Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My soon to be released book is only 5k words shorter than my first one. Yet when I formatted it to kindle through draft2digital, the location is 1-3600 instead of 1-5000 with my first one.

To make it more confusing, my short story that is 10k words is 1-600 locations.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
67,442 Posts
locations are specified by data bits/bytes.  It's a defined number.

The thing is a space also takes up some number of bits, as does a line break, page break, chapter heading, etc.  And of course any embedded images are likely to take up many bits -- bytes even.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Kwalker said:
My soon to be released book is only 5k words shorter than my first one. Yet when I formatted it to kindle through draft2digital, the location is 1-3600 instead of 1-5000 with my first one.

To make it more confusing, my short story that is 10k words is 1-600 locations.

Any thoughts?
The way I understand it, Kindle locations are block-level elements within the HTML. For anyone unfamiliar with HTML layout, that mostly means paragraphs. (But, as Ann said, that also includes page breaks, embedded images, that sort of thing.)

That means a book with lots of short paragraphs (dialogue, poetry, etc.) would have a lot more locations than a book with really long paragraphs (like a textbook) even if they had the same number of words.

It's also possible, depending on the formatting, to have things that look like paragraphs that aren't (using a
or line-feed instead of a proper paragraph break), which would give you a smaller number of locations. Draft2Digital should convert such things into proper paragraphs, though, so I don't know how you could end up with 600 locations for a 10k-word story.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts