara Walters did for TV-- namely, the feature stories that she did on various people and subjects.  Obviously didn't do it.  lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts